Next Thread
Print Thread
#132423 10/06/07 02:37 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
My children LOVE fanfic. Unfortunately, almost all of it is too long and too difficult to read. Anybody up for writing short fiction (100-250 words), limited to 1 or 2 syllable words and only a few sight words (words that don't follow their phonetic spelling)?

I posted The Lad in the Ship as a good example.

Thanks,

Elisabeth

#132424 10/07/07 04:11 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Elisabeth,
My son is in first grade, so although I used too many sight words, I did my best to use small, phonetic words or those that have been on his spelling lists (most common sight words).

Here's BatP and HoL summed up as an easy reader, originally written by Dan and Deborah Joy Levine. I did take some poetic license with it - it's a whole lot easier to say "wed" than to find a phonetic phrasing for "is there any hope for us".

It's over 300 words. Sorry I didn't meet the length criteria. I got lazy - it's two episodes, after all.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Lois and Clark were friends. They had a job to do. Each day, they find the news. When they find it, they put it in the newspaper.

Lois met Lex. Lois and Lex went on a date. They had fun.

Lex said he was good, but he was not. He was a bad man. He hid the bad things he did. Lois did not think Lex was bad.

Lex wanted to wed Lois. He got rid of her job. He blew up the newspaper.

Lex did it, but said it was Jack. A cop took Jack away.

Lois was sad. She wants to find the news with Clark, but cannot.

Clark was sad. Clark wants to find the news with Lois, but cannot.

Clark told Lois that Lex was bad. Lois did not trust Clark. Clark was mad.

Soon, Lex asked Lois to wed. She was mixed up.

Lois loved Superman. Lois asked Superman to wed, but he said no.

Clark was a good man. Clark was Superman, too. Lois did not see Clark when he flew – just Superman. This made Clark sad.

Lois was sad. Her job was gone. Her friends were mad. Lois said she would wed Lex. This made Clark cry and yell.

Clark wanted to find the truth. Perry and Jim were his friends. They gave Clark help. It took a long time.

Lex did not think Superman and Clark were the same. Lex set a trap. Lex put him in bars that hurt. Poor Superman.

Lois missed Clark. Lois did not wed. She said no to Lex and felt joy.

Perry and Jim tell a cop about Lex. The cop came to take Lex away. Lex ran.

Lex wanted to hurt Superman. But Clark was smart. He was not in the bars that hurt. He got out.

Lois wanted a hug. “Where is Clark?” she said. Clark said, “I am here.” She gave him a big hug. They were best friends again.

The End.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

I know my grammer stinks. Among other problems, I switched between present and past tense a few times, but didn't see a way around it without bringing more complicated words into it. grumble

This was an interesting exercise. I may try another in a while.
BJ

#132425 10/08/07 09:44 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, I'm going to be a geek and post another response to the Early Reader challenge. The subject is significantly less angsty than BatP and HoL. blush

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

To Fly in the Sky
By BJ

Clark lived on a farm. He was a good boy. He loved his mom and dad. His mom and dad loved him.

Clark was happy most of the time. But a few things were hard for Clark. He came from the sky, so he was not like other kids. When he was ten, he saw too far. He saw past solid things. He burned with his eyes. He ran too fast. Clark hid the things he did. He did not tell his friends. But he did tell his mom and dad. Clark did not understand.

“Why?” he said to his mom.

“I can not say,” said his mom. “But you are OK.”

One day, when Clark was big, he flew. “Mom, did you see me?”

“I saw you, son,” she said. She was glad Clark liked to fly.

“Dad, see me fly.”

The boy was up, way up in the sky. He flew.

His dad saw him fly. “How did you do it?” said his dad.

“Like this,” he said. He put his hand up and flew.

“Wow,” they said. “That is so cool.”

The End.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~
BJ

#132426 10/08/07 12:14 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
How cute, BJ! smile I particularly like the second one.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#132427 10/08/07 12:19 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Awesome! My second grader will love these! I'll give you her feedback after she's read it. She wants to go see it now.

Elisabeth

#132428 10/08/07 02:20 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
For the HoL story:

RGT--grade 2--says, "I liked it. My favorite part was when he gets out of the jail. I also liked when he was not made at the end."

TFT--grade K--says, "Awesome!" She only made it halfway through before bedtime came around, but I'm sure she'll finish up tomorrow. She loves to read.

I also found it difficult to write in only one tense and still make it easy to read. Sometimes I cheat and slip in a quote to make it easier, like, " 'Can I help?' his pals asked. I also use my thesaurus a whole lot more than I normally do. I find it takes me twice as long to write things on a basic level than it does to write at my own reading level, but isn't it worth it when they read without complaints?

Thanks for all of your help. We had a great time reading your first story tonight. I know we'll have a great time tomorrow or Wednesday night reading the next one. smile

Oh, and one more ramble for you... I told my girls that someone wrote two stories just for them to read. They got all excited, but we were delayed in reading right away. (Two phone calls and two poopy diapers tonight. What a mess!) When I got back to my laptop my 5-yr-old was all excited. "I found them: Sin and The Picnic." I haven't had a chance to read through either one of them, but something tells me that Sin is not on a 5-yr-old reading level. devil

Elisabeth

#132429 10/09/07 11:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Elisabeth:
<strong> For the HoL story:

Oh, and one more ramble for you... I told my girls that someone wrote two stories just for them to read. They got all excited, but we were delayed in reading right away. (Two phone calls and two poopy diapers tonight. What a mess!) When I got back to my laptop my 5-yr-old was all excited. "I found them: Sin and The Picnic." I haven't had a chance to read through either one of them, but something tells me that Sin is not on a 5-yr-old reading level. cat

~•~

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard