Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#131442 02/10/07 06:12 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'll start learning the medical stuff about psychiatry and neurology in spring ( April, precisely.) I've got no pratical experience like Classicalla, but I'll be glad to help, if you think that you need the knowledge of a medical student.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#131443 02/10/07 06:52 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to write this myself, but the offer is certainly appreciated! If I do, (write it) I'll probably need all the help I can get!

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#131444 02/10/07 07:09 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'm sure you can do it, Lady Mirth. Perhaps you should just start doing it. It's only than that you'll see if you can or can't do it. Trust me, I know that people can do more than they expect. I mean, who would believe that it's possible to learn 1100 words in one week. ( I didn't believe that I could do that but I did)

#131445 02/10/07 07:18 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Whoa!
Why on earth did you want to learn 1100 words in a week? dizzy

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
#131446 02/10/07 07:28 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Who told you I want???? I had to. Okay, it was me who decided to go to university and study medicine. I can tell you, for the second week in university this was a pretty rough welcome. smile

#131447 02/10/07 07:30 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
You are a brave, brave woman! cool

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131448 02/10/07 07:46 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
And so are you, just jump into the cold water and find out what you are capable of. What anyone of us would write is probably going to disappoint you, because it's not your Lois and Clark they use. That's something I learnt on this boards. I had written a bit of fanfic years ago. It was bad, because I was a teenager and whatever writing skills I have were still developing. I gave up writing fanfic, because I was limited to characters that I didn't create.

Now I know that Lois and Clark might already have a certain character and you have to stick to it to write a (more or less) believable story. But they are your characters as well. Some parts of their personality is your interpretation of them. And that's different with every author.

So try to write and then send your story to a beta-reader. He or she can help you to develop your skills. You'll be surprised how much you can learn in a short time. I don't speak English on a daily basis and I had barely written an English sentence for three years before I started writing on these boards. And now I don't have to look up so much words when I'm writing, and the number of my mistakes is getting smaller.

Come on, Lady Mirth, give it a try.

#131449 02/10/07 09:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yes, Hasini, only you will know all the aspects of the story you want put in. I'm sure you've thought of some lines that would work well in the story or some events that should be included. Write what you've already thought of and see what happens.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#131450 02/10/07 10:37 AM
Blogger
Blogger
This sounds like an interesting story to me. I hope you, Lady Mirth, or somebody writes it.

#131451 02/10/07 09:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'd say give it a shot, Lady Mirth. I mean, what bakasi said is right on. Like I said, DD started as a fic challenge, and even though Dandello wrote an amazing fic on it, it didn't go in the direction I was thinking about (as you can tell, 110000+ words into Darkest Dreams) and it just wasn't *mine*. Trust me when I say it really is satisfying to get out there and say, "This is MY fic. MINE. And people read it, and like it. It is MINE!" It's a major ego-booster, I promise! grumble wink thumbsup laugh Nevertheless, I'm certainly not going anywhere for some time, so don't be afraid for lack of angst from this quarter for a while longer, at least.

As for the pitch forks...you guys come after me with them anyway, so it's kind of an idle threat.

<yawns>

Good night!

SmirkyRaven

#131452 02/10/07 09:58 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
We could bring out DJ's chainsaws.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

#131453 02/10/07 10:24 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
After all this encouragement, I suppose I'd feel pretty small if I didn't at least try . blush
But no promises though. I might post a stand alone vignette first, just to get my feet wet. peep
But until then, the offer still stands! laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

#131454 02/11/07 07:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
OH! This sounds like such a smashing idea! I don't have anything helpful to add and I can't write, but I will be there to read it!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#131455 02/11/07 10:10 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
All right.

#131456 02/11/07 01:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yay! I am glad you decided to give this a shot, I will definately be watching for it. It sounds like a great premise.

Kate laugh

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
#131457 02/11/07 02:18 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think it's really unfair that the gods should inflict fully-formed plot bunnies like this on a person who so obviously can't write them.
Don't believe a single word she says on that account. There were whole sentences and even a couple of paragraphs in the first two parts of Faustian that Hasini flat out wrote. I even asked her if she wanted to co-author on the story but she pulled that "oh, I can't really write" routine on me. I've sometimes wondered how much better the story could have been if she hadn't disappeared on me.
Trust me when I say it really is satisfying to get out there and say, "This is MY fic. MINE. And people read it, and like it. It is MINE!" It's a major ego-booster, I promise!
<giggles> Yeah, it is like that sometimes, isn't it? I just wish the feeling lasted longer.

C'mon, Hasini, just write it already! I, for one, have faith in you. You absolutely can write. clap

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#131458 02/11/07 03:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Woody.

Are you referring to these?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

laugh

You have my vote Hasini. thumbsup Try the pool - I think you'll find the water quite warm. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#131459 02/11/07 04:59 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had to look up the term plot bunny. I'm happy to know now what it is and man is it a cute term.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#131460 02/11/07 06:24 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've posted a very rough first draft up on my LJ. <points at homepage icon> Feel free to comment, if you like. blush

It probably won't make the MBs for another couple of weeks, though. Assuming I find a beta reader. <stares around, meaningfully>

OMG! DJ's unleashed the chainsaws! This is coercion! I'm calling the UN! <cowers under desk>

rotflol

There were whole sentences and even a couple of paragraphs in the first two parts of Faustian that Hasini flat out wrote.
I noticed you'd left them in and did bit of sqeeing in glee! Thanks, Sue!
blush

I even asked her if she wanted to co-author on the story but she pulled that "oh, I can't really write" routine on me. I've sometimes wondered how much better the story could have been if she hadn't disappeared on me.
I was afrad I was trying to turn it into a cross between PG Wodehouse and Harlequin Mills and Boon. (The rejected pile!) I really didn't mean to write that stuff for you, they were meant to be suggestions. Personally, I don't think FB suffered any. You and your fantastic betas obviously did the best job possible!
It's very sweet that you think that though! laugh

C'mon, Hasini, just write it already! I, for one, have faith in you. You absolutely can write.
I'll just have to take it on your authority then! <g>

“Is he dead, Lois?”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard