Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#136896 11/01/13 10:20 AM
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Because editing a small town probably weekly paper with only a couple of employees is closer to be the editor of a university paper (in Perry's opinion). Neither is anywhere near the same 'experience' as a three time Kerth Award winning journalist with years of global investigative work under her belt vs. someone who discovered that the mayor of a small town wasn't paying his sales taxes properly for his business. In Perry's opinion (like Lois's), you cannot compare corn to apricots.
Crime does happen here in Kansas and surrounding states. It isn't limited to large cities or the coastal states. The papers, weekly or daily are not filled with farm reports, corn fests and shucking contests despite what Hollywood and national media would have you believe. Back in the 90s in my small town there were two disappearances that were never solved, and BTK was biding his time not that far from here. We might not make the national news every day but this is far from perfect as far as crime goes. With Perry's long career he would know this. He had to start somewhere, too.
And local papers are printed and put together by publishers with many more than two employees. The staff has to be up on all the news from small towns spread over more than one county. They are responsible for putting together publications for half a dozen or more individual towns each week.
I wish it was an idyllic paradise here, but it isn't.

#136897 11/01/13 12:10 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
95. Martha and Jonathan get to Metropolis care of 'Superman Express' multiple times--but they also seem to show up at Clark's by themselves a lot....just how often do they fly half way across the country to come to Metropolis?

96. We know that everyone thought that Clark was adopted, but did immediate family/friends ever dig any deeper? Was this information accepted at face value really that easily?

97. What was Clark's childhood like? We know about how he gradually got his powers and about the tree house 'Fortress of Solitude,' but there are a mighty few gaps in btw there dizzy

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#136898 11/01/13 12:12 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by RJS:
Crime does happen here in Kansas and surrounding states. It isn't limited to large cities or the coastal states. The papers, weekly or daily are not filled with farm reports, corn fests and shucking contests despite what Hollywood and national media would have you believe.
I also live in a rural community, one probably more the size of the Smallville of the same named television show, than the even smaller one I imagine the one from LnC was. We even have a daily paper (most days) with more than 50 employees. I know that there is crime in rural areas, because someone was shot in the alley behind my house not too long ago, and it wasn't the only shooting in town this year by a long shot. frown I wasn't bashing small town news. I was merely pointing out that it was different. Corn to apricots was just another way of saying apples to oranges. laugh

But being the editor of a small rural newspaper (as I imagine the Smallville Gazette being) still isn't the same work experience when judging who is a better candidate for editor of the Daily Planet. In the same average week, Lois would have to have written up and investigated more stories, more quickly, in more dangerous situations than Clark would have to in Smallville. Clark might have more experience in the day to day running and budgeting of a paper than Lois would, but in a big city paper most of that stuff is handled by the people "upstairs". So, yes, as a candidate for editor of the DP, I could see Perry as seeing Lois as having more practical, high pace, high stress work experience than Clark would.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#136899 11/01/13 05:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
IolantheAlias: Thanks for the recommendations! I've gained a lot of great reading from your suggestions over the last year or so--just needed to finally get on the message board to finally tell you I appreciate what you do!
Gosh, thanks a lot, LMA! There have been so many great fanfics written in this fandom that I just want to spread the word about them. On my end, I'd like to thank the authors of all the fics. Sometimes the stories are so good, or they resonate with me so much, that when a topic comes up, a story about it immediately comes to mind.

Speaking of that sort of thing...

82. What happened to Star?
I don't know her ultimate fate, but she does help when Lois is afflicted by Dr. Deter's hypnosis-caused amnesia in ML Thompson's Nowhere To Run . And Star attends the L&C wedding!
84. Was Lex sprayed with a permanent dose of Revenge, or did it wear off and he was obsessed with Lois anyway?
You know, VirginiaR mentions this (along with a whole lot of other plot) in her amazing fic, Wrong Clark .

92. With Lois being such a good singer, does she ever try it as a side job?
No, but in Shayne Terry's Duet , she's a hot-shot entertainment lawyer who is representing the next big thing, singer Clark Kent! smile

94. If it was the "Magic of the Night Ball" in Illusions of Grandeur, was there dancing. If so, did Clark and Lois dance?
I don't know about the "Magic of the Night Ball", but I do know that Lois and Clark danced in Wendy Richards' fine The Dark Side of Christmas . Extra points for masquerades.

95. Did Jonathan and Martha ever clean up the kryptonite that was left in their pond by Trask? If so, what did they do with it?
Dandello touched on this in Paradoxes .

96. We know that everyone thought that Clark was adopted, but did immediate family/friends ever dig any deeper? Was this information accepted at face value really that easily?
Another Dandello fic, The Smallville Connection , talks about this.

#136900 11/02/13 01:05 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Originally posted by John Lambert:
89a. How soon does Clark know that Lois said no to Lex before the cavalry burst through the doors.
In the script (it was not in the episode) there it's:

LOIS: Why me?

CLARK: Because Lex Luthor always wanted what he could never have.

LOIS: He almost did.

CLARK: (fervently)No. You said 'no.' You never would have gone through with it.
I wish they had aired this dialog. frown
Was this from "Fall of the House of Luthor"?

John Pack Lambert
#136901 11/02/13 01:08 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by RJS:
[b] Crime does happen here in Kansas and surrounding states. It isn't limited to large cities or the coastal states. The papers, weekly or daily are not filled with farm reports, corn fests and shucking contests despite what Hollywood and national media would have you believe.
I also live in a rural community, one probably more the size of the Smallville of the same named television show, than the even smaller one I imagine the one from LnC was. We even have a daily paper (most days) with more than 50 employees. I know that there is crime in rural areas, because someone was shot in the alley behind my house not too long ago, and it wasn't the only shooting in town this year by a long shot. frown I wasn't bashing small town news. I was merely pointing out that it was different. Corn to apricots was just another way of saying apples to oranges. laugh

But being the editor of a small rural newspaper (as I imagine the Smallville Gazette being) still isn't the same work experience when judging who is a better candidate for editor of the Daily Planet. In the same average week, Lois would have to have written up and investigated more stories, more quickly, in more dangerous situations than Clark would have to in Smallville. Clark might have more experience in the day to day running and budgeting of a paper than Lois would, but in a big city paper most of that stuff is handled by the people "upstairs". So, yes, as a candidate for editor of the DP, I could see Perry as seeing Lois as having more practical, high pace, high stress work experience than Clark would. [/b]
Actually, probably Clark would have to investigate more stories, with less staff the staff you do have has to do more.

Also, it is the Smallville Post. It looked like a respectable, and probably daily paper when we saw it in "Tempus Fugitive". Although it may have changed since 1966.

That said, Perry did say it was a very close call. I always figured he really made the decision he did because he knew that Clark would be OK with it, but Lois would have had problems with the reverse.

John Pack Lambert
#136902 11/02/13 01:09 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Was this from "Fall of the House of Luthor"?
It must have been cut from the scene where Clark crosses his fingers and says he never really loved Lois, because they really never spoke after the wedding, except during that scene.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#136903 11/02/13 02:03 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
98. Are the Quantum Disbander, the Quantum Disrupter and the disingegration ray from "AKA Superman" all the same technology?

John Pack Lambert
#136904 11/02/13 06:50 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
99. How the heck was Luthor's body intact, to be brought back to life? He jumped from the highest point in Metropolis - he should have been a greasy spot on the sidewalk, no?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#136905 11/05/13 09:05 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
100) Does Lois ever get her romance novel (either the one where the protagonist dies without meeting her soulmate or the one that is about Wanda Detroit) published?

101) Why did Jor-El send Kal-El to Earth (he makes explicit reference to sending Clark to Kansas on Earth) when Kal-El was engaged to Zara? Why not send him to New Krypton?
101a) Why didn't he mention something to that effect in the globe?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#136906 11/05/13 04:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
99. How the heck was Luthor's body intact, to be brought back to life? He jumped from the highest point in Metropolis - he should have been a greasy spot on the sidewalk, no?
I figured that since the L&C universe has excellent human cloning technology, they just replaced Lex's broken bits with freshly cloned new parts. laugh

100) Does Lois ever get her romance novel (either the one where the protagonist dies without meeting her soulmate or the one that is about Wanda Detroit) published?
Yes, this is mentioned as an aside in Dandello's fic Plane Storm . In Shayne Terry's Fugue , Lois has published three novels, but they are not romances.

Maybe Lois wasn't a published author in canon, but she was in fanfic!

#136907 11/08/13 12:58 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
102) What did the gossip pages say about Ultra Woman?
102a) The tabloids?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#136908 11/08/13 05:09 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
103.(a) What's the backstory on how Sir Charles (aka The Fox) and Lady Loisette fell in love?
103.(b) What's the backstory on how The Lone Rider and Lulu met and fell in love?

VirginiaR.
---
#136909 11/09/13 09:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
104: Does it not bother anyone that Loisette had to marry the precedent incarnation of Tempus because they fell to prevent it when Wells get Lois and Clark reincarnated? So poor Loisette, did she have to live ever after with Baron Tempos ?

And I was also thinking about the episode Seconds when Lois thought she was Wanda Detroit. I really do not understand why when Clark succeeds to find Lois, he let her go with Lex. Really, Luthor is an escaped felon, liar, thief, psychopath, killer et cetera, even if Lois was in her right mind when she told she wanted to go with Lex, Clark had just to make a citizen arrest and deliver him to the police so he could know what was wrong with Lois and go on again with the wedding, don't ya think ?

#136910 11/11/13 04:55 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
105. Clark gives off an aura that protects anything within a millimeter or so of his skin. (AKA, why normal, non-K bullets don't rip the suit.) So why the heck was he naked after smashing into Nightfall and falling back to Earth? His suit should have been protected by his aura, even with his memory getting scrambled/him blacking out.

(Note: Not that I am complaining about a naked Clark. Mmmmmmm...)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#136911 11/11/13 05:35 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
105. Clark gives off an aura that protects anything within a millimeter or so of his skin. (AKA, why normal, non-K bullets don't rip the suit.) So why the heck was he naked after smashing into Nightfall and falling back to Earth? His suit should have been protected by his aura, even with his memory getting scrambled/him blacking out.
Maybe the prolonged friction on the dark side of the Earth reduced his aura enough so it no longer projected out from his body, therefore the suit was burnt off and causing Clark's amnesia when he hit the ground. The next day, he was exposed to sunlight and was back to normal.

No complaints here either. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
#136912 11/11/13 05:40 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] 105. Clark gives off an aura that protects anything within a millimeter or so of his skin. (AKA, why normal, non-K bullets don't rip the suit.) So why the heck was he naked after smashing into Nightfall and falling back to Earth? His suit should have been protected by his aura, even with his memory getting scrambled/him blacking out.
Maybe the prolonged friction on the dark side of the Earth reduced his aura enough so it no longer projected out from his body, therefore the suit was burnt off and causing Clark's amnesia when he hit the ground. The next day, he was exposed to sunlight and was back to normal.

No complaints here either. laugh [/b]
clap That actually could make a lot of sense! Couple the lack of sunlight with the immense exertion of trying to move a 17(?) mile wide meteor...I can get on board with that theory, absolutely.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#136913 11/11/13 05:42 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That actually could make a lot of sense! Couple the lack of sunlight with the immense exertion of trying to move a 17(?) mile wide meteor...I can get on board with that theory, absolutely.
That's what I loved about [K]Nightfall was that he was naked, *except* for the belt that Batman had lent him. clap

VirginiaR.
---
#136914 11/11/13 06:05 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Having a brain-fog here, but what about the cape? Don't seem to remember it being in too much danger throughout the series, but definitely not within a millimeter of his skin...

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#136915 11/11/13 06:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LMA:
Having a brain-fog here, but what about the cape? Don't seem to remember it being in too much danger throughout the series, but definitely not within a millimeter of his skin...
I do remember specifically that the cape got damaged when SM was bombed in that explosion where Lois's got ricochet cut on her forehead in NeverEnding Battle. Maybe after that Martha used more flame resistant cloth.

Also, Lois's high heels were flattened while stopping that runaway truck in Ultra Woman, so it's not impossible.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard