DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Loved what Virginia, MouseRocks, and Lynn have done wave

#134562 08/01/11 12:55 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
DW, clap , you nailed it! Great job. I never thought about her mother and drinking. Great tie-in.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#134563 08/01/11 01:20 PM
Kerth
Kerth
smile1 Yes, really liked Ella drinking, DW! And the marriage thing, too! Well done!

As for me, I might end up fleshing out my storyline, and it might be fun to do an alternate take on Lynn's story- be fun to compare some things! And a Lois-murders-Jimmy fic would be fun to write (before you all gasp and hands fly to your poor little hearts, it's not for real!! Jeesh... write one little deathfic and everyone jumps down your throat...) laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#134564 08/01/11 01:50 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I should be asleep, but it’s too hot, so I thought I’d have a go at this as well. It’s almost certainly awful – enjoy!

---

Lois grumbled and reached over to grab the phone. "Whatever it is, it'd better be important. Do you have any idea what time it is?!" She rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up a little.

“I know, I know, but I thought I ought to tell you straight away.”

"Huh?"

“It’s me, Clark, I think I’m Superman and--”

"*Superman*?" She sat up a little straighter, a frown crossing her features. "Have you been drinking?"

“No. Well, a couple of glasses of champagne in celebration. Me and Cat just got married.”

Her hand came up to rub her eyes again. "Calm down, okay? I can't follow a word you're---*Married*?!" She glared at the phone. "You *have* been drinking."

“No, honestly Lois. Apparently we’ve been seeing each other in secret for a while now, and with this asteroid about to kill us all we thought, well, why not. But apparently when we kissed at the altar we floated off the ground, so we’re trying to find my Superman costume and work out how I fly so I can have another go at saving the Earth and then we can have a proper honeymoon in Hawaii. Cat thinks I should just jump off the roof of my, I mean ‘our’, apartment and see what happens. And if I can’t work it out tonight, well, it is our wedding night and Cat has some very... interesting ideas on how we can celebrate it.”

"Uh huh. What?! No! No, that's a very bad---just---just stay right where you are, okay? In fact...do you want me to come get you?" She started to climb out of bed.

“No, Lois, don’t be silly. I’m not going to hurt myself. Cat’s already tried to stab me with a knife. It’s just a ball of metal now, I really am Superman. And we don’t need your help, we’ve already got Jimmy here helping out, and we’re struggling to get him to go away and stop interrupting us when we’re making out.”

"What? Oh, he is? That's...that's good, then, I guess."

“It’s only good if you don’t want a nice romantic wedding-night with your new wife, Lois. To be honest, I think he’s a little jealous. ... Oh, wait, Jimmy’s just found a secret compartment in my wardrobe. It’s full of Superman costumes. ... What? ... Oh, Cat’s saying something about trying to figure out how to attach the capes. ... No, honey, I have no idea. ... I think it’s going to take us all night just to work out how I’m supposed to get these outfits on, let alone fly. I’d better get to it.”

"Yeah, you do that. I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

“Hopefully. And if we can get this all sorted out in time, I’ll be able to see you the day after as well. I’d better go, Lois, I’ve got to save the world.”

"Okay. Goodnight."

“Goodnight, Lois. I know it’s a lot to take in all at once but trust me, everything’s going to be all right. See you tomorrow.”

Lois hung up the phone, yawning as she settled back into bed. It was only a matter of seconds before sleep reclaimed her.

--

OK, that really isn’t as good as the others. And I'm almost ashamed to post this... but to make it work better I'd need to change a couple of Lois' lines as well and that really wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge. So I'm putting away my red pens, hitting the 'add reply' button, and blaming it all on sleep-deprivation.

- Alisha

#134565 08/01/11 02:01 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Alisha, you're too hard on yourself. It thought that worked out rather brilliantly! clap lol Though nobody really likes the idea of Cat and Clark, I like the tie-in with the Nightfall incident. Clark's confusion is adorable, Jimmy's butting in hilarious, and Cat would take advantage of the amnesia as best she can... worked well! I think you could extend it/improve it the way you wanted it and post it... I would read. smile

--Mark Twain
#134566 08/01/11 02:29 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Another pair of excellent entries.

DW, the idea of using Ellen is brilliant.

Alisha, your entry is hysterical! rotflol rotflol rotflol And far from being awful, I think it may be the best one yet. I second everything Mouserocks said about it.

QotC, Good point about the feminizing of a lot of male names. And I loved the 'Boy Named Sue' tie-in. smile

#134567 08/01/11 09:34 PM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
VIrginia, Mouserocks, and Lynn thank you for the feedback. I am so clap

#134568 08/01/11 09:42 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by DW:
And Alisha, I loved your idea with Nightfall (though not Cat and Clark together so much, and I think that would have really woken Lois up could you have changed Lois' conversation a little) clap
Alisha, rotflol

Love that Jimmy was in the way and how excited Clark sounded on the phone.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#134569 08/02/11 05:58 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Glad you guys enjoyed.
quote:
Originally posted by DW:
And Alisha, I loved your idea with Nightfall (though not Cat and Clark together so much, and I think that would have really woken Lois up could you have changed Lois' conversation a little)
Alisha, , I agree with DW here. I think that Lois wouldn't have gone back to sleep easily if she knew that Superman was now married to Cat.
I totally agree with you. It's one of a couple of bits that I wasn't entirely happy with. For the purposes of this little challenge, I think we ought to pretend that Lois had taken some very strong sleeping tablets wink . If I were to flesh this out into a story, I probably would have Lois rush over to Clark's instead.

And, on a side note, has anyone ever written a story where Clark believed Cat when she told him they were seeing each other?

- Alisha

#134570 08/04/11 05:03 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh, ooh! My turn!

Lois grumbled and reached over to grab the phone. "Whatever it is, it'd better be important. Do you have any idea what time it is?!" She rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up a little.

“Lois? It’s Lucy. You weren’t sleeping, were you? Geez, it’s only 1:00, and it’s Friday night…well, I guess it’s Saturday morning…but still…Anyway, I’m back in town and I thought you’d want to know.” In the background Lois could hear the loud buzz of dozens of conversations being shouted over the clamorous music of a rock band.

"Huh?"

“’Huh?’ Is that all you can say? Wake up, Lois, and focus.” Lucy was shouting into the phone in a semi-futile attempt to be heard over the noise. “This is your sister speaking,” Lucy continued, “and I have something important to tell you. You’ll be happy to know that I am done with losers. Done, finito, caput. I’ve finally figured it out. I’m going to get Superman for myself. He’s the last true gentleman.”

"*Superman*?" She sat up a little straighter, a frown crossing her features. "Have you been drinking?"

“Of course I’ve been drinking! It’s Friday night, and, unlike you, I am not an old married fuddy-duddy. But that doesn’t matter. The point is, I’m not letting any more jerks like Steven or Curtis or Brian treat me like dirt. You’ve got Clark, and I’m going to get me the next best thing. I’m going to meet Superman, and then we’re going to get married. Well, not right away, of course. He’ll want a few dates to get to know me first, but eventually. He’ll come around, you’ll see!” Lucy’s voice was steadily gaining pitch as she talked. Whether that indicated excitement or desperation, Lois couldn’t be sure. Probably a little of each—Lucy could go from happy, manic drunk to sobbing, wailing drunk in a matter of seconds.

Her hand came up to rub her eyes again. "Calm down, okay? I can't follow a word you're---*Married*?!" She glared at the phone. "You *have* been drinking."

Lois felt Clark’s hand on her shoulder, but she was having a hard time understanding Lucy, so she waved him off. She didn’t even notice when he quietly slipped out the bedroom window.

“Of course I have. I already told you that. So what? It doesn’t make any difference. Drunk or not, men are still creeps. All of them except Clark and Superman, of course. I know just how to meet him, too. All I have to do is…excuse me, Lois…” Lucy’s voice became muffled as she addressed someone else. “Do you mind? I’m trying to talk here. Oh, puhlease, like I haven’t heard that line a hundred times before.” Whoever it was must have gotten the hint, because Lucy turned her attention back to Lois. “Anyway, like I was saying, all I have to do is find a tall building and jump off. One loud scream, and voila! Superman to the rescue! That is how you met him, isn’t it?”

"Uh huh. What?! No! No, that's a very bad---just---just stay right where you are, okay? In fact...do you want me to come get you?" She started to climb out of bed.

“Hold on, Lois.” Lucy turned away from the phone again, but Lois could still hear her saying, “Look, buddy, I already told you…” After that all Lois could hear was a low rumble of voices. After a minute or two, during which Lois strained mightily but unsuccessfully to make out what was going on and became progressively more worried about her little sister, Lucy’s voice came back on the line, sounding much steadier than it had earlier. “What were you saying? Oh, right! You don’t need to come get me. Clark’s here.”

"What? Oh, he is? That's...that's good, then, I guess."

“Yeah, some drunk guy wouldn’t take no for an answer, but then Clark showed up and gave him the big brother act. I never knew Clark could be so scary. He told me he was here to meet a source. I don’t even want to know what kind of a story he’s working on. And why didn’t you wait up for him? Did you know that he knows Superman? He says he can arrange for me to meet him without jumping off any buildings. Pretty cool, huh? Anyway, Clark’s going to take me home now, and he said I should come over for lunch tomorrow so we can catch up.”

"Yeah, you do that. I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Okay. Goodnight."

Lois hung up the phone, yawning as she settled back into bed. It was only a matter of seconds before sleep reclaimed her.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#134571 08/04/11 05:36 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Happygirl, your scenario was awesome! laugh Never even thought about using Lucy in that situation- this was absolutely perfect! Love how you made it after Lois and Clark are married- Clark's coming in at the end was inspired! clap

--Mark Twain
#134572 08/04/11 10:17 PM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Happygirl, that was a really cool scenario and I loved your take on the conversation clap

#134573 08/05/11 04:41 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you both. I love how so many stories can come out of the same prompt. And props to Queenie for the inspiration! laugh

Happy

#134574 08/05/11 08:42 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Poor Clark; I can just imagine him having to fend off Lucy's advances while he's in the suit. rotflol

I'm starting to think we need more of these, what say you? laugh And hey, if any of y'all want to start one, go right ahead. smile

~•~
#134575 08/05/11 10:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think someone needs to go over to the fanfic thread and post a link to these. I, however, have my hand full, literally, with HappyBaby.

ETA: Did it, now that HappyBaby is happily asleep. wink

#134576 08/05/11 05:33 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol These are awesome!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#134577 01/07/13 10:42 AM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Oh, I had meant to comment on Mouserocks' "Candy. Wow," comment. It had to be either that or "Bambi". wink

A sign of changing times: I've been listening to the old Superman radio shows, and there is a character in it named "Candy Myers". What threw me when I first heard the name is that it belongs to a male character. Specifically, Candy is a private detective whom Clark occasionally consults.

I can't imagine any straight male character nowadays being given the name 'Candy.'

Just one of many ways the old show reflects the times in which it was written.

Joy,
Lynn
Candy, the man, although I am not sure he has a last name there but he is a detiective, also showed up in the George Reeves Superman TV show.

John Pack Lambert
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard