Slave Race: 7/?
by Nan Smith and Linda Garrick

"Seems rather dangerous, sir," Edwin remarked.

"Yes, indeed." Comishvor smiled thoughtfully, his eyes distant. "that was over a year ago. My species had only just learned of the existence of Terran psychics."

"And did Trashvor try anything, sir?"

"He did not." The Jilectan frowned thoughtfully. "Trashvor was the first Jilectan pirate to utilize Terran psychics for his benefit. I would not be surprised if he learned of them before the Autonomy."

"I wonder if he'll bring the same one along," Cory said.

"Rumor has it she was killed in a raid," Comishvor said. "A pity, if it is so. She was very attractive--from what I could see through the pressure suit. Perhaps it is not true. Another rumor is that she was stolen by a rival pirate. While we are on this satellite, my psychics, you will remain behind me at all times. Terran psychics are at a premium among Jilectans in my -- profession. Keep your shielding up until I tell you to lower it. Understand?"

"Yes sir," they chorused.

"I would not doubt that Lord Trashvor would very much like to get possession of Terran psychics as powerful as yourselves. Keep your distance from him--he is clever and utterly ruthless."

A good description of Comishvor, himself, Edwin thought. He nodded. "Yes, M'lord."

"Yes, M'lord," Cory said.

Comishvor leaned back in the wide seat of the lifeboat. "Get me wine, Edwin."

Ed drew the bottle and glass from beneath the seat, unstoppered, poured, and handed the filled goblet across the seat to the pirate. Comishvor took it and sipped thoughtfully. Edwin turned around again.

"My psychics," Comishvor said suddenly, "I have for some time been meaning to speak to you of my Lady Gootishville."

They both turned back as of one accord. Edwin swallowed. "Yes sir?"

Comishvor was staring at the room of the vehicle, and his shields must be up very tightly, for Edwin could sense no emotions at all. The Jilectan took a sip of wine and twisted the goblet between his hands. "My Lady... is quite emotional, as you observed that day--a common trait to females of most species. I love my Lady, and do not wish to see her disturbed." His eyes focussed suddenly on Edwin's face, flicked to Cory's then returned to Edwin's. "She is not fond of Terran psychics. I advise you to avoid her if at all possible."

"Yes, M'lord," Cory said in a low voice. "We will."

"Yes, M'lord," Edwin echoed.

Comishvor sipped from his wineglass again and his gaze returned to the roof of their craft. Perceiving that the speech was over, Ed and Cory turned around again.

The minutes crawled by as the little ship sped on. What was it, Edwin wondered for the fiftieth time, about Lady Gootishville which had attracted a handsome, very charming Lord like Comishvor? Perhaps at one time she had been more attractive, but she could never have been beautiful. Was it possible he had been in love with her? Edwin didn't know what female qualities attracted the Jilectan male, but he could somehow not envision Lady Gootishville ever attracting any male. And again, he wondered, why had Lord Comishvor taken only one wife? In the Jilectan culture it was customary for lower class Jils to have fewer wives than those of the middle and upper classes, but usually they took at least three, and sometimes as many as five. It was almost unheard of for them to have only one.

He stirred restlessly in his seat. It was clear, too, that Lord Comishvor carried normal male instincts from his reaction toward Edwin's illusion of Lady Frishville. And, too, it was unusual for a Jilectan--even a Jilectan with one wife--to have no children at all. Jilectans prided themselves on the number of children they produced. It was part of their culture.

"Edwin."

Lord Comishvor's voice cut into his thoughts and he jumped guiltily. "Yes sir?"

"Lower your shields."

Edwin swallowed hard. "Why, sir?"

"Obey me!"

There was nothing else he could do. Cringing a little, Edwin obeyed, letting his shields fall away, knowing that Comishvor would instantly sense his impertinent thoughts, his analysis of Lord Comishvor's personal relationships. He saw Cory's eyes flick nervously in his direction.

Lord Comishvor's expression went vacant for a moment, then hardened. "I thought as much," he said quietly. "Your face is most expressive, Edwin. I am well acquainted with Terran emotions. It is a necessity in my profession."

"I'm very sorry, M'lord."

"In most instances I permit Terrans to think what they will. Thoughts are difficult to control, but they *can* be controlled, and it angers me greatly to have Terrans--particularly Terran psychics, probing into my personal affairs!" His hand moved suddenly, catching Edwin across the side of the face. It was undoubtedly considered a light slap by Jilectan standards--Comishvor wouldn't wish to truly hurt him, Edwin knew--but it stung like the bite of a dozen Coralan fire ants. Involuntarily Edwin cried out in surprise and pain. The blow flung him back against the padded seat and he saw stars. For a moment he remained where he was, smarting and stunned. Comishvor had never employed physical violence on either of them before, and it was shocking to realize that he could be so quick to use it in response to what Edwin considered a fairly minor offense; and it was equally shocking to feel the result of that light, easy slap, delivered so casually by the Jilectan's palm. Cory was bending over him, and he felt his friend's hands lifting him.

"Are you okay, Ed?"

"He is not seriously hurt," came Comishvor's cool, faintly amused tones from the rear seat. "But after this I advise you, Edwin, and you also, Cornelius, to restrain your thoughts concerning My Lady--and my private affairs."

The stunned sensation was passing, and Ed felt the hot blood rising into his cheeks. Cory turned to face the Jilectan, eyes blazing. "You could have killed him! Damn you, Jil! What a stupid, cowardly thing to do! You're three times his size!"

"Cory!" Edwin tried to pull his friend back. Lord Comishvor straightened up, his expression ominous.

"And you know he can't fight back!" Cory continued recklessly. "Coward! Only a coward attacks someone who can't defend himself!"

"Cory!" Edwin jerked him back. "Shut up!"

Comishvor's hand moved again, but Cory, precog that he was, anticipated the move and dodged, lithe as a Trachum grass eel. The Jilectan grunted with annoyance and leaned over the seat, catching the boy in an unyielding hold. Cory was lifted bodily over the seat, twisting and fighting.

Terrified for his friend, Edwin scrambled over the seat after him. "M'lord! Don't hurt him! I swear if you hurt him I'll never work for you again. You'll have to kill me!"

Comishvor pushed him casually back, flinging him against the rear seat. Edwin leaped forward again, abandoning caution as he saw Comishvor slap Cory twice, snapping his head back and forth.

"No! Let him go!" He flung himself at the Jilectan, striking at his face. Comishvor grunted in surprise, slapping at him absently as one brushes away an annoying insect. Edwin was caught a second time and flung backwards. Again he saw stars, but again leaped forward, catching Comishvor by his long hair and pulling with all his might. The Jilectan swore in his own tongue and caught the Terran, thrusting him back and pinning him to the seat with one powerful hand. Cory was twisting and fighting in the grip of the alien's other hand, and Edwin heard breathless cusswords. The Jilectan brought him violently over beside Edwin and pinned him to the seat beside his friend.

"Be still, Terrans!" he roared.

It was useless to fight. Edwin obeyed, trembling in the Jilectan's grip. Comishvor, both hands occupied, glared down at the boys. Cory also became still, breathing hard. Comishvor released them. "I should kill you both for this!" he hissed. "Slowly! No Terran attacks me and lives!"

Edwin drew a long shaking breath. "I was wrong, M'lord," he said quickly. "Your personal affairs are none of my business. After this I'll try to control my thoughts."

Comishvor's face quivered. "You will never attempt to strike me again, Terrans! If you do, I shall kill you!"

"I won't let you hurt my friend, sir," Cory said in a low voice.

Comishvor's eyes flicked to the boy. "He is mine, psychic. If I need to chastise him, I shall do so--as I shall you."

Silence. Neither Terran moved. Comishvor glared at them. Edwin again drew a long breath. "M'lord, I apologize. It was all my fault. I, of all people, should have known better than to meddle in other people's love affairs. You were very patient with me while I was recovering from Lori's death. It was stupid and thoughtless of me not to give you the same courtesy."

The Jilectan's face quivered again. He grunted, then laughed softly. "Do you think that I cannot see through you, Terran empath?"

"It's true, sir. I mean it. I was wrong, and I beg your pardon."

Another soft laugh. "That does not excuse your attack upon me. Do you beg my pardon for that as well?"

Edwin swallowed. He couldn't lie to the alien. Comishvor would know it at once. "M'lord, I'll never attack you again, unless you try to hurt my friend."

"The same goes for me," Cory said

"You will never attack me again!" Comishvor snapped.

"Unless you try to hurt Cory," Edwin said.

"Unless you try to hurt Ed," Cory said.

The Jilectan looked faintly puzzled. "Such loyalty. Is your friend's life worth your own, Edwin?"

"Yes sir, it is." Ed answered without hesitation.

"And you, Cornelius--do you feel the same way?"

"Yes, M'lord."

Comishvor straightened up. "You would die defending him, Edwin--and quite uselessly, you know."

"I know, sir."

"That is foolish. I thought you more intelligent."

"I'm sorry, sir."

Another grunt, then a derisive laugh. "Get back in the front, both of you."

Edwin obeyed, Cory beside him. Ed glanced sideways at his friend, seeing the marks of the Jilectan's slaps clearly on both of Cory's cheeks. Cory rubbed his eyes and stared straight ahead, looking grim.

"I have spilled my wine, Edwin," Comishvor said. "Pour me another glass."

Edwin did so. Cory still stared sullenly ahead. Edwin glanced at him nervously and gave him a light telekinetic poke in the ribs. Cory's eyes flicked toward him and his expression relaxed slightly.

"I believe,"Comishvor said, "that I shall not command Cornelius to lower his shields at this moment. I fear that what I might see would instigate another war."

Quite likely, Ed thought. Quickly, he changed the subject. "M'lord, tell us about Trashvor. We should know more about him, don't you think, if we're to be ready for any treachery?"

Comishvor's right eyebrow crawled up and he grinned faintly. "Empaths," he muttered.

"M'lord?"

"Polite, tactful Edwin. You would do well, Cornelius, to imitate your friend more in dealing with your superiors."

But I attacked you, too, M'lord. The thought sprang into Ed's mind before he could prevent it. Quickly he banished it, glancing at Cory. His friend's hands were clenched into white fists. Edwin held his breath.

Then Cory relaxed, threw a quick look at Ed, and turned in the seat to face M'lord, his handsome, youthful face betraying only chagrin and humility. "You're right, sir. I have a quick temper. It's gotten me in trouble before. I'm sorry, and I ask your pardon."

Comishvor regarded him levelly. "Are you sincere, Cornelius?"

Cory hung his head. "I was impertinent, sir. I'm sorry."

"Are you sorry for attacking me?"

Cory gulped. "No, sir," he said quietly.

Edwin held his breath, but Comishvor laughed. "Well, at least you are honest--as you must be. You are not foolish enough to attempt a lie." He reached forward and touched Cory's right cheek lightly.

"Ah, I fear I broke the skin. That was not intended, Cornelius. Here, have a sip of my wine. It will ease the pain."

Hesitantly, Cory took the glass and sipped the wine. "Thanks, sir."

"You, also, Edwin--in fact, you two should finish it."

He didn't want to drink after the Terrans, Edwin supposed. He took the glass from Cory and sipped the moonwine.

"Lord Trashvor," Comishvor said, "is the first son of the late Lord Crashvor. Crashvor was a brilliant pirate, and Trashvor is very like him. Trashvor has three wives, numerous daughters, and two sons--Blashvar and Dishvar, both of which already show indications of their father's genius. Trashvor, as I mentioned before, was the first to use Terran psychics to assist him. It was from him that the rest of us caught the idea. His operations include smuggling, raids, and political corruption. He is utterly ruthless with his enemies, and his friends worship him. His personality is magnetic. It is part of his great success. I am told that his sons are very like him."

Edwin listened, intrigued in spite of himself. Who would have thought that he, of all people, would be cavorting with Jilectan pirates. He and Cory were only their servants, and yet, they didn't seem to be quite on the same level as the other beings under the Jilectans employ. They weren't of course. Terran psychics were essential to the success of these great, noble outlaws--their most valued possessions. That was why he and Cory were still alive, after committing so great an atrocity as attacking their master.

A shrill beep sounded from the control panel. Cory bent over it. "Normal space in two minutes, M'lord."

Edwin fastened his safety webbing and watched Cory do the same.

"Lord Trashvor and I have done business several times before," continued Comishvor. "Aside from what I have told you, I know very little about him. He guards his secrets well, but it is said that he has connections everywhere. There are rumors of occasional disputes within the family, but I do not know their nature, or if they are true at all..."

With a jolt, the stars appeared on the viewscreen again. A planetary body came into view--the barren, pock-marked sphere of an airless satellite.

Lord Comishvor leaned forward, studying the screen intently. "Scanners?"

"On full, sir," Edwin responded. "All clear."

"Cornelius?"

"I feel fine so far, M'lord."

"Set coordinates," Comishvor said.

Cory obeyed. The little ship slanted downward.

"Establishing orbit, sir..." His voice trailed off and he shifted uneasily. Edwin looked at him quickly.

"Are you okay, Cor?"

"What is it, Cornelius?" Comishvor asked, sharply.

"I... don't know. Maybe nothing..."

"You are having a premonition?"

"Not exactly. I just get the feeling that something's not right."

"Break orbit!" Comishvor commanded instantly. "Edwin, take over for him! Get us out of here! Hyperspace as soon as possible."

Edwin took the controls, hands shaking. Cory yipped suddenly. "Danger! It's coming right at us!"

"I'm not getting anything..." Edwin's hands played over the controls. The scanners were set on max, and showed nothing.

"The star! It's coming at us from the star!" Cory's voice was shrill with alarm. "They're using it to conceal themselves!"

"I got it!" Edwin stared in horror. "Lord Comishvor, it's the Patrol!"

Comishvor muttered under his breath in the Jilectan tongue. Two Patrol cruisers could now be seen on the screens. Edwin's heart was in his mouth. He, a Terran psychic, and Cory, too, were in for it if they were taken by the Patrol. Not only were they psychics, and therefore condemned to death, but they had been working for a Jilectan pirate. That meant public execution if they were taken alive.

The com beeped. "Unidentified lifeboat, this is the Patrol Battlecruiser, *Javelin*! You are ordered in the name of Lord Lanthzor, Viceroy of the Rovalli sector, to lay to and prepare for boarding!"

Their ship tore away from the approaching cruiser. Cory shouted that the other ship was about to fire, and an instant later blue flame blossomed across the darkness behind them.

"Shields up, Edwin?"

"Yes, M'lord. We're still out of range, but they're catching up. Ninety seconds to hyperspace."

Cory yelped again and an instant later another shot was fired. It detonated to their rear, short of its mark, but clearly closer than the last. Edwin's fingers played over the controls and he glanced at the comp. "I think we'll make it if all goes well..."

The voice of a Jilectan spoke from the com. "This is Lord Salthvor! Terran psychic aboard escape craft, do not be foolish. We will catch you irregardless, but if you surrender now I promise you your death will be swift and painless. If you force us to pursue you further, you will die in the execution chair before the eyes of the entire sector..."

Comishvor leaned across the seat, placing a large, firm hand on Cory's shoulder, and another on Edwin's. "Do not fear, my psychics. He is attempting to frighten you into surrendering. Your deaths would be the same, no matter what. I know his type."

"Do you read me, Terran psychic? I command you to respond..."

Comishvor reached past Edwin, pressed a button on the panel and spoke half a dozen Jilectan words into the unit. A sharp silence followed, then a bellow of rage. Comishvor grinned and settled back, fastening his webbing.

"Time, Edwin?" he inquired, serenely.

"Twenty seconds, sir."

"Terran psychic! You are the slave of a Jilectan outlaw! For this you shall die horribly! None is lower than a Terran psychic, except a Terran psychic who does the will of a Jilectan pirate! You will die horribly in the execution chair! I, myself, shall operate the controls..."

Edwin shuddered. Comishvor spoke again in the Jilectan tongue, which Edwin understood easily, having lived in the alien's presence for the past six months. The remark was grossly insulting, concerning Salthvor's sexual practices. Another howl of rage emerged from the unit, and, at that moment their lifeboat converted to hyperspace.

Edwin let out his breath and leaned back, closing his eyes. He felt suddenly very weak.

"Well done, my psychics!" Comishvor's voice cut sharply into his thoughts. "Well done, both of you!"

"Thank you, sir," Edwin said.

"And you, Cornelius--how reassuring to witness your precognetive abilities working at the height of efficiency! But for your timely warning, we should certainly have been apprehended or killed."

"Thanks, M'lord," Cory said, woodenly.

There was a short hesitation. Out of the corner of his eye, Edwin saw Comishvor frown thoughtfully, his eyes on Cory's bent head. Then the Jilectan unfastened his webbing and reached forward to place a hand on the boy's tousled head.

"It is possible," he said slowly, "that I overreacted to your defense of one another earlier. Terrans can be foolish and impulsive at times. I should have taken this into account, together with your youth. Terran psychics with your excellent attributes should be allowed an occasional lapse. I hope I did not injure either of you too badly."

Cory's head came up and he turned to face the Jilectan. "Please don't ever threaten Ed again, sir," he said quietly.

"Or Cory," Edwin put in.

A faint smile played across the alien's lips. "Empaths. You know, do you not, that you have me at a disadvantage at the moment. Very well. If you mind your manners, and try to serve me well, I promise never to strike either of you again. Does that satisfy you, Cornelius?"

Cory nodded, looking a little dazed. "Yes sir."

"And you, Edwin?"

"Yes sir."

"I am gratified. Edwin, let us have some more wine."

Ed produced the bottle. "Lord Comishvor, what the heck was the Patrol doing there? They must have been waiting for us. How did they know we were coming?"

"Ah, how indeed?" Comishvor accepted the glass of wine Edwin had poured for him and sipped daintily. "It is certain that we were somehow betrayed, and the obvious source of that betrayal is Lord Trashvor, himself."

"Almost too obvious," Edwin added, in a low voice.

"Too obvious?" Comishvor regarded Edwin soberly for a moment, stroking one silvery blond eyebrow with a multijointed finger. "Yes, perhaps you are right, Edwin. He is almost too obviously the one to blame. Someone could have set us up, knowing that, should we happen to escape, we should instantly blame him."

"But who could that profit? The person would need some reason for doing it."

"Trashvor would profit from it," Cory said. "He and Lord Comishvor must have many common interests."

"That is correct, Cornelius. If the Patrol was to dispose of me, Trashvor would surely benefit."

"He was supposed to meet us there," Cory said. "And he didn't show."

"Maybe he found out the Patrol would be there," Edwin said.

"And maybe he knew because he, himself, was the informer," Comishvor said.

"But he also must've known you'd likely be warned, sir," Edwin protested. "He knows you have Terran psychics."

"Indeed, Edwin, but what percentage of Terran psychics are precogs?"

"Uh... I don't know, sir."

"Neither do I, but it is estimated by Jilectan scientists that approximately half of all Terran psychics possess the ability. And of that half, about 5% are long range precogs. It would benefit Trashvor to know if one of my psychics belongs to that rare group."

Edwin digested that. "But he'd also realize you'd suspect him."

"And maybe he has a long range psychic," Cory put in. "Maybe that's why he didn't show. Maybe someone else was the leak."

"Leak?" Comishvor repeated, questioningly.

"The person who told," Edwin translated quickly.

"Ah, yes. Well, who can know? But it will be interesting to hear Lord Trashvor's account of his reasons for failing to keep our appointment."

The messenger from Lord Trashvor arrived on Comishvor's ship twenty hours later in the person of Trashvor's son, Blashvar. With him was a small, wiry Terran, probably younger than Edwin, and half a dozen armed bodyguards.

Comishvor received them in his quarters. Edwin and Cory, roused from their beds, were also there, as well as an armed bodyguard of Comishvor's own men. Lord Blashvar advanced majestically and came to a stop before Comishvor. Lord Trashvor's son was quite a formidable individual, Edwin saw--shorter than Comishvor, but more muscular. His face was handsome and youthful. Honey blond hair hung carelessly past his shoulders, and his eyes were a hard, piercing blue. He looked dangerous.

"Lord Comishvor?" He smiled coldly, bowing from the waist.

"Lord Blashvar?"

"I am here, my Lord, to render my apologies on my father's behalf, for his failure to keep your appointment." Blashvar spoke rapidly in the Jilectan tongue. "There were unavoidable circumstances which delayed him."

Comishvor smiled coldly in return. "I am not surprised."

For an instant Blashvar looked disconcerted. "You kept the appointment, then?"

"I attempted to."

A pause. Blashvar glanced at the boy beside him, who spoke a quick phrase under his breath. The Jilectan frowned, speaking again to Comishvor. "My psychic informs me that you are annoyed with me. May I ask why?"

"May I ask what it was, exactly that delayed your father, my Lord?"

Blashvar's face became impassive. "I am sorry. It is of a private nature. I cannot reveal it."

"I suspected so," Comishvor said.

Edwin glanced with interest at Blashvar's psychic. The boy was swathed in a soft grey robe and hood, which concealed everything but his face. His eyes met Edwin's impassively across the distance. His lids drooped briefly.

"Why did you suspect so?" Blashvar asked.

"Perhaps," Comishvor said, "due to the fact that there was a Patrol Cruiser waiting for us when we arrived."

The surprise on Blashvar's face looked genuine. "A Patrol cruiser. Are you certain?"

Comishvor laughed without mirth. "Yes, my Lord, I am certain. The identified themselves and took several shots at us."

Edwin, shields open and scanning per orders of Comishvor, sensed sudden fear in the other Terran psychic. He moved closer to his master, and the bodyguard drew closer as well.

Edwin turned his head and spoke softly to Comishvor. "M'lord, I get the feeling that he's really surprised. I don't think he knew about it."

Comishvor's eyes flicked briefly to him, then returned to Blashvar. "Your father knew nothing of this?"

Blashvar met his gaze levelly. "Nothing, my Lord." He bent slightly and spoke softly to the Terran beside him. The boy shook his head fractionally.

"Then why did he not keep our appointment?"

Again Blashvar spoke softly to his psychic. The little Terran replied in a soft, whispered phrase. Blashvar straightened up.

"Very well, my Lord Comishvor. My father did not go because he was warned not to."

"By whom?"

A scant hesitation. Then, "By one of his psychics."

"That one?" Comishvor's gaze went to the hooded figure beside the Jilectan and there was an undeniable gleam of covetousness in his eyes. The boy tensed, taking another quick step toward his master.

"No. Emil is not a precog."

Comishvor grinned widely. "Then why did you bring him along?"

Blashvar's jaw hardened. "Do not attempt to take my psychic from me, Lord Comishvor. It is possible that you would succeed, but the cost would be more than he is worth."

"Oh, do not fear, my Lord. There will be no treachery on *my* part."

Blashvar looked uncertain for a moment, then spoke, his tone carefully polite.

"I realize, Lord Comishvor, that the circumstances point to my father. However, I ask you to consider one thing. It is possible my father would benefit briefly from your death, but such a blatant betrayal as this must ultimately do him more harm than good. He is known as a Lord who keeps his word."

"And you, Blashvar, are known as the Lord with the silken tongue. I am not surprised your father sent you in his stead."

There was a stir among the bodyguard.

"A Lord with a son like you could occasionally break his word," continued Comishvor. "If the benefits were great enough. You are the negotiator of the family--far superior, I am told, to your dear brother. You cover your father's faults, leaving no one the wiser. In fact, with you to speak for him, his associates find themselves excusing him. You have the tongue of a Terran empath, Lord Blashvar!"

Blashvar had gone bright red and there was a dangerous light in his eye. The Terran psychic leaned closer to his master and spoke softly and compellingly. Blashvar relaxed visibly and he smiled--a hard, cold little smile.

"Terran empaths are not to be despised," he said quietly. "Occasionally they save us from ourselves, my Lord."

Comishvor chuckled derisively.

Blashvar continued, his voice still deceptively quiet. "I fear you have me at a disadvantage, my Lord. I have no way to prove that my father is innocent in this matter. I can only say, in all sincerity, that he is. If you choose not to believe me, then there is nothing I can do to prevent you from taking revenge."

"Blashvar of the silken tongue."

"I speak the truth, my Lord."

"With your shields up."

"I cannot reveal my father's trade secrets to you or your psychics."

"Naturally not."

Another faint smile, and Blashvar spoke suddenly and directly to Edwin. "Terran empath, am I lying?"

The question was so unexpected that Edwin, instinctively, almost answered. Comishvor's hand came down hard on his shoulder, commanding silence.

"Am I, Terran?"

"How can he tell, my Lord?" inquired Comishvor smoothly. "Your shields are excellent."

"But empaths can often tell, despite shielding. Mine can. He has informed me that you are telling the truth, that you are truly angry, and also that you are enjoying to the full the advantage you have over me. He says you are trying to make me angry, and that you want to believe that Trashvor betrayed you. All this, my Lord, he can tell with your shields up. Can your psychic do less?" Again he spoke to Edwin. "You can tell, can you not, little Terran? You can tell that I am not lying. I would also guess that you have informed your master of this fact."

Edwin swallowed. "M... M'lord..."

"Silence, Edwin." Comishvor's gaze was on Blashvar's psychic. "Trashvor always did seem able to find the best among Terran psychics."

To Edwin's surprise, Blashvar reached out suddenly, drawing the Terran against him in an almost protective gesture. "Do not attempt to take my psychic from me, my Lord."

Comishvor laughed. "Do you command me on my own ship, my Lord?"

"The price would not be worth it. I warn you."

"And what would the price be? Your men know better than to fight against such odds."

"They do, indeed. There is no need for them to fight. My father was in contact with Lord Yoogashvor prior to this meeting."

Edwin sensed Comishvor's sudden start. "How dare you!"

"My father understands you, my Lord. Do not fear. No harm will come to her if I am released--and my servants with me."

"Your father paid him!"

"How else? It was necessary." Blashvar smiled regretfully. "I did not wish to use these tactics, my Lord, but you have forced my hand."

Comishvor drew himself up. "This is utterly despicable. Very well, Lord Blashvar, you leave me no alternative. You are free to go."

Blashvar bowed slightly. "I regret that you made it necessary. Come, Emil." He turned and strode toward the exit, the Terran running along behind, followed by the impassive bodyguard.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.