Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
There are numerous stories in which Clark explains away a son/daughter by saying that Ultrawoman is the mother. So the history of Ultrawoman, as perceived by the general public, is a woman with superpowers who was active for a couple of days then vanished without much of an explanation, and is now said to have done so because she wanted to be a wife and mother.

All very commendable, of course... but what does the feminist movement make of it? And everyone else who wonders why Ultrawoman wasn't around to help out in an emergency? How are L&C going to explain her absence from the scene?

I'm not sure how this one would work - probably as a comedy, but maybe more can be done with it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
Marcus, you raise an intertesting question. I'd never assumed when reading these fics that Ultrawoman's motivation was as you describe. I always got the feeling that the explanation that Ultrwoman was the mom was pretty offhand. The reader could make of her disappearnce what they would, and given that Lois was, in fact, Ultrawoman, that was that.

So here's my thought. It's Ultrawoman's narrative, rather than Superman's.

Ultrawoman is an intergalactic traveller, backpackinging around the universe so to speak. She likes Superman, decides he's good genetic material and decides to have a child by him. She's decided to have 3 or 4 kids, but wants to ensure the survival of her genetic material. So, following the advice of investment counsellors everywhere, she diversifies, wisely not wanting to put all her eggs in one basket. smile

In her culture that's how it goes.

When the kids reach their mid-teens, they are sent to reside with their fathers for a bit - time to learn more stuff.

c.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Ultrawoman is an intergalactic traveller, backpackinging around the universe so to speak. She likes Superman, decides he's good genetic material and decides to have a child by him. She's decided to have 3 or 4 kids, but wants to ensure the survival of her genetic material.
Yes. I like this. A lot. A lot.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Me too! It's perfect!

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Yep, absolutely. And I can imagine a young fledgling investigative reporter trying to find out Superman's secret identity by searching for teenage children popping up out of thin air (or outer space).

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The intergalactic thing works for me. Of course we now get various pressure groups demanding that Superman should marry her, and/or wanting to know how he did so without anyone knowing.

Marcus L. Rowland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, those pressure groups offer some satiric possibilities - this is Ultrawoman's narrative, so her reaction to these odd Earthling groups is a puzzled look. Marriage is an Earth custom, not hers. Besides which of the four fathers, none of the others from Earth, would she marry?

Anyway, she takes off, back on her intergalactic travels and adventures - by the end of which she's been many places, done many things, (among which is raise 4 amazing kids - superheroes, each and every one - one is a warlock, btw. laugh )

Superman was but a chapter in her life, although of course a very pleasant chapter. (could even be an nfic chapter. wink

my take on it, anyway

c.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by ccmalo:
one is a warlock, btw.
Or a wizard, of course...

Marcus L. Rowland
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Carol wrote:
Superman was but a chapter in her life, although of course a very pleasant chapter.
I agree, this is interesting. But I think that even if this is Ultra Woman's tale, there should be some explanation of how she secured his genetic material.

Did she seduce him? If so, how would Lois react?

Did she impersonate Lois? If so, was it before or after they "crossed the intimacy threshold?"

Did she befuddle him with her alien powers so that he doesn't remember what happened?

Do Clark and Lois have any children now? Do they have powers yet? Will they resent this interloper or take him/her into their family? Are they even supposed to know about this older half-sibling?

So many fascinating possibilities to explore. Someone should definitely go for it, assuming someone hasn't already done so.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, but Lois *is* Ultrawoman -- so no real problem. But, of course, the tabloids would want to know about Superman and Ultrawoman. So I can see all sorts of improbable tales getting spun.. laugh

Or...
What if Lois Lane somehow gets amnesia and so, as Ultrawoman, she has no memory of who her alter ego is. Then Fling Time with Superman, and she takes off on her interplanetary adventures, never remembering that she was once Lois Lane.

rambling here, as you can tell smile

c.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Marcus, thanks for pointing out your Calvin Potter Kent story! clap (And for some reason I called the boy "Calvin Klein" - but it just didn't have the right ring to it.... wink )

And Carol, I loved your suggestion that that commmon LnC affliction, amnesia, would affect Lois so that she would take off into space, believing herself to be Ultrawoman and not remembering she was ever Lois Lane! (Okay, I don't think I love it enough to want to see it turned into a story, but still.... laugh )

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
How about Lois writing a roleplay outline, the above Ultrawoman tale, just for her and Clark to enjoy and someone hacks her computer and thinks it is the real thing and sells the tale to other "news" media?

Framework4
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Framework4:
How about Lois writing a roleplay outline, the above Ultrawoman tale, just for her and Clark to enjoy and someone hacks her computer and thinks it is the real thing and sells the tale to other "news" media?
Or L&C deliberately leak it to e.g. the Dirt Digger so that there's an origin story out there that a lot of people believe but they can deny unconvincingly, but with a clear conscience!

Marcus L. Rowland
Top Banana
Top Banana
heh heh - so L & C's game playing turns out to be a mind game with the Tabloid press. Very nice smile

c.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
BTW Do folks know that the Japanese have their own "UltraWoman"? [Linked Image]

There is also a firm called ALPHA-OMEGA COMICS that has their own Ultrawoman.
[Linked Image]

Those costumes plus the L&C version of Ultrawoman [Linked Image]

Could cause some real confusion.

Framework4

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard