Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#130950 08/28/06 08:49 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Does anyone ever wonder how our favorite characters would be different if everyone's gender were reversed? Aside from the obvious, of course.

Let's face it; men and women *are* different. Society expects different things from us. We're raised different, and may even be naturally disposed to different patterns of behavior, and different ways of looking at things. How much does gender affect our very personalities?

Would Clark Kent be so easy-going if (s)he had to fend off guys? Would Lois have gotten engaged to Luthor if, traditionally, *(s)he* was supposed to be the one sweeping damsels off their feet?

Or would they all be the same, just with different parts and lower/higher voices?

You tell me. huh

~•~
#130951 08/28/06 09:36 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Fun! If done right, this could be so interesting.

Almost makes me want to try my hand at it...*mentally files idea away*

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#130952 08/28/06 01:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooohhh... Great idea. I'd like to see it!

<giggles...>

Claire Kent becomes Superwoman.

Somebody Lane becomes Mad Dog Lane.

So does that mean Lex Luthor sweeps Ms. Kent off her feet? Or does that mean Mad Dog Lane sweeps Alexa or Lexa Luthor off her feet?

Or does Somebody Lane sweep Superwoman off her feet?

I like this idea. Great concept!!

I'd like to see it.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#130953 08/29/06 03:09 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
After hearing shayne talk about about this in the IRC channel I have to say it has gotten me thinking all day on this one.

I imagine male Lois (Louis as Shayne suggested) would still jump into things head first. I imagine him being a smooth talker who is very good at convincing you of going along with their wild schemes and almost goes into babble mode but not quite. I imagine they would still be agressive but not quite so much as Lois is since they are a man in a mans world... instead of a woman in a mans world proving herself. I still imagine the background of having been jilted by several ladies however and that makes him a bit spooked on love. Maybe Claudette (surelly we could think of a better than than this) had come into his life and made him fall in love with him. He was going to propose only to have her laugh in his face. Maybe we change the story a bit to make it so that Louis was the veteran at the time and Claudette was using him to get experience in reporting and that was why she was so chummy with him. She turns down the proposal and throws it in his face making him skittish on love.

Then we have Claire. I imagine her as being quiet and polite and a bit more aggressive than her make counterpart Clark. She is in this story trying to make her name in reporting. I still think she should cover more of the touchy feely stuff though like Clark always did. She wears her hair in a ponytail and has dark heavy glasses (Think Jill Carroll style http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2006/0601/jill_carroll0110.jpg) and makes her way to the Daily Planet to make a name for herself. I imagine she has the same problems as Clark did proving herself and getting a job though. smile I think she would still deeply care for people though. I see her having a past though where she is also a bit scarred as she isn't very confident in herself because she has always been stronger than most men and this has intimidated them. She tries to assume a shy demure persona with most people to cover up that strength lest anyone find out more of her secret. I imagine her starting off a bit shy around Louis only to come out of her shell as she gets to know him better personally and be a smart *** like Clark was. However, she would always have lots of confidence in her reporting.

I see Perry pairing her and Louis up only to have Louis push her away as she might be trying to ride his coat tails to reporting fame. Eventually Claire's personality starts to win him over and they would settle into a great friendship from there.

I imagine "Superwoman" would give Claire the freedom to be a bit more confident and aware of herself. I can see her beig able to express some of the feelings she has for Louis through this persona and she does so with out feeling like she would be rejected. Instead of being jealous that Louis is infatuated with Superwoman... she becomes upset that she has created such a web of lies that he may not trust her now. She knows that he is okay with her strength but finds herself in a delima to get him to see her for everything she is.

Hmm just rough thoughts on it. I really really wish I could write well enough to do this one.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#130954 08/29/06 05:42 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
That's interesting, I hadn't thought about it that way. What popped into my mind originally was some scenario where they switched bodies.

I imagined a scene where before the body switch they interview with guy X who ignores Lois and only answers Clark's questions. As she flies off the handle, Clark calms her down telling her that what happened wasn't related to her being female. Post body switch they interview the guy again and this time Clark-in-Lois gets pretty much ignored. Thus, Lois gets the 'I told you so' trophy. Ha.

#130955 08/29/06 06:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just love this idea. I can also envision Claire to not be quite as self assured as Clark.

What about Luthor - Lex or Alexa??

And would Claire need to use glasses? Wouldn't a super tight outfit and a wig do the trick, too? Although, glasses should just really be part of it all, shouldn't it?

#130956 08/29/06 07:13 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Luthor would have to be Alexa. I can't imagine Claire being both Superwoman and her normal persona and being fooled by a male Lex.

I would invision Claire with glasses and pulled back hair in her normal persona and in the Superwoman persona no glasses and hair down.

Then again... we could have her costume have a mask. Although I'm pretty fond of this costume:
http://www.superman-v.com/images/supergirl%202.jpg

It pretty much kicks butt.

#130957 08/29/06 08:22 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, my, yes that's a great costume, but I can't imagine sweet Claire bearing her belly. Maybe like this, but no bare abdomen.

I kind of like the idea of Lex fruitlessly trying to win Claire's heart.

I really, really like this idea. I'm thinking maybe I'd even consider writing it. Maybe.

More ideas!!

#130958 08/30/06 03:17 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Now that I think about it, having Lex chase after her might be fun. I could see her going along with it just to bring him down. Of course poor Louis would be extremely jealous about the whole thing. laugh

Also, the original Supergirl suit didn't show the belly, but in the latest comics for her they do. smile

If you write the story, I could probably be persuaded to beta for you and help throw some ideas around. smile

#130959 08/30/06 03:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Years ago, I thought of an idea where Clark, or Lois, gets thrown into a way far parallel by Tempus and end up in a universe where the genders were reversed.

Clara Kent
Louis Lane
Priscilla & Alex White
Jamie Olsen
Kit Grant
Lexa Luthor
Joanna & Martin Kent
Rachel(Ralph)
Claudette
Lance Lang
Samantha Lane & Eli Lane

This universe was a matriarchal society, so the names would still be the same.

I never got past the basics of the story, but I did think that the Clark and Louis would become good friends.

Soulmates does not mean that there has to be a sexual element to it. I thought of it as more like Alan and Mark from Nan Smith's wonderful Terran Underground series or David and Jonathan from the Bible. Two men that were closer than brothers, willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of the other. Ditto for Clara and Lois.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#130960 08/30/06 11:26 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hmm...The Louis & Clark Expidition! goofy

~•~
#130961 08/30/06 01:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think I like the idea of Claire or Clara being a woman in a man's world.

Pitch out some more ideas. I'm really considering doing this.

#130962 08/30/06 05:06 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
For some reason, with all the gender changes, I couldn't see Martha and Jonathan switching roles... I don't know why!

This one's got me thinking, too... smirk

And hee! You know, Clara Kent would probably remind me of that Disney show 'Hannah Montana.' (Shoosh I watch it! Leemee aloooone!) Maybe, like her, Superwoman could wear a blond wig laugh Maybe some contacts, but eh.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#130963 08/30/06 05:56 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, I don't see Martha and Jonathan switching either, except maybe Martha might not ever pose in the nude.

Yeah, maybe a blond wig would be good. Gentlemen seem to like blonds....

Contacts would never work. I remember reading a story (very good author) where one of our heroes wore contacts. They'd never work - how would one use one's heat vision without melting said contacts? I suppose Bernie could come up with something special, but I'd think they'd either diminish the power of the heat vision or if they have a hole in the middle of them the contacts could still be melted. Oh, I can see it - melt the contact and it falls out (wouldn't hurt the hero, you know) and somebody says, "Oh, wow, your eyes are really brown."

I've never heard of Hannah Montana, but hey, I used to watch 'HeMan'. Hehehehe...

Ah, hey, Queen of the Capes, I just re-read your first post. Imagine a premenstral or menstral Ms. Kent up against a bad guy. He'd head for the hills....

#130964 08/30/06 09:13 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
*giggles* I can imagine, somewhere down the road, Clara telling someone about how she stumbled along in the beginning...

"Yeah, I tried contacts in the beginning, and everything worked fine! ...Until I had to use my heat vision, and I had to find a way to explain to the poor lady why I sudden;y had brown eyes instead of Violet... yeah I know, Violet. I was young! They were cool!"

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#130965 08/31/06 12:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This thread reminded me of Sheila Harper's story: Walk in My Shoes web page Lois & Clark fanfic archive - very, very gender bending <g>

(hope I got the link to work smile )

c.

#130966 08/31/06 03:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It works. I'll put it on my list.

#130967 09/02/06 04:03 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
So when are people going to start writing the stories?

I've been talking about this story idea for years but never did anything with it. I think that a lot of traits that are cute in a female Lois wouldn't be nearly attractive in a male- the workaholism, the bruqueness, the abrasiveness.

Some things might be less prominent- as a man in a man's world, Louis wouldn't have to prove himself as much. He might not have quite the same drive.

He might be even more of a risk taker, what with all the testosterone <g>. I see him as being something of a war correspondant, and not the kind that sits in a hotel room and takes stories from the army.

Claire, I think, couldn't be as open as the male Clark has been. She'd have been propositioned many times, and wouldn't be able to pretend to be oblivious like Clark had. She'd be more sophisticated and more subtle.

Anyway, to start things off, I've written a vignette based off a twist on this idea. Role reversal, over in the fanfic section.

Lets see the stories folcs<g>.

#130968 09/02/06 06:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, when I originally posted feedback on your story and asked if you had written the story based on this thread, I mentioned that I was writing a story - then I edited my post and deleted that part. I didn't want you to think I was stepping on your toes or vice versa.

Anyway, I liked your story. It was great. And yes, I'm writing a story. But before I can give it my full attention, I have to finish A New Hero. Just trying to edit the round robin and writing A New Hero at the same time darn near drove me crazy (I'm close enough as it it - hehe).

I so love this idea. This was something new to me (other than the body switch idea). And yes, Lois as Louis or whomever (I doubt I'll use that name.) would not come across as brusque as Lois. But then if 'Louis' had those qualities, he might not be seen the same way. I do like the idea of him having done war journalism. I can imagine an embedded journalist in Iraq or some such.

I don't see Claire as being so oblivious or innocent as Clark would have been. She would be a beautiful woman and even a super beautiful woman could fall charms to a wilely male. I can especially see this happening when she was younger.

I also like the idea of Lex Luthor pursuing Claire endlessly. She will tease him and give him hope in order to bring him down. She is a woman after all and she will use her womanly charms. But in most ways, she will be sweet and trusting.

Mostly what I have now is disjointed notes, but if I can get some little snippet of a story together, I'll post something here. So Shayne, since you like this idea, do you want to be beta on it?

#130969 09/02/06 07:33 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks for the link CC, that's exactly what I was looking for!

alcyone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard