Print Thread
#137232 04/03/14 11:58 AM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Trask lives

In "The Green, Green Glow of Home" Trask is shot by Rachel Harris.
Script:
It's Trask emerging from the water, producing a miniature weapon from his boot, aiming for Clark.

Rachel tenses.

Clark winces, preparing for the worst.

Jimmy brings his camera up into action.

A SHOT is fired. Trask falls back into the pond. Rachel looks at her smoking gun, in awe that she fired it.
Lois runs to Clark's side. They embrace. They have survived,
I am often bothered by the way many movies and tv shows portray members of the Military as Megalomaniacs.

Suppose Trask wasn't like that.

Perhaps the scene would play out differently,

New variant :

Finally, Clark is on top of him, could easily bash his brain to smithereens on the rock that shattered the meteorite. Unlike in the original episode there are no sirens and the van with Trask's men does not race off leaving Trask.

TRASK: "Go ahead. Kill me. I would have killed you."

Clark throws Trask back in the water.

CLARK: "That's not how I work."

Trask: "No I guess it really isn't"

Getting up as a couple of his men approach with weapons, Trask gesures and both men lift their weapons, and stop moving, Trask nods and both shift, sling their weapons and head back to the van.

Trask: "Kent, I really hope you're right and there's no invasion fleet. In the meantime, everybody needs support at times, even if it's only to talk. Also I've got that small ship and some other items you might want to review."

He pulls out a simple business card and extends it.

Trask: "Call me if you need anything, if I don't answer the third number will reach someone who works with me and will be willing to help. However only I and the men in this unit"

gestures at the white van

Trask: "will know about the Kents, need to know and all that."

Kent: "What? After all this, Why"

Trask: "A mindset Mr. Kent, plan for the worst, hope for the best, oh we're not getting rid of the green rock and probably too many people will know about it, but for now, I'm going with hope."

He turns and walks off, gets in the van and it drives away.
How Lois reacts to all this could be fun, it would also change somethings in "All Shook Up" and very much change things in the New Kryptonians arc.

Framework4
#137233 04/03/14 01:49 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've never seen Trask as someone who is power hungry, more that he's paranoid and fearful of what would become of his world should an army of all-powerful aliens (such as Nor's group of NK's) were to invade. In a way, Trask's fears are realized when Nor and his group of terrorists attack Smallville and Metropolis. Had Kal-El been working for Nor and been the forerunner that Trask supposes, such an invasion would have destroyed Earth and enslaved what was left of the human race.

Trask's main problems are that he's closed-minded and racist (alienist?). Before even talking to, in a peaceful manner, or trying to find out from Superman his motivations for coming to Earth, Trask has pre-judged him, and all Kryptonians, and lumped them into the enemy category. So much so, that Trask is willing to torture (Irig) and kill any human (Thompson from Strange Visitor, Irig and the Kents from GGGoH) willing to go up against him.

If you wanted to make Trask into a "friend" of Superman, you would have to do so before he commits these crimes. Afterwards, it's like Superman agreeing to a peace deal with a terrorist. Trask "hoping for the best" at this point isn't to be trusted or believed.

Now, if we were to shift your adaption to THIS, I would find it more believable:
Finally, Clark is on top of him, could easily bash his brain to smithereens on the rock that shattered the meteorite. Unlike in the original episode there are no sirens and the van with Trask's men does not race off leaving Trask.

TRASK: "Go ahead. Kill me. I would have killed you."

Clark throws Trask back in the water.

CLARK: "That's not how I work."

Trask: "No I guess it really isn't"

Getting up as a couple of his men approach with weapons, Trask gesures and both men lift their weapons
... and instead of pointing them at Clark, point them at Trask.

TRASK: What's the meaning of this? He's the alien hostile!

B39 AGENT (Let's call him Jones): HE doesn't want to hurt you, Colonel Trask. He has never attacked anyone.

TRASK: He HIT me!

JONES: Only in self-defense.

TRASK: This is TREASON!

JONES: You've killed an employee of the Federal Government, tortured a Vietnam Vet, and threatened to kill innocent...

TRASK: Alien sympathizers! All of 'em, Jones.

JONES: You're out of control, sir.

TRASK: /looks between Jones and Clark/ He'll kill all of us if he gets the chance, Jones. I'm not going to give him that chance! /reaches down and produces a miniature weapon from his boot, aiming at Clark/

A SHOT is fired. Trask falls back into the pond. Jones looks at his smoking gun and turns to Clark, nods, and slings his weapons. He, then, nods to the other man, who heads back to the van.

JONES: "Kent, I really hope you're right and there's no invasion fleet. In the meantime, everybody needs support at times, even if it's only to talk. Also I've got that small ship and some other items you might want to review."

He pulls out a simple business card and extends it.

JONES: "Call me if you need anything, if I don't answer the third number will reach someone who works with me and will be willing to help. However only I and the men in this unit" /gestures at the white van/ "will know about the Kents, need to know and all that."

CLARK: "What? After all this, *Why*?"

JONES: "A mindset Mr. Kent, plan for the worst, hope for the best, oh we're not getting rid of the green rock and probably too many people will know about it, but for now, I'm going with hope."

He turns and walks off, gets in the van and it drives away.

Lois runs to Clark's side. They embrace. They have survived.
By this point, Trask is irredeemable, but the others in B39 are not. It doesn't make them Superman's friend or a group to be fully trusted, but with a new leader Superman too is able to have some hope for the future.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#137234 04/03/14 02:48 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, a redeemable Trask…

I agree with Virginia, the change would have to occur probably back in Strange Visitor (I think that's the right episode!). I see Trask's biggest problem not being his distrust of Superman, but his ABSOLUTE BELIEF that he is right and that everyone is expendable in his search for his goals. After all, he certainly didn't see the humans as being any more worthy of protection than Superman. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been willing to throw a couple of reporters out the plane on a really flimsy hunch.

Without the paranoid angle, Trask would still be a dangerous man because he argues that the ends justify the means. It's probably why he embedded himself so deeply into a world of secrecy anyway. Bureau 39 takes him beyond the reach of accountability, and he is essentially his own master.

But trying to get back to your point of what if Trask had lived (i.e. he didn't have another gun to pull on Clark and thereby commit suicide-by-cop), whether Clark's decision to spare him could have made an impact. In the best case scenario…. maybe. Though I don't know if it would have been fast enough to keep the secret that Superman is really Clark Kent.

Then again, even if he was pulled from the pond ranting about Clark really being Superman, who's going to believe him with Clark all beaten up and without his powers because of the Kryptonite? More likely he'd end up in some military psych ward, or some other deep dark hole the government likes to drop people into.

Hey, maybe he and Diana Stride could trade notes eventually! lol

#137235 04/03/14 03:01 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Colleen, if you want a really scary thought: Maybe Trask and Tempus (post "Lois and Clarks") could meet in a psychiatric institution. Could you imagine if those two teamed up? shock

Joy,
Lynn

#137236 04/03/14 03:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Even scarier - Trask living means he has a bigger place in the history books, so Tempus decides to jump back and help Trask early Season 1…

shock cat

#137237 04/03/14 03:37 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Or maybe even pre-season 1. Maybe Trask was so paranoid and xenophobic because Tempus used his mind-control device on him before Clark ever even became Superman...
peep

Or is this too wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey?

Joy,
Lynn

#137238 04/03/14 04:12 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Or maybe even pre-season 1.
Or maybe you should read Deadly Chakram's Specimen S which leads with the premise of Trask and Tempus joining forces. Just bring along a nice box of tissues with you.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#137239 04/03/14 06:07 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I gotta step back a bit from Scandal for a while. I just read the "B39" line Virginia wrote and was like "what the heck?! Since when is B6-13 in Lois and Clark? CROSSOVER TIME!!!"

Then I realized. blush

I love the idea of Trask (or at least someone in the military or government) being in on Clark's secret. I don't know how Trask would work out as a good guy-- he's in too deep. Maybe if Superman had saved him or something before he went on the Kryptonite witch-hunt... but otherwise he's just too far gone to go from fighting Clark in the pond to being buddy-buddy with him. Unless he's genuinely unstable, and just swings back and forth between "RAWRG! Kill all the aliens!" and "It's okay, we're there for you," which I would totally buy, by the way. :p

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#137240 04/03/14 11:11 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
I love the idea of Trask (or at least someone in the military or government) being in on Clark's secret. I don't know how Trask would work out as a good guy-- he's in too deep. Maybe if Superman had saved him or something before he went on the Kryptonite witch-hunt... but otherwise he's just too far gone to go from fighting Clark in the pond to being buddy-buddy with him. Unless he's genuinely unstable, and just swings back and forth between "RAWRG! Kill all the aliens!" and "It's okay, we're there for you," which I would totally buy, by the way. :p
A Bipolar (I'd assume that's the medical equivalent) Trask? I'd buy that.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#137241 04/04/14 12:42 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Or maybe even pre-season 1.
Or maybe you should read Deadly Chakram's Specimen S which leads with the premise of Trask and Tempus joining forces. Just bring along a nice box of tissues with you. [/b]
IIRC, it was the fear of needing those tissues that kept me from reading it in the first place. With very rare exception (such as Anti-Kryptonite's current story "Man or Monster?"), I tend to avoid the tear-jerkers. I've enough depressing stuff to deal with in RL (It isn't easy being a divorced working Mom with a child who is severely affected by autism and has other special needs, as well, and being without any respite provider); I want my leisure reading to put me in a better frame of mind, not drag me down further. Just a personal preference.

Joy,
Lynn

#137242 04/04/14 02:46 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the plug, Virginia! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#137243 04/04/14 07:58 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[b]
[b] Or maybe even pre-season 1.
Or maybe you should read Deadly Chakram's Specimen S which leads with the premise of Trask and Tempus joining forces. Just bring along a nice box of tissues with you. [/b]
IIRC, it was the fear of needing those tissues that kept me from reading it in the first place. With very rare exception (such as Anti-Kryptonite's current story "Man or Monster?"), I tend to avoid the tear-jerkers. I've enough depressing stuff to deal with in RL (It isn't easy being a divorced working Mom with a child who is severely affected by autism and has other special needs, as well, and being without any respite provider); I want my leisure reading to put me in a better frame of mind, not drag me down further. Just a personal preference.[/b]
Lynn, despite her moniker, Deadly Chakram is usually very good about putting her toys back and making them live happily ever after by the end of her stories. laugh The tissue reference was mostly for the first half of the story. But it is a bit violent, which is why I added the disclaimer, because I knew you usually avoid those type of stories and wanted to warn you, just in case. wink

DC, you're welcome.

VirginiaR.
---
#137244 04/04/14 05:29 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
<strong> Or maybe even pre-season 1.
IIRC, it was the fear of needing those tissues that kept me from reading it in the first place. With very rare exception (such as Anti-Kryptonite's current story "Man or Monster?"), I tend to avoid the tear-jerkers. I've enough depressing stuff to deal with in RL (It isn't easy being a divorced working Mom with a child who is severely affected by autism and has other special needs, as well, and being without any respite provider); I want my leisure reading to put me in a better frame of mind, not drag me down further. Just a personal preference.[/b]
Lynn, despite her moniker, Deadly Chakram is usually very good about putting her toys back and making them live happily ever after by the end of her stories. laugh The tissue reference was mostly for the first half of the story. But it is a bit violent, which is why I added the disclaimer, because I knew you usually avoid those type of stories and wanted to warn you, just in case. wink

DC, you're welcome. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Much thanks again, Virginia. I do put my toys back into the box (more or less), at the end of my stories.

I suspect though, that Lynn night avoid the couple of stories that have been percolating in my head... peep

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#137245 04/05/14 09:09 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I forgot Specimen S was a Trask related story. That one was really good. And now that I think about it, there are a couple of other stories floating around with Trask involved in Clark's life much earlier, and though I can't remember them off the top of my head, at least one is due to Tempus's interference.

Now I'm trying to remember if I've ever stumbled across anything with Trask, Tempus, AND Lex all working together… at least, working together without double-crossing and/or killing each other. Which might be impossible with those personalities!

#137246 04/08/14 04:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kaethel has a good one with Smallville 39 , where Trask convinces Lois to work with him for a while.

Wendy Richards' Faux Pas also has Trask appearing at a different time (because certain other circumstances have changed first.)

And of course, in Master of Disguise , Lex works with Trask to get kryptonite. Of course, things don't go well and the two villains fall out. But we kind of expected that to happen.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard