Slave Race: 18/?
by Nan Smith and Linda Garrick

He applied the repulsers as gradually as possible. The deck grew hot beneath the soles of his feet, but Ed wasn't worried. Comishvor's lifeboat had special shielding and more power, range and speed than the standard escape craft. Naturally. Comishvor would never scrimp on his own personal safety. The craft was more like a miniature scout ship. He lifted his feet from the deck, grimacing slightly at the heat. He'd discarded the borrowed boots hours ago. They'd hurt his feet too much.

Slowly, he brought the ship out of her dive, seeing below him a towering mountain range. He opened his shields. *Cory?*

No reply.

*Cory!*

Nothing. His friend must still have his shields up. Edwin circled for a moment, thinking. Comishvor's ships were all coated with a material designed to make it difficult for planetary sensors to get a definite lock on them, but hanging around up here was going to make him a target in short order. The city of Franik was approximately four hundred kilometers to the southeast set high in the foothills of this mountain range. Without further consideration, he set a course for it, hugging the ground.

He concealed the ship in a cave against a rocky cliff side, some distance away from the city, itself . He was on the vast, Franik Wildlife Preserve, and, hopefully, there wouldn't be too many people around.

Well, he was here. He had arrived safely. Now he must locate Cory and Loreen. He looked down at the long, gaudy cape he wore over his pink, silken pajamas. Rapidly he went through what supplies he had been able to find on the little vessel--no clothes; only standard emergency gear. There were blankets, medical supplies, emergency equipment, and food--lots of food. Naturally, again. Comishvor would have made certain of that. He stuffed what he could into an emergency blanket, knotted it, and slung it over his shoulder. Using gauze, he bound up his feet and slipped them back into the boots. He hoped he wouldn't meet anyone until he'd had time to secure some decent clothing. The pajamas were going to attract attention, and the cape was no better. He looked like a miniature Jil in it.

Munching a nutrowafer, he emerged from the ship, setting the panel so it would respond only to his voice code. He glanced around.

He was in an evergreen forest that spread for hundreds of kilometers to the south and east of the actual city. The air was nippy and smelled of autumn. He glanced at the chronometer-odometer he wore on his wrist. Twenty-five kilometers to Franik. If he kept going, he should make it by this evening.

He went silently forward through the trees, shields open, senses scanning like radar. The mind of a Jilectan intruded suddenly on his senses and he snapped his shields closed, terrified for an instant that he might have been recognized for what he was. After a long count of fifty, he lowered his shields again. He hadn't been spotted.

Something moved off to his right and he faded back into the underbrush, shields up tight. A Jilectan strode into view, accompanied by a Procyon servant.

Edwin remained frozen, watching. The alien was an immature male, his head covered with coppery curls that glinted in the late morning sunlight. His servant carried a large pack, a laser rifle and assorted accoutrements.

Ed remained still until the two beings had passed, then emerged from his hiding place. It was autumn, of course, and that meant hunting season. He'd have to be careful. He might run into more of the aliens before he could make it off the preserve.

Blast! Here came another one! Edwin faded back into the trees as a large, full-grown male accompanied by a female passed. Seconds later, he was forced to hide again as two males, apparently father and son, went by. Two servants trailed them, staggering under piles of supplies.

"Wait here, Terran!" the older Jilectan ordered. "You are intolerably noisy. Approach when I call you, and not before."

The Terran bowed, almost dropping one of the bundles. "Yes, M'lord."

Ed remained crouched in the underbrush as the two aliens moved off. The servants slumped to the ground as the soft crunch of footfalls dwindled. One of the men pulled off a boot and began to rub his feet. He cussed wearily.

"Yeah." The other man was also removing his boots. "I got blisters on both big toes. I hate the first day of the season!"

"Me, too! And I don't even think harkats are that good eating."

"They aren't, for us. The Jils sure like 'em, though."

"So do Arcturians. I once saw a Fish put away a whole harkat in fifteen minutes--a twenty pound one!"

"Yeah, right." The other man grinned disbelievingly, massaging his feet.

Harkat hunting season! Edwin groaned to himself. What rotten luck! No wonder there were so many Jils around. Harkats were the favorite game animals on Corala. Jils loved to hunt them because they provided just enough challenge and danger to make the hunt interesting. No one had ever been killed by a harkat, but a cornered one could turn on the hunter and slash with its foreclaws.

Well, maybe something could be gained from his ill luck. Edwin eyed the two Jil servants with interest. They were both larger than he, but neither as large as the men he had taken his present garments from. He needed clothing and shoes--if either of these guys had smaller feet than Ramon. Without further consideration, he raised the blaster and fired a stunbolt at the nearest servant.

The man dropped like a stone. The second man spun, and gaped as Edward rose from the underbrush. He started to reach for the holster at his hip.

"Uh uh." Edwin raised his own weapon. "Take the stunner off your belt and toss it away."

The servant hesitated, than did as he was told. Edwin waved the blaster. "Now, take off your clothes."

"Huh?"

"You heard me. Hurry up!"

The man started to obey, fumbling clumsily at the garments.. "What do you want?"

"I want your clothes. Hurry up!"

The servant's shirt dropped, followed a moment later by his pants. Edwin fired a stunbolt and the servant dropped.

In the distance, far away but coming closer, Ed heard the voices of the two Jilectans. They were coming back! Quickly, he hurried forward, snatched up the discarded clothing and boots, and ran.

He couldn't run far, still too weak from his injuries and long convalescence. Twenty meters from the two stunned men, he stopped, gasping, and began to pull the shirt over his pajamas. The Jilectans were approaching, calling in irritated tones for their servants. Edwin yanked the pants on, fastened them, and pulled the belt as tight as it would go. The legs of the garment, intended to reach only to mid calf on their former wearer, fell to his ankles. He turned them up, pulled off his boots, and slid his feet into the newly stolen pair. Amazingly, they were a better fit than the first pair.

The Jilectan voices were louder now, speaking in their own tongue.

"Where are they, father?"

"Straight ahead, I believe. I will beat that idiot soundly for this! How dare he..." The voice paused and there was a surprised exclamation. Edwin peered out to see the elder Jilectan prodding his servant with the toe of a furry hunting boot. "Wake up, fool!"

The figure on the ground didn't stir. There was a grunt of annoyance from one of the aliens. "This one has removed his clothing. Are they intoxicated, father?"

"I think not. They appear to have been stunned and robbed. Caution, my son. Their assailants may still be nearby."

Edwin faded back into the underbrush, careful to make no betraying noise. He heard the Jilectans speaking again.

"We had best go back to our aircar, call the ranger station and report the incident. Come quickly."

Leaving the two Terrans on the ground, the Jilectans moved off. Edwin let out his breath and waited until their footfalls had faded, then returned to his victims to pick up the bags and supplies that still lay beside the servants. There might be something here that he could use. One of the men was beginning to stir and groan. Ed moved quietly away into the trees, lugging his booty. Hopefully, if anyone saw him now, he would be taken for the servant of a Jilectan hunting expedition.

He kept his shields up, fearful that, with all the Jilectans in the neighborhood, he would be noticed. He saw several more hunting parties, but avoided them, sticking to the thicker underbrush. After perhaps half an hour had passed, he paused to examine his spoils.

One of the packs contained food--real food, not concentrates. Smoked marshhopper sandwiches, boiled eggs and coffee. Another, to his disgust, held Jilectan cosmetics and perfumery, of all things, while a third contained two long, furred cloaks and a rain hood. There were also several Terran apples, a supply of water, and two expensive bottles of Riskellian moonwine.

He sat down, concealed by a thick hedge of bushes, and relaxed, eating one of the sandwiches and swigging from a wine bottle. The early afternoon sun shone on his face, warming him. It had been a long time since he had felt sunshine on his face and the cool, autumn wind on his cheeks.

To his horror, he found himself dozing. He jerked awake, glancing quickly around. All quiet. Tentatively he lowered his shields, then snapped them into place again at the touch of three Jilectan minds not far away. This was no place to sleep!

He got to his feet, replacing the bottle in the pack, slung the bundle over his shoulder, and, still nibbling the sandwich, moved away through the forest.

Chapter 22

October 9
11:30

Cory slipped silently between ruined buildings, making for the part of town where he had glimpsed Loreen. All was quiet now? Where was Comishvor?

He opened his shields tentatively and did a quick scan. No Comishvor. Perhaps he had finally managed to lose the pursuit...

A mind touched his, and in an instant the gap closed with the feel of that other mind--a mind he had not felt for almost eight Coralan months.

*Ed! At last! Where are you?*

Ed's reply came at once, brimming with happiness. *I'm in a ship coming in. Where are you?*

*I'm in Franik, and I've got Comishvor after me. Ed, Loreen's alive!*

What!

*I saw her! She came out of an apartment on Forest drive--2100 Forest drive, here in Franik! If we can't contact earlier, I'll meet you there.*

*You're sure it was her?*

*Yes! She's gorgeous as ever... * Comishvor's searching mind touched his and Cory felt himself jerk convulsively at the contact. *Whupps! Bye!* He closed his shields, feeling a wash of sheer joy. Ed was here! They would be re-united soon!

A sound behind him. He looked back, saw dark figures moving along the dim alley, but sensed no minds. Shielding. Comishvor's men. Cory ran.

He turned right at an alley, whipped left into a second alley, and came up short. Dead end. Running footsteps behind him. No time to go back.

He looked frantically around. A ladder ran up the side of one crumbling building--an ancient fire escape. He didn't hesitate, but went up it, legs flying. He opened his shields, scanning, and was suddenly aware of another mind touching his--a Terran psychic mind, and not that of Ed.

*Hey! Hold on there! You need some help, buddy?*

*Who are you?*

*Terran Underground.*

The Underground! Cory felt a wild surge of hope. *Yes! I need help! I've got a Jil after me!*

*We're coming! Try to hold out!*

Cory reached the top of the ladder and stepped onto a flat-topped building covered with ancient stones, litter and filth. He ran across it, reaching again for the mind of his would-be rescuer. The Underground had found him! If he could just stay away from Comishvor a few minutes, he'd be safe.

*Hurry! He's right on my heels!*

*We're coming!*

Cory reached the edge of the building, looked frantically around, and located another fire escape ladder. He ran to it, started to descend, and had made it about three meters when dark figures appeared on the roof above, looking down. Someone shouted. An aircar passed overhead.

A stunbolt hummed and he knew a moment of utter incredulity in the realization that one of his pursuers had stunned him. Then he felt his fingers loosen and knew that he was falling.

Chapter 23

Edwin glanced at Corala's sun which now lay low on the western horizon. The scattered lights of the city's outskirts glowed around him in the darkness. He was tired--so tired that he felt he could go no further today. But Cory hadn't answered him, even though he had repeatedly tried to contact him. Cory must be in trouble. Had Comishvor caught him? If he had--well, Edwin might as well turn himself in again.

Except, what about Loreen?

Well, the obvious thing was to find her. Cory would head for her apartment as well--if he could. It was quite possible, Ed told himself, that he would find both of them when he got there.

He walked, trying to force his aching limbs on. After a while he realized he had been dozing, and jerked awake with a start. He must find someplace to pass the night. In the morning, perhaps...

He was in the middle of a lower class Jilectan neighborhood now--not a good place to stay for the night. Shields up firmly, he headed for the city proper. Jilectans passed him, and he gave them a wide berth, keeping his eyes down. The sun dropped below the rim of the horizon, and the city around him sparkled with lights. Gradually his surroundings were becoming shabbier, though still not the type of neighborhood he was used to. More Terrans and Procyons passed now, and even an occasional Tormheit or Arcturian.

At last, he could go no further. It was another five, maybe ten kilometers to Forest drive, but he simply had no energy left. A drainage ditch presented itself and he crept into it, wrapped one of the Jilectan robes around himself and was instantly deeply asleep.

Chapter 24

October 10, 2185
0730 Monday

Loreen Warren placed a platter of eggs and toast on the table. Cecil ate, not looking at her, casting frequent glances at Karl, who sat across from him. The boy seemed ill at ease this morning, and she wondered why. Stephen came into the room, whistling, and grinned at her. "Smells good, mom."

"Then eat. Looks like you're going to have to manage most of it, yourself, today. Karl's looking a little wan."

"I'm okay, mom." Karl, now fifteen, placed a forkful of eggs in his mouth and chewed manfully. Stephen grinned at him and took an enormous plateful.

"You'll never grow if you don't eat, Karl," Cecil said.

"I'm not very hungry, thanks, Father."

"I am." Stephen started to put away the food as though he hadn't eaten for a week.

"You're always hungry," Karl said.

Stephen laughed. "And you're just jealous 'cause I'm bigger than you."

Karl made a face at him. "I'd rather have brains than brawn."

"I'd rather have both," said Stephen. "And I do."

"That's enough, boys," Loreen said.

"More than enough," Cecil said, ominously

"Where's Ellie?" Loreen went out of the kitchen and into the little girl's room. "Ellie?"

Ellie was huddled in a miserable little lump beneath the blanket. "I don't feel good, Mommy," she whimpered.

"What's the matter? Are you sick?"

"My tummy hurts."

Loreen crossed the room to her. "Where?"

"Here." Ellie placed her hand beneath her ribs. "I feel sick."

Stomach flu, Loreen thought, resignedly. She'd thought they'd been a little too lucky in avoiding it this year. She felt the little girl's forehead. She was cool, but her eyes looked odd-- curiously bright. "Okay, honey, stay in bed. I'll bring you some soup."

"I don't want any soup," Ellie whimpered. "I feel icky."

"Okay. I'll go get the boys off." Loreen went to the door.

"Is Karl okay?" Ellie asked.

"Yes. Why?"

"I just wondered."

Loreen went out and returned to the kitchen. She felt strangely uneasy, although she couldn't pinpoint the reason for her uneasiness.

"Ellie's sick," she said.

Karl looked up. "What's wrong with her?"

"Tummy ache. Stomach flu, maybe."

Karl didn't answer. He stood up, took his plate to the sink and loaded it into the processor. Then he went out, and a moment later Loreen heard the door to Ellie's room open.

"Time to go, Karl!" Stephen yelled.

"Coming." Karl came out of his sister's room and went into the bathroom to brush his teeth. A few minutes later he emerged, books tucked under one arm. The boys went out, accompanied by Cecil. The door closed.

Loreen stood at the window and watched. Cecil and her sons emerged from the apartment, and Karl glanced up at the window, saw her, and waved. Loreen waved back, remembering for an instant the face she had seen peering from the aircar window at her yesterday. Cory? It had looked like him, but it couldn't have been. Cory was dead. He had been for sixteen years.

"Mommy?"

She went into Ellie's room. The little girl was sitting up in bed, looking pale, eyes even bigger now, the pupils widely dilated. "Honey, what is it?"

"I don't feel good! Something's going to happen!"

"How do you know?"

"I just do!" Her head turned. "I think someone's at the door."

A knock sounded. Disconcerted, Loreen went into the living room and peered through the peephole.

A man was standing on the step. He was clothed in loose pants and a bright yellow shirt. Both garments were much too large for him. His head was turned so she couldn't see his face, but there was something jarringly familiar about the thick, dark hair.

Loreen opened the door and the man turned toward her.

"Lori!" he said.

She stared, incredulous, unable to believe her eyes. He came a step toward her, and held out his arms. "Lori, it's me!"

A grey curtain seemed to be dropping over Loreen's eyes. She heard Edwin call her name a third time, and his hands gripped her arms. Then, suddenly, she was on the sofa and Ed was bending over her, a glass of water in his hand. "Lori, I'm so sorry. I should have realized what a shock it would be to you."

"Ed!" She clutched his hands, still unable to believe what she saw. "You're alive!"

"Yes. Very much so. Lie still. You're white as a ghost."

He hadn't changed, she saw--thick, dark hair, like Karl's, brown, beautiful eyes and white winning smile. "But... how... where have you been... all these years..."

"I thought you were dead, too."

"That *I* was!"

"It's a long story." He helped her to sit up. "When I woke up, after the fight, one of my rescuers told me that he saw you killed, and the other guy confirmed it."

"But you... didn't come back to make sure?"

"I was sure. I could tell they weren't lying. But I would have come anyway, if it hadn't been for Comishvor."

"Who? You mean, Comishvor, the Jil pirate? The one on all the wanted posters?"

"Yes. He's the one who saved me. I've been with him for the past sixteen years. Oh, Lori..." He took her hand, lifted it to his lips and kissed it.

She drew back sharply. "You mustn't do that!"

"Why not?"

"I'm married."

"Married!" He dropped her hand.

"Yes. I married Cecil--my fiance."

"But... you didn't love him!"

"I had no choice!" She felt the tears of anger rising and blinked them back. "I didn't love him, but I had to marry him! You were gone! No one knew--what we'd done! And I was carrying your child!"

He stared at her. "We had a *child*?"

"Y... yes!" The tears overflowed and she brushed them away furiously. "I woke up in the hospital. The police told me that I was the only survivor of the fight--that everyone else was killed!"

"But the pirate saw you killed--stabbed."

"I was cut pretty bad, but the blade missed anything vital. And then the nurse told me that I was pregnant... and the doctor...he wanted to... terminate the pregnancy, because they assumed I'd been... raped by my kid... nappers."

"My God!"

"I wouldn't let them. I told them I didn't believe in killing an unborn baby, and made them promise not to say anything to anyone. Three weeks later I married Cecil."

"So he thinks the baby is his?"

"I don't know! Sometimes he looks at Karl, and I don't know what he thinks!"

"Karl? You named our son Karl?"

"Yes. I've always liked the name, and Cecil didn't object."

"Karl was my father's middle name."

"What? It was? You didn't tell me that."

"I know." He shook his head slowly. "There's a link of some kind between us, Lor, and time and space don't seem to affect it much. Well, go on. Why do you think Cecil suspects Karl isn't his?"

"Well, like I said, he looks at him funny sometimes. Karl takes after you, and doesn't look at all like him."

"Is Karl a psychic?"

"I don't know. I think he is."

"Did you... say anything to him... about his origins?"

"No. I didn't see any reason to. You were dead." She gulped. "Oh, Ed! What are we going to do?"

"You married me first, Lori."

The realization hit her then; her marriage to Cecil had been invalid. She'd already been married, and her husband, supposedly dead, was alive. Joy washed over her. Edwin was her husband! She had been married to him, and had borne his son! She reached for him, and he received her willingly, holding her close.

"Mommy?"

They released each other instantly, and Loreen turned, feeling her face flame. Ellie was standing in the doorway. How long had she been there? Loreen forced a smile. "Ed, this is my daughter, Ellie."

He stood up, smiling. "Hello, Ellie. I'm Ed White. How are you?"

Her eyes were wide and frightened. "I'm sick!" she whispered. "Oh, Mommy, it's Karl!"

"What's wrong with Karl?"

"He's in trouble!"

"He's in a fight?"

"No, but he's awful scared. There's a Jil."

"A Jil? At school?"

"He didn't go to school. Didn't you know? Daddy took him to a Jil's house. He wanted Karl to get a job--help support the family."

"How do you know this?"

"Karl told me, just now. Daddy told him in the car--said it was time he started doing his share..." She screamed suddenly and piercingly. "He's caught! They know!" She screamed again. "They've got him!" She made a bolt for the door.

Edwin grabbed her, restraining her as she struggled. He stared at Loreen, in horrified understanding. "My God! What'll we do?"

"This is crazy! Ellie must be imagining things!"

"I'm not!" the little girl screamed. "Let me go!"

"She's not making it up. Karl's talking to her--like Cory and I do."

"But Cory and you are psychics!"

"Ellie's a psychic."

"She can't be! Neither Cecil nor I are!"

"Well, she is. I can sense the psychic energy in her."

Ellie screamed again, twisting in Ed's hold. "Mommy, I've got to go help him!"

Edwin shook her, gently. "Ellie, listen to me. You can't. If you go into that Jil house, you'll be taken, too."

"But what about my brother?" she began to cry. "We've got to do something!"

"I know. Look, Lori, we'd better get out of here. Psychics run in families, and the Jils know that. Now that Karl's identified, they'll be after you and your daughter. Once we have Ellie safe, we can try to help Karl."

"How?"

"I'll think of something."

"And what about Stephen?"

"Stephen?"

"My other son."

He paused, then drew a deep breath. "Anyone else?"

"No."

"And where's Stephen?"

"At school."

"All right, we'll go get him." Edwin looked around. "Quick, get whatever you need and we'll get out of here. Hurry. There's no telling how much time we have."

"What should I bring?"

"A warm wrap for yourself and the kids, and anything of sentimental value to any of you. They'll use it to trace you. Better bring some clothes for Ellie, and some money, if you have it. I don't have a credit."

Loreen ran into the bedrooms and gathered up coats, sweaters, and Ellie's clothing, which she had already laid out for the day. Her purse lay on the unmade bed, and she snatched it up. A thought struck her and she went to her jewelry box, where it sat on her dresser. In that box were two pieces of jewelry that had a great deal of sentimental value. Without hesitation, she removed the wedding set that she had worn for sixteen years and dropped them into her pocket. With a feeling of wonder, she took the rings that Edwin had given her on her wedding day, and slipped them onto her ring finger where they belonged. As she did so, Edwin appeared at the door, holding Ellie by the hand. "Do you have a car, Loreen?"

"Yes, but it's been giving us trouble lately."

"We'll have to take it. Are you almost ready?"

"Yes. Where'll we be going?"

"To Cory, if I can contact him."

"Cory's here? Then I wasn't dreaming!"

"He saw you yesterday, and told me where to find you."

"But if..."

"It's a long story. I promise to explain it all when we have time. Just a minute while I try to contact him." Edwin closed his eyes and concentrated.

A moment later he opened his eyes and shook his head. "I can't get him. Blast it! I sure hope he's all right."

"You say he told you about me?"

"That you were alive, and where to find you, but that was yesterday, and I haven't heard from him since. Hurry, Lor."

"I'm ready."

He took the clothing from her and thrust them into one of the packs he carried, sealed the pack and went to the door. She saw him pause at the panel, eyes closed.

"What are you doing?"

"Checking." He jumped suddenly, and Loreen felt, just for an instant, a quiver in her own mind, as though Edwin's consciousness had touched her. He said something under his breath, but the words were completely clear and plain to Loreen, and for a moment she felt shocked that Edwin would use such language. She had never heard him do so before.

"Ed!"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, love." He looked very worried. "We've got more problems, I'm afraid."

"What?"

"Comishvor's looking for me."

"He's *here*?"

"Yes--and not very far away."

"Why does he want you? Did you run away?"

"Yeah. I... Oh, it's such a darn long story. Comishvor claimed me after he rescued me. I was... a sort of slave, I guess, Cory and me, both. We worked for him--helped him with his raids and stuff. Cory got away about seven or eight months ago, and I followed as soon as I could manage it. We were supposed to meet here."

"But why would a Jil need your help?" asked Ellie.

"Because a lot of Terran psychics are more powerful than the Jils, Ellie. The Jil pirates take advantage of that, and in turn they protect us from the Autonomy."

"Oh," said Ellie. "That doesn't sound so bad."

"It isn't, unless the Jil's got a mean wife who's after your skin. That's what happened to us. Look, I'll tell you all about it, later. Let's get going."

"What about Comishvor?"

"As long as I keep my shields up, he'll have trouble. He's got a Terran psychic with him, doing all his dirty work for him, as usual."

"Cory! Is it Cory?"

"No. I'm sure it isn't. Some other poor sap he's picked up-- probably that poor kid from the orphanage. Come on."

The car was parked in its allotted space. Loreen slid behind the controls, keys in hand. Edwin got in the seat beside her, and Ellie scrambled into the rear. As Loreen started to press controls, a sharp word from Edwin made her pause. "Don't! Look!"

A Viceregal Patrol aircar was settling into the street in front of the apartment.

"Just wait," whispered Ed. "Don't move us yet, or those guys'll notice."

They waited, frozen, watching as four patrolmen got out of the aircar and entered the apartment.

"Okay, now!"

At her touch, the aircar lifted and buzzed quietly away to the north. Ahead, five kilometers away, lay Franik Intermediate School, and Stephen.

Chapter 25

October 10 0800

Karl Warren glanced sideways at his father as the aircar began to lose altitude. They had arrived at the estate of Lord Drinxvar.

"Why didn't you tell mom that you were going to be taking me for a job interview instead of to school, Father? If she calls the school for something and I'm not there, she'll worry."

"Who said I didn't tell her?"

"No one. But it was obvious she thought I was going to school. Why didn't you tell her?"

His father didn't answer and Karl didn't pursue the subject. He knew the answer, anyway. His mother would have objected to Karl giving up his education at age fifteen. Cecil hadn't wanted to deal with Loreen, so he simply hadn't mentioned it.

"Don't be nervous, boy," Cecil said.

"I'm not nervous, Father."

"Don't tell me lies. Everyone who's heading for his first job interview is nervous." The car settled into the parking area before the Jilectan home and Cecil cut the engines.

"Yes, Father."

"Speak only when you're spoken to, and no matter what happens, be courteous and respectful."

"Yes sir."

Cecil turned and glared at him. "The Jilectans don't like Terrans who don't know their station, Karl. If you blow this interview because of your attitude, I'm going to be quite annoyed with you."

"Yes sir."

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.