Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134541 07/28/11 04:03 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
It is that time again! Since the last two HaC challenges were so much fun, I figured we could play again. smile

Posted here is one half of a telephone conversation. It's up to *YOU* to supply the other half. laugh

Good luck, and have fun. cool

----------------

Lois grumbled and reached over to grab the phone. "Whatever it is, it'd better be important. Do you have any idea what time it is?!" She rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up a little.

"Huh?"

"*Superman*?" She sat up a little straighter, a frown crossing her features. "Have you been drinking?"

Her hand came up to rub her eyes again. "Calm down, okay? I can't follow a word you're---*Married*?!" She glared at the phone. "You *have* been drinking."

"Uh huh. What?! No! No, that's a very bad---just---just stay right where you are, okay? In fact...do you want me to come get you?" She started to climb out of bed.

"What? Oh, he is? That's...that's good, then, I guess."

"Yeah, you do that. I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Okay. Goodnight."

Lois hung up the phone, yawning as she settled back into bed. It was only a matter of seconds before sleep reclaimed her.

~•~
#134542 07/28/11 09:25 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This is my first try at one of these, so my apologies in advance...

Lois grumbled and reached over to grab the phone. "Whatever it is, it'd better be important. Do you have any idea what time it is?!" She rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up a little.

“Lois! Lois! Lois! Doll, Babe, Sweetie, it’s Jimmy, the Jim-meister, the Jiminator!”

"Huh?"

“I so won! Lois, guess what? Guess what?! I know who Superman is!”

"*Superman*?" She sat up a little straighter, a frown crossing her features. "Have you been drinking?"

“Maybe a little bit. Ok. A whole lot of a little bit."

Her hand came up to rub her eyes again. "Calm down, okay? I can't follow a word you're---"

"I’m so going to bury you, Lois! Kerth, baby, you are mine!”

"*Married*?!" She glared at the phone. "You *have* been drinking."

“Yeah, CK took me out to this new club. They had this new kind of drink and it was so cool. The club is so rockin’. And then he had to go…” Jimmy laughed. “Fly!” He laughed again. “Fly, away, little birdy fly! I wonder if I can fly too? If I hold up one of my arms…”

"Uh huh. What?! No! No, that's a very bad---just---just stay right where you are, okay? In fact...do you want me to come get you?" She started to climb out of bed.

“Get me? Nah, Lois. CK’s back. Oh, look. He’s Superman. Uh-oh. He’s looking at me with those intense eyes that you love, Lois.”

“Don’t worry about me, Lois. I’ll just fly home with CK.”

“Not if I see you first. CK, let’s do a fly by… Lois’s apartment.”

"Okay. Goodnight."

“This night so totally rocked, Lois. Oh, and Lois, CK told me to tell you not to believe a word I've been saying 'cause I've been drinking.”

Lois hung up the phone, yawning as she settled back into bed. It was only a matter of seconds before sleep reclaimed her.

Oh, yeah. That was totally awful. But fun. Thanks, Queen of Capes.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#134543 07/29/11 04:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
clap Loved your scenario, Virginia! Clark seems intent on hurting Jimmy right now, so I wouldn't recommend Jimmy to take any random flights home...

My take...

"Lois, it's Perry. I need you to listen to me very closely right now. I... well, I'm afraid I've got a bit of a situation here."

"Huh?"

"Well, you see, I've tried stopping him, but he's bound and determined. I've got him cornered up here on the roof, but I'm scared for him, Lois. He keeps yelling at me, saying he's Superman, and that he's gonna fly right off the building- Kent! Let go- give me-" there were sounds of the phone being wrestled around, then finally another voice came over. "Lois? Lois!! I love you Lois! I'm gonna fly out to you right now- 'cause I'm Superman! Did you catch that part?"

He sounded hurt through the receiver. "I'm not drunk. I'm not anything. I'm flying high on love and sunshine. Why are you attacking me? I *do* love you, Lois Lane! Let's get married, right now!"

Her hand came up to rub her eyes again. "Calm down, okay? I can't follow a word you're---*Married*?!" She glared at the phone. "You *have* been drinking."

"I'm coming, Lois. I'm going to jump off this roof and fly through your apartment window, and then we can go anywhere in the world! This ledge seems stable enough."

"No! I'm gonna go pick you up... Oh, hi Inspector! And Dr. Klein! What are you guys doing here? Dr. Klein and Bill Henderson are here," he spoke back into the phone.

Lois could practically hear the disappointment in his voice. "But doctor... I was gonna go marry Lois! No... alright fine. Sorry, Lois. Dr. Klein and Inspector Henderson and Chief want me to go down to Star Labs first- they said something about helping me plan a better proposal- I'm gonna go, if that's alright with you?"

"Or sooner," he whispered into the phone conspiratorally before she could here Perry takes it from his hands and there was an abrupt click.

"Okay. Goodnight."

*****S*****
I don't know. I've never really done this before, and I'm bored right now. *shrugs* Forgive any mistakes. or randomness. blush

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#134544 07/30/11 01:02 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I haven't an entry, but I just wanted to thank QotC for a fun challenge and to applaud both Virginia and Mouserocks. Well done! clap clap clap

Joy,
Lynn

#134545 07/30/11 05:44 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You're welcome for the challenge, and thank you for the fics. laugh Virginia and Mouserocks, those are rotflol .

Not for the first time, I wish these entries could be part of bigger stories. Ah well, maybe you guys will feel inspired to expand them someday? grovel

~•~
#134546 07/30/11 05:56 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mouserocks: rotflol rotflol Your "married" line worked better than my "bury". If I had given myself more time...

So, now I'm wondering, WHAT was Clark drunk on? Red K?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#134547 07/30/11 10:09 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
OK. Here's my take:

She listened as Jimmy sang off-key, "Get me to the church on time!"

"Huh?"

Jimmy slurred out, "Hey, is Shuperman there?"

"I'm drunk on love. I'm gonna get married."

"Jusht a liitle. To celebuhbrate. I hoped Super-duper-man could fly me and Candy to Vegas tonight. He there?"

"Oh, Hey there! Loish, he's here. Big Blue himshelf."

"He musta heard me talking 'bout him. What? Aw darn. He jusht told me he promished to be somewhere in a few minutes. No wedding tonight, but he can take me home. I'm gonna flyyyyyyy."

"It'sh my day off. Be in on Sunday."

"Okay. Goodnight."

Joy,
Lynn

#134548 07/30/11 11:40 AM
Kerth
Kerth
clap Loved your reply, Lynn! (best part: " I hoped Super-duper-man could fly me and Candy to Vegas tonight." laugh Candy. Wow.)

These would make good longer stories (or at least slightly longer one shots). Maybe I'll think about doing that...

--Mark Twain
#134549 07/30/11 02:13 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn: Funny! jump I'm glad Superman got Jimmy home safe and sound. laugh What Lois DIDN'T address is why JIMMY would think SUPERMAN would be at her apartment in the middle of the night while Lois was sleeping? I so totally could see Lois killing him for that assumption (while Clark died of mortification in the background). LOL. Makes you think, huh?

VirginiaR.
---
#134550 07/30/11 10:33 PM
Kerth
Kerth
What Lois DIDN'T address is why JIMMY would think SUPERMAN would be at her apartment in the middle of the night while Lois was sleeping? I so totally could see Lois killing him for that assumption (while Clark died of mortification in the background).
goofy Good point, Virginia! Maybe she was just too tired in the middle of the night. I'm sure she'll find a way to murder Jimmy and make it look like an accident the next day at work. laugh And then she'll kill Clark for trying to step in (as Superman) and saving Jimmy! :p

--Mark Twain
#134551 07/31/11 12:31 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Virginia, you raise a good question. I agree with Mouserocks that Lois was probably too sleepy during the phone call to consider the implications of what Jimmy had said. But I would *not* want to be in Jimmy's shoes come Sunday morning!

I doubt Jimmy would even remember the conversation by then, so he couldn't even try to come up with a defense other than the obvious one: that he had been too drunk to be thinking clearly.

The fact that if this took place in or after S4, Jimmy would have been right about Superman (well, Clark anyway) being there would be completely irrelevant. Amusing, but irrelevant.

Joy,
Lynn

#134552 07/31/11 01:00 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, I had assumed it was a S1 Lois. A S4 or later Lois wouldn't have been as bothered by the question, agreed. But ONLY then, if Jimmy was in on the know.

Yep. I see a whole story developing here. smile1

VirginiaR.
---
#134553 07/31/11 01:10 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I hadn't particularly considered seasons. I agree that it does seem more S1-ish, but it could work any time, really. I had actually figured that you had thought it would be later, given your mortified-Clark-in-the-background comment. I guess you only meant that he was in the background on Jimmy's end; I had originally thought you had meant that he had been in bed with Lois at the start of the conversation, and had spin-changed and flown to Jimmy when he heard how the conversation was going. (I'm not quite sure how he would have found him; perhaps he had just looked in on Jimmy's usual haunts.)

If this sparks an idea for a larger story for you, by all means run with it! smile

Joy,
Lynn

#134554 07/31/11 04:34 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Actually, Lynn, it has sparked an idea. I'll try to make it a (1/1). laugh If I may borrow your dialogue and Queen of Capes. This could be a funny reveal. dance

VirginiaR.
---
#134555 07/31/11 05:15 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by VirginiaR:
<strong> If I may borrow your dialogue and Queen of Capes. This could be a funny reveal. thumbsup

~•~
#134556 08/01/11 01:11 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Be my guest! I'm honoured that you like my idea enough to 'steal' it, and am interested in seeing how you weave it into a (slightly) larger story. smile

Oh, and Mouserocks, I forgot to comment earlier: I hadn't meant to exclude you. If you want to run with my half story, go for it. It would be interesting to see how two different people fleshed it out. I know I am finding it fascinating to see the way different authors fill in the other half of the conversation in this challenge.

Joy,
Lynn

#134557 08/01/11 01:20 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Oh, I had meant to comment on Mouserocks' "Candy. Wow," comment. It had to be either that or "Bambi". wink

A sign of changing times: I've been listening to the old Superman radio shows, and there is a character in it named "Candy Myers". What threw me when I first heard the name is that it belongs to a male character. Specifically, Candy is a private detective whom Clark occasionally consults.

I can't imagine any straight male character nowadays being given the name 'Candy.'

Just one of many ways the old show reflects the times in which it was written.

Joy,
Lynn

#134558 08/01/11 04:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn: I'm sure 'Candy' was just a nickname for a man who likes to eat a lot of candy. Like 'Stretch' is for a man who is very tall. And 'Bigmouth' is for a man who can't shut up if you feed him a lot. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
#134559 08/01/11 05:52 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Virginia, I imagine you may well be right; but even so, could you honestly see a man being given the nickname 'Candy' in 2011? I can't. A schoolboy who was constantly being picked on, maybe. A full grown, respectable man? Nope.

But I should add that the nicknames in the old radio series were always pretty heavy-handed, and the show explicitly had the characters living up to their nicknames. For example, if a hypothetical character were nicknamed, 'Squints,' the show would have commented explicitly about his eyes. I don't recall Candy Myers ever eating sweets on the show.

Joy,
Lynn

#134560 08/01/11 06:11 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A lot of female names used to be male: Ashley, Lindsay, some others I forget right now... The popular name McKenzie literally means "Son of Kenzie"; make of that what you will.

I predict that in the future, there will be no male names left. Girls will be sporting names like John, Craig and Brian, and parents of boys will be forced to give up and just stick their son with a name like Susan. goofy

~•~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard