Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131422 02/08/07 05:59 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I’ve been battling for a very long time against this infernal animal. I wanted to put it in the back burner till I felt ready to do it justice myself, but it’s been eating at me out of house and brain until I had to capitulate and put it up for adoption. help

Lois Lane, at forty, has it all. After more than ten years of marriage, she’s madly in love with her husband, she has beautiful children and a lovely home. She’s slowly reconciling with her parents. Her career is at an all-time high with her Pulitzer prize as well as being a best selling novelist. The happy, whole, maternal and carefree Lois Lane here is vastly different from the one we know.
Until she’s the target of an assassination attempt which, though it fails, leaves her in a coma for three months and she wakes up with no memory of the past fourteen years. Worse, given the record of her previous head traumas, the doctors think it’s unlikely her memory will ever return to her fully.
For Lois, it’s a Rip Van Winkle nightmare. She’s married to a man she last remembers as a wet-behind-the-ears rookie reporter who was foisted on her by Perry a few months ago. She’s apparently turned into her worst nightmare: a soccer mom. Her children are a responsibility which terrifies and confuses her, but which she can’t shy away from as they obviously need her to be a mother to them. She has strangers from all walks of life who know her better than she knows herself, and claim to be her friends. Her father is back in her life. Jimmy Olsen is a veteran foreign correspondent with more experience as a journalist than she remembers having. Her entire world has become a terrifyingly idyllic place to live in. She has a lifetime to start over from scratch.
And worst of all, everyone expects her to take the place of the woman she never knew she could have become, and who she knows she will never again be.
The only familiar aspect of her life seems to be that someone is still trying to kill her for reasons she has no clue about.
And why is her husband being so secretive?
Her investigation begins to implicate a conspiracy of international proportions, which leads her to a secret underground organization called Westgate. And the key to finding out how she is involved in all of this lies in tracking down it’s ring leader; an elusive figure known simply as - Madame.

Okay, so now that I’ve done the teaser trailer, is there anybody out there willing to write the actual story? I have it nearly all mapped out but writing fiction is not my forte. frown
Note: I ran into a seemingly abandoned WIP called Future Perfect a few weeks ago that had an uncanny resemblance to my story, although the implication in that was that Lois had journeyed through time. This is not the case in my premise, it’s a bit more Bourne Identity than that, and I assure you this premise was conceived of months before I’d read it. I suppose that great minds think alike!
blush laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#131423 02/08/07 06:43 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Hasini, this would be *SOOOO* good. I am dying to read it already. Unfortunately I don't have it in me to write it, but we've got some authors around here who could really do justice to your idea (and you know who you are!).

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#131424 02/08/07 06:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hasini has another fabulous idea! drool

Andreia wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#131425 02/08/07 07:38 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
(and you know who you are!).
What do you mean, Lisa? confused

Btw, thanks for the enthusiasm. laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
#131426 02/08/07 07:39 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
OMG Hasini! Someone has to write this! It's a terribly fascinating idea! Your teaser was brilliant, and I had to say this line really, really struck me:

And worst of all, everyone expects her to take the place of the woman she never knew she could have become, and who she knows she will never again be.
And then, of course, I died laughing at this:

The only familiar aspect of her life seems to be that someone is still trying to kill her for reasons she has no clue about.
I hope you or someone's able to write this!! smile1

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#131427 02/08/07 07:56 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I would really love to see this. It sounds brilliant. I know there are stories somewhat similar to it floating around but nothint to this scale and nothing with this take on it. I would give it a read. ^_~

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#131428 02/08/07 08:57 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
(and you know who you are!).
What do you mean, Lisa?
I meant there are some authors who would really excel at this, but I didn't want to put them on the spot by naming them.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#131429 02/08/07 01:05 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jenni Debbage's 'The Forgotten' deals with this premise (and a lot more smile ) - only it's Clark who has the amnesia. He's about the same age as Hasini is proposing, he and Lois have children, etc.

c.

#131430 02/08/07 03:46 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Not really. I've read "The Forgotten", (LOVED it!) but what I'm thinking about is completely different. It's not just about having amnesia, really, the plot centers on being surrounded by ones you whom loved and trusted the most, in another life you don't remember, and being able to trust nobody. It's a bit of a whodunit thriller, really, with a lot of angst. Think Bourne Identity.
Also, it's imperative that it's Lois centric.
I think it's really unfair that the gods should inflict fully-formed plot bunnies like this on a person who so obviously can't write them. frown

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131431 02/08/07 06:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sounds like a great story idea. A few years ago, I actually read about a woman in a similar circumstances. She required brain surgery and when she woke up, she had no memory of the past 20 years.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#131432 02/08/07 06:56 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That's okay. You're a wonderful muse, Hasini. (Think FB).

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#131433 02/08/07 07:08 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Actually it sounds like Hasini has more to go on this time. With Faustian all she gave me was "buddy sex" and the premise that maybe it wouldn't go as smoothly as they hoped. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#131434 02/08/07 08:04 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I wonder. I don't know much about retrograde amnesia, but it seems usually, the only things people forget are personal stuff, stuff that they experienced, rather than the names of presidents and how to work a computer. So would that mean that Lois would know how to operate a cell phone in 2007, as cell phones hadn't really caught on in 1993 (the year she last remembers living in), esp not ones with the sorts of features we have today?

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131435 02/09/07 12:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's an interesting premise - I did a bit of very superficial research on this topic for a fic I wrote a fic a few years ago, and I gather it really depends on the part(s) of the brain that are damaged. Maybe there are some folcs out there whose RL experience in biology, psychology, health care could help with the brain chemistry bits?

The other thing is the trust issue - you'd have to find a plausible explanation for why Lois would feel she couldn't trust anyone.

Wayne Gretsky's father suffered a stroke which left him with amnesia - as far as I know he never did recover his memories of his personal life. What he did retain, though, is the skill sets he had. A lack of trust of those around him doesn't seem to have been an issue at all, though, in his case.

c.

#131436 02/09/07 12:35 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's not just about having amnesia, really, the plot centers on being surrounded by ones you whom loved and trusted the most, in another life you don't remember, and being able to trust nobody. It's a bit of a whodunit thriller, really, with a lot of angst. Think Bourne Identity.
Oh my. All the ingredients of my very favourite plot themes. laugh I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. I've been known to watch episodes of TV shows I normally detest if that's the plot of the week. I've always been fascinated by the notion of suddenly not being able to trust the people you should be able to absolutely.

Someone write this! Quick! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#131437 02/09/07 12:44 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by ccmalo:

The other thing is the trust issue - you'd have to find a plausible explanation for why Lois would feel she couldn't trust anyone.

c.
It's cause there's a lot of things going on that nobody is quite sure how to tell her how about, so everybody is holding things back from her, especially Clark.
And as for the other reason...well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131438 02/09/07 12:18 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think, generally, having lost your entire life and memory of it would just make you naturally suspicious anyway. Not to mention a little paranoid. You suddenly have no reference points of your own, you're entirely at the mercy of what other people tell you about yourself, about your history, about your relationships, about who you are and what kind of person you are and have been.

For someone as cynical and suspicious as Lois, who in her earliest incarnation wasn't the most trusting person to begin with, I can easily see why she would find this disorientating and hard to accept.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#131439 02/09/07 04:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think, generally, having lost your entire life and memory of it would just make you naturally suspicious anyway. Not to mention a little paranoid.
Oh, I totally agree, LabRat.

I would try to say something about psychological issues (I used to work with psychiatric patients), but since I haven't been sleeping well and have obviously been not typing quite right (never mind), I'd probably end up not making any sense. rotflol

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#131440 02/09/07 05:32 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh my goodness. This would definitely be a must-read for me!

As for coming up with a whole plot without being able to write--that's how "Darkest Dreams" started out for me. I set it out as a challenge, but eventually just decided to tackle it myself, though I had no writing experience whatsoever. Why don't you give it a try? I think you'd surprise yourself on what you can do! You came up with it on your own, after all.

<looks around hopefully for someone to accept the challenge>

SmirkyRaven

#131441 02/09/07 06:03 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well, as for not having written a fic before, well neither had Margaret Mitchell before Gone With the Wind. Although you shouldn't try and emulate in the fact that she never wrote anything after, either. We'd come after you with pitch forks!
But I CAN'T write... mecry

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131442 02/10/07 06:12 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'll start learning the medical stuff about psychiatry and neurology in spring ( April, precisely.) I've got no pratical experience like Classicalla, but I'll be glad to help, if you think that you need the knowledge of a medical student.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#131443 02/10/07 06:52 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to write this myself, but the offer is certainly appreciated! If I do, (write it) I'll probably need all the help I can get!

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131444 02/10/07 07:09 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'm sure you can do it, Lady Mirth. Perhaps you should just start doing it. It's only than that you'll see if you can or can't do it. Trust me, I know that people can do more than they expect. I mean, who would believe that it's possible to learn 1100 words in one week. ( I didn't believe that I could do that but I did)

#131445 02/10/07 07:18 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Whoa!
Why on earth did you want to learn 1100 words in a week? dizzy

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131446 02/10/07 07:28 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Who told you I want???? I had to. Okay, it was me who decided to go to university and study medicine. I can tell you, for the second week in university this was a pretty rough welcome. smile

#131447 02/10/07 07:30 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
You are a brave, brave woman! cool

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131448 02/10/07 07:46 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
And so are you, just jump into the cold water and find out what you are capable of. What anyone of us would write is probably going to disappoint you, because it's not your Lois and Clark they use. That's something I learnt on this boards. I had written a bit of fanfic years ago. It was bad, because I was a teenager and whatever writing skills I have were still developing. I gave up writing fanfic, because I was limited to characters that I didn't create.

Now I know that Lois and Clark might already have a certain character and you have to stick to it to write a (more or less) believable story. But they are your characters as well. Some parts of their personality is your interpretation of them. And that's different with every author.

So try to write and then send your story to a beta-reader. He or she can help you to develop your skills. You'll be surprised how much you can learn in a short time. I don't speak English on a daily basis and I had barely written an English sentence for three years before I started writing on these boards. And now I don't have to look up so much words when I'm writing, and the number of my mistakes is getting smaller.

Come on, Lady Mirth, give it a try.

#131449 02/10/07 09:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yes, Hasini, only you will know all the aspects of the story you want put in. I'm sure you've thought of some lines that would work well in the story or some events that should be included. Write what you've already thought of and see what happens.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

#131450 02/10/07 10:37 AM
Blogger
Blogger
This sounds like an interesting story to me. I hope you, Lady Mirth, or somebody writes it.

#131451 02/10/07 09:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'd say give it a shot, Lady Mirth. I mean, what bakasi said is right on. Like I said, DD started as a fic challenge, and even though Dandello wrote an amazing fic on it, it didn't go in the direction I was thinking about (as you can tell, 110000+ words into Darkest Dreams) and it just wasn't *mine*. Trust me when I say it really is satisfying to get out there and say, "This is MY fic. MINE. And people read it, and like it. It is MINE!" It's a major ego-booster, I promise! grumble wink thumbsup laugh Nevertheless, I'm certainly not going anywhere for some time, so don't be afraid for lack of angst from this quarter for a while longer, at least.

As for the pitch forks...you guys come after me with them anyway, so it's kind of an idle threat.

<yawns>

Good night!

SmirkyRaven

#131452 02/10/07 09:58 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
We could bring out DJ's chainsaws.

#131453 02/10/07 10:24 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
After all this encouragement, I suppose I'd feel pretty small if I didn't at least try . blush
But no promises though. I might post a stand alone vignette first, just to get my feet wet. peep
But until then, the offer still stands! laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131454 02/11/07 07:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
OH! This sounds like such a smashing idea! I don't have anything helpful to add and I can't write, but I will be there to read it!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#131455 02/11/07 10:10 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
All right.

#131456 02/11/07 01:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yay! I am glad you decided to give this a shot, I will definately be watching for it. It sounds like a great premise.

Kate laugh

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
#131457 02/11/07 02:18 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think it's really unfair that the gods should inflict fully-formed plot bunnies like this on a person who so obviously can't write them.
Don't believe a single word she says on that account. There were whole sentences and even a couple of paragraphs in the first two parts of Faustian that Hasini flat out wrote. I even asked her if she wanted to co-author on the story but she pulled that "oh, I can't really write" routine on me. I've sometimes wondered how much better the story could have been if she hadn't disappeared on me.
Trust me when I say it really is satisfying to get out there and say, "This is MY fic. MINE. And people read it, and like it. It is MINE!" It's a major ego-booster, I promise!
<giggles> Yeah, it is like that sometimes, isn't it? I just wish the feeling lasted longer.

C'mon, Hasini, just write it already! I, for one, have faith in you. You absolutely can write. clap

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#131458 02/11/07 03:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Woody.

Are you referring to these?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

laugh

You have my vote Hasini. thumbsup Try the pool - I think you'll find the water quite warm. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#131459 02/11/07 04:59 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had to look up the term plot bunny. I'm happy to know now what it is and man is it a cute term.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#131460 02/11/07 06:24 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've posted a very rough first draft up on my LJ. <points at homepage icon> Feel free to comment, if you like. blush

It probably won't make the MBs for another couple of weeks, though. Assuming I find a beta reader. <stares around, meaningfully>

OMG! DJ's unleashed the chainsaws! This is coercion! I'm calling the UN! <cowers under desk>

rotflol

There were whole sentences and even a couple of paragraphs in the first two parts of Faustian that Hasini flat out wrote.
I noticed you'd left them in and did bit of sqeeing in glee! Thanks, Sue!
blush

I even asked her if she wanted to co-author on the story but she pulled that "oh, I can't really write" routine on me. I've sometimes wondered how much better the story could have been if she hadn't disappeared on me.
I was afrad I was trying to turn it into a cross between PG Wodehouse and Harlequin Mills and Boon. (The rejected pile!) I really didn't mean to write that stuff for you, they were meant to be suggestions. Personally, I don't think FB suffered any. You and your fantastic betas obviously did the best job possible!
It's very sweet that you think that though! laugh

C'mon, Hasini, just write it already! I, for one, have faith in you. You absolutely can write.
I'll just have to take it on your authority then! <g>

“Is he dead, Lois?”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard