Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136794 10/07/13 08:28 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was looking at the Soul Mates episode thread, and it reminded me of a conversation I once had with an elderly friend who believed in the concept of soul mates. He said that he had lived 13 times and his wife 12, and that he and his wife had been together in all 12 of her incarnations. He also said that it wasn't always a good thing--apparently he was pretty awful during at least one incarnation (supposedly he murdered his wife with an ax during the American Civil War).

That brings to mind a potential L&C soul mates plot bunny: What if during one or more incarnations Lois or Clark (or both) had turned out, for whatever reason, to be a horrible person? How would that affect them in that incarnation, and how would it affect them in future incarnations?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#136795 10/08/13 11:14 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I have an interesting twist on this. What if Lois and Clark were in fact, *not* soul mates? They fell in love, they were dating, engaged, maybe even married, and suddenly Clark or Lois comes into contact with their real soul mates? What would happen then? evil (Which by the way is a splendid idea. I'm kind of toying around with that as it is with my anti-verse.)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#136796 10/08/13 06:00 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh, Mouse is evil!

What if Clark's soul mate was, in fact, Zara? Then he would be more likely to leave for NK for good. And Lois would lose her best friend forever.

What if Lois was Clark's soul mate but hers was Lex or Dan?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#136797 10/08/13 08:53 PM
Kerth
Kerth
And some more evil thoughts....

What if Clark/Lois was soul mates with someone else but they didn't feel any sort of love for them? At least not as of yet... After all, Lois and Clark are soul mates, and it still took them a few years to figure it all out. Perhaps it's only the same with Clark and his soul mate (Zara, Mayson, or Oooh! Someone like Toni Taylor or some other villainess) or Lois and hers (Lex, Dan, Deter, Jimmy...)

Lots and lots of evilness!!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#136798 10/09/13 05:04 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ha! I was going to suggest the Lois/Jimmy pairing! What would suck worse for Clark...seeing his soul mate (assuming Lois was still his soul mate) with a villain like Lex or with his very best (guy) friend? With the former, Clark knows Lois is with a bad guy and can hope she'll come to her senses. With the latter, Clark knows she's with a good guy and will probably never leave him, thus shattering all hope she will one day be with him.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#136799 10/09/13 01:02 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good point--so maybe it would be less painful for Lois' soulmate to be Lex? Then Clark can put all of his energy into figuring out how to show Lois' what Lex is really like, and bring Lex down in the process... With Lois being with Jimmy, Clark knows he's a good guy--and with Clark being Jimmy's friend, he has all sorts of conflicting loyalties towards that friendship for him to hope/want to be with Lois. Painful all around...

Lots of twists and turns

shock

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#136800 10/09/13 03:18 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I posted a link to this last year - an interesting calculation re. soul mates

http://what-if.xkcd.com/9/

Of course Clark does have some advantages in finding his, but even so...

Incidentally, the Tim Minchin song the article links to is brilliant - I won't quote because it spoils it, but it's great fun.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#136801 10/09/13 10:27 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've seen non L&C stories that have souls reincarnate in clusters. The reincarnations don't always have the same relationships but are always close. So married this time, siblings another life, best friends another, rivals etc. This can be used to explain why Lex threw away decades of caution when L&C got involved. He is part of the same cluster and that closeness made him react impulsively.

So who would you put in the same cluster with L&C? I'd say Clark's parents but not necessarily Lois's. Perry, maybe Lucy.

#136802 10/10/13 04:52 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by dcarson:

So who would you put in the same cluster with L&C? I'd say Clark's parents but not necessarily Lois's. Perry, maybe Lucy.
Jimmy, for sure.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#136803 10/10/13 09:12 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
From the Soul Mates episode Martha, Jonathan, Jimmy and Perry are all included in that close-knit group. Lois's parents nor Lucy were anywhere to be seen.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#136804 10/10/13 09:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Has anyone ever written a Soul Mates story where Lex and Tempus are essentially the same man to explain Lex should be in their cluster but Tempus was the in Soul Mates episode? Perhaps Lex and Tempus shared a soul at some point or were twins who shared a soul, but fate destined that they were too dangerous/evil to allow both sides of their soul to be reincarnated at the same time. It would explain why both of their characters are screwed up and have trouble connecting to reality and other people, because half of their soul is missing. But if their soul was ever joined together it could be more powerful than Superman, ala Doomsday. Anyway, just a thought. You know me, always trying to find order in the chaos.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#136805 10/10/13 09:40 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Has anyone ever written a Soul Mates story where Lex and Tempus are essentially the same man to explain Lex should be in their cluster but Tempus was the in Soul Mates episode? Perhaps Lex and Tempus shared a soul at some point or were twins who shared a soul, but fate destined that they were too dangerous/evil to allow both sides of their soul to be reincarnated at the same time. It would explain why both of their characters are screwed up and have trouble connecting to reality and other people, because half of their soul is missing. But if their soul was ever joined together it could be more powerful than Superman, ala Doomsday. Anyway, just a thought. You know me, always trying to find order in the chaos.
The "early Soulmates" story I'm attempting to decide where to place in S1 canon (before sending things had Tempus and Lex as the same soul, just different incarnations. The reason they saw Tempus and not Lex in "SoulMates" was because it was the incarnation that was "still alive" to interact with them and benefit from the curse.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#136806 10/10/13 10:59 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
The "early Soulmates" story I'm attempting to decide where to place in S1 canon (before sending things had Tempus and Lex as the same soul, just different incarnations. The reason they saw Tempus and not Lex in "SoulMates" was because it was the incarnation that was "still alive" to interact with them and benefit from the curse.
clap Great minds think along the same lines! Good Luck!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#136807 10/10/13 11:21 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Makes a lot of sense that Lex and Tempus are connected somehow, now that the idea was brought up....Lex is always power hungry and wanting complete control/Tempus, likewise, even goes for the presidency, etc. They both have such a hatred towards Superman and his power and want to do away with him. They both continue to reappear at different times throughout the series, etc...Together they definitely would create something all too powerful!

This makes the plot-lines of both Tempus and Lex throughout the series interesting to think through now--always fun when new angles come into play in a story we all know so well...

Your story, Christina, sounds like a great idea--can't wait hyper

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#136808 10/16/13 06:21 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ha! I was going to suggest the Lois/Jimmy pairing
From the pilot:
Clark: "You slept with someone you work with? It wasn't Jimmy, was it?"
Lois: "Um..."

#136809 10/16/13 06:50 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by BJ:
Ha! I was going to suggest the Lois/Jimmy pairing
From the pilot:
Clark: "You slept with someone you work with? It wasn't Jimmy, was it?"
Lois: "Um..."
<Pepsi comes out of nose>

rotflol rotflol

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard