Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130940 08/27/06 10:52 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hey, guys. I promise eventually I'll find the time to *finish* some of my work and post it here for everyone to see, but until then... I'd love to see your takes on this concept.

Here's the idea-- Clark Kent grew up in Kansas, but he seems like such a city man sometimes. I know he's world-traveled and all, but he IS a farmboy at heart.

So why couldn't he really show Lois the natural charm of the Midwest?

While it may seem that he did this in GGGOH, that episode seemed to focus on small-town life and Smallville... No fields of wheat, no super-blue sky, no amazing sunsets... This may sound a bit cheesy (and I do expect a lot of WAFF in whatever results from this), but I'd like to see fics that involves Clark taking Lois out to show her some of the nicer things about growing up in the country.

Some clarifications/other stuff:
-- Can take place at any time after beginning of S2 (this means LL can know secret or not, be in love with CK or not, entirely up to you... I'd just like their relationship to be pretty solidly grounded, which it is once S2 starts).
-- It'd be nice if it was more than a 'friendship' fic... if you must keep it platonic, at least drop some tension in there. devil
--Maturity level of content is entirely open. Do as you please, just put it in the right spot wink

I'm really looking forward to see if anyone takes this on. And if fics like this have been done, and you guys direct me to it, I'll love you forever. Really!

By the way: "Fields of Gold" by Sting is a rather appropriate song for what I'm suggesting.

P.S. I am amazed by the proficiency and dedication of the fans and writers here. As a long-time lurker, I just have to say you all amaze me. ^.^

Oh, it's no problem, I can just-- what? You want to do what?

...No, I just don't think peanut butter is used that way very often...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I think this is a good idea, but I don't know how easy it would be to pull off.

Big city folks might and probably would disagree, but I can tell you that I lived in huge cities but I'm from the country. It's a lot easier for a country girl (or guy) to fit in the big city than it is for a city girl (or guy) to fit in the country. I've seen lots of country folks go to the city and not have a problem one fitting in. But I've also seen big city folks live in the country. They often have problems adjusting. The idea of not having pizza delivery can just blow some of them away.

So having said that, I'm not sure how easy it would be to convince big city girl Lois that the country has a lot of charm. It's hard to convince some big city folks that the country is a wonderful place when a lot of places really do roll up the streets (everything closes)at 5:00 pm.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Mmm, true. But I was hoping that after her initial exposure to Smallville in GGGOH would help in that regard.

But, hey, Clark having to work a bit to get her to appreciate Kansas isn't necessarily a BAD thing. wink

Heck, it could even be a holiday-type fic so long as the emphasis is there. I remember with fondness the point in the comics where Lois & Clark visit Smallville and see fireworks...

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Classicalla:
Well, I think this is a good idea, but I don't know how easy it would be to pull off.

Big city folks might and probably would disagree, but I can tell you that I lived in huge cities but I'm from the country. It's a lot easier for a country girl (or guy) to fit in the big city than it is for a city girl (or guy) to fit in the country. I've seen lots of country folks go to the city and not have a problem one fitting in. But I've also seen big city folks live in the country. They often have problems adjusting. The idea of not having pizza delivery can just blow some of them away.

So having said that, I'm not sure how easy it would be to convince big city girl Lois that the country has a lot of charm. It's hard to convince some big city folks that the country is a wonderful place when a lot of places really do roll up the streets (everything closes)at 5:00 pm.
As a big city girl I completly agree with you. I've been to places where everything closes at 5pm and it freaks me out, any place doesnt have a subway system I find unpleasant. They are very nice to visit but I can only stay there for so long.

P.S. OMG! No pizza delivery! You're right that did blow me away. dizzy

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Alright, after a long time of sitting on it I may actually get off my lurker butt and start writing this little tale. Anyone who would like to take up the challenge, or could inform me of a couple fics with similar elements, would most certainly be welcome and appreciated.

Hmm... no pizza delivery, eh? Sounds like it's time for a good old 'night on the town'...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hard to do when the streets roll up at 5 pm... Well, okay, some places are open till 9 pm...

Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I will certainly keep that in mind. Having been in places where 'the streets roll up', it IS aggravating... but in my experience it's usually possible to find something to do if you're with friends. (I'm workin' on it.)

Top Banana
Top Banana
So why couldn't he really show Lois the natural charm of the Midwest?
Jeff Brogden's A Kansas Fourth Lois and Clark Fanfic
does just that - and from a writer who's a Kansas guy. smile A wonderful story.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'll look forward to seeing what you do, Altarian. And yes, you can find things to do....

Merriwether
Merriwether
I've looked at living outside of the city and some stuff bothered me. Some stuff bothered me when I used to spend summers out at the family cabin. Here's a summary of what I've heard around in my neck of the woods:

- Not being able to just hop out of the house and finding something open. Mind you I grew up in the boonies and it WAS NOT downtown life. I lived in an area that was just south of our downtown, a lively artsy 24/7 area and I really enjoyed knowing that someone was always up and about. At first it irriated me. I never did get used to the constant sound of traffic though.

- Darkness (awesome, but freaks many pple out).

- Having to walk farther to dump your garbage or recycling or having to get your mail.

- Can't pick stuff up like groceries as easily.

- More likely to encounter mud/sand = messy.

- Easier to get snowed in. Where i am the out of towners hate the 'white out' conditions during the winter that spring up from time to time.

- Some complain that there are more bugs out there to get you!

- Taxis may not want to come and get you. Delivery food guys may not be as impressed (unless there is a local place).

Ummm yeah. Hope someone writes something!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard