Next Thread
Print Thread
#132223 08/16/07 03:25 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
There is a TOGOM fic that bothers me because it shows Lois as nothing with Clark gone.

She never moves on, instead fading away without Clark Kent.

There are also a number of TOGOM variants with Clark becoming Superman full time.

That idea always bothers me, and of course I've been reading Foundations by Caroline.

It all got me to thinking.

What sets the Clark Kent of LnC apart from movieVerse Superman is his connection with people.

Instead of being alien all his life and going away at age 18 to be trained by a Alien AI and coming back in his early 30s with his MISSION and being told he must always be apart,

Our Clark grew up thinking himself human, interacting with other humans, going to college and then wandering the world sampling many cultures and learning something from each.

He learned to be human from humans.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens the wits of another.” Proverbs 27:17, The New English Bible.

I can't picture Lois Lane ever fading away. I can't picture Clark being able to give up being Clark and spending time with people just relaxing.

========================

I can picture him not telling her and trying to be Superman full time.

But as he goes from spot to spot on the globe he find he needs to take some down time. so he does but always far away from Metropolis.

Thinking that away from Metropolis no one will know him. But the LnC Clark traveled the world.

Picture him sitting in a out of the way coffee shop on the far side of the world. Sipping coffee and chatting with the staff and locals.

A voice says "Clark old chap" and he finds himself talking to someone he knew years ago and talking as Clark.

It's safe, after all Clark's death was minor one day news in Metropolis years ago. And at the time no one had found his body. His parents never tried to deal with any of it in Smallville, they just avoided talking about Clark for sometime.

Since his parents never took steps Clark was never declared dead.

So Clark realizes he can still be Clark. He can visit Smallville and even if someone recalls the newspaper article some years ago he can dismiss it as an incomplete report.

Soon he begins to write again but using the pen name "Charles King". He pays taxes and when the IRS inquires about the missed years says he was out of the country much of the time and had no in Country (inside the USA) income to declare.

Time passes, another year or two. Lois has moved on professionally, leaving the Daily Planet sometime after the death of Perry White.

She has a number of books, fiction and non fiction, to her credit. She writes freelance for all the major news magazines. She has money and is able to spend her time as she desires.

She has not had a serious relationship, in fact is rather annoyed with herself that she still tends to measure men by the Clark standard.

Originally posted by Caroline:
I’m not so stupid I don’t recognize my own partner’s writing when I see it
I can see Lois picking up a travel book by Charles King or a background book on international affairs by Jerry Clark and seeing Clark Kent in the writing.

Over time with another book, a search of his articles and the like and she becomes certain he is alive. This causes her to consider why he pretended to be dead. It allows her insight and she knows he is Superman. It takes some time but she gets over the hurt and decides to seek him out.

===================

Anyone want to write it? or take something from it?

Framework4
#132224 08/17/07 09:10 PM
Kerth
Kerth
That's just a wonderful idea, Patrick! clap I hope there will be takers.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#132225 08/18/07 10:58 AM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I have meant to give my thumbs up to this idea as well, so now I will, lol. Afterall, I think even Clark would eventually admit to himself that Superman is not the real person so without Clark, he cannot exist.

If anyone is intereste din joing forces with me, I'd be happy to give this a go! I just have never written an L and C fic and would prefer to have a co-writer, plus it'd be more fun. smile

Mona

#132226 08/18/07 03:13 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think I'll try my hand - I have another challenge to write for and this theme will do nicely. laugh

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#132227 08/19/07 09:00 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
If you need a side issue, you have to pay taxes if you are overseas. You just get to exclude some of what you make. From the IRS website
If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to $82,400 of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.
If you don't file and its been more than 3 years IIRC you can't claim the exemption and have to pay taxes on all of it, plus interest etc.

#132228 08/19/07 12:29 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Originally posted by dcarson:
If you need a side issue, you have to pay taxes if you are overseas. You just get to exclude some of what you make. From the IRS website
Good point, what you need to pay depends on the source and type and amount. But you are required to file upon returning to the USA.

Framework4
#132229 08/19/07 12:53 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually, one of my TOGoM varaints (I don't remember which number, it was a longer story)does explore the scenario where Clark doesn't tell Lois he is alive, and she has to go through a memorial service for Clark.

She eventually does find out (I don't remember how)and the fireworks start.

The time frame is only months, not years if I remember correctly.

Tank (who has always liked TOGoM rewrites because it allows writers to showcase Lois in a wide variety of emotions and responses)

F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by Dandello
I think I'll try my hand - I have another challenge to write for and this theme will do nicely. laugh
She did write it, Mendacity

Very well done.

Framework4

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard