Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#130749 07/28/06 03:33 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Things I found bitchy about Kidder's Lois. OK, this is dead easy. First, as you pointed out the way she treats Clark. Secondly, and this is my main reason, the bit in Superman II, where Clark's given up his powers just for her, got the beaten up by that guy in the diner, and she admits she was just in love with the Superman and the powers. There are other reasons though, and yes she does treat Clark a lot better in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Thanks, Jensguy for replying. smile

Respectfully (really, honestly, cross my heart etc smile ) i wonder if you'd be willing flesh out your opinions a bit? I'm interested in the *why's* so to speak.

*Why* did you reject my argument that the dorky Clark act cancelled Lois's "bitch" trait? (btw, this doesn't mean I objected to his not telling Lois or anyone else that he was S, but that by so camping up "Clark Kent" he's being duplicitous. He doesn't take Clakr Kent seriously; why should she?)

Also, is Perry White (not sure of the actor in the Reeves movies) equally bitchy for treating dorky Kent the same way?

*Why* is it bitchy to admit that it was Superman she loved - dorky Clark wasn't exactly the answer to a woman's fantasy (a maiden's prayer in old speak laugh ) I didn't interpet her admission as being she loved him for his physical powers, otherwise she would have loved the devil (or Q or whoever) but that she loved the hero in Superman.

Doesn't Superman's mind wipe of Lois at the end of S II show a darkness to his character that is at least on a par with Lois's earlier too blunt honesty in her confession that it was Superman she loved?

About S IV - overall a silly movie, but not in how Lois Lane treated Clark Kent. He's still playing Dorkman (and so he's continuing his duplicitous behaviour), but she has come to love him anyway - her caring for him when she searches for him after he's gone into retreat is touching. In a sense, she rescues him. There, in that scene, we see growth in her character. But, to repeat, rest of the movie is, as you imply ... well... smile

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say - MK's Lois wasn't a saint, but neither was Reeves's Superman (which makes them both more interesting as characters) If you're willing to cut the various versions of CK/S some slack with respect to character flaws, then *why* not MK's Lois too?

Oh, and also that word "bitch" laugh

MetroRhodes, you make me think I ought to be more understanding of poor Jimmy. laugh

c

#130750 07/28/06 05:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I find this whole idea intriguing and can't wait to see the story. For those of you who haven't seen George Reeves' Superman, you are just missing out on so much. L&C is my favorite, by far, but George's Clark is not dorky and his Superman isn't bad either. So for those of you who aren't familiar with George Reeves' Superman, does that mean you missed Bud Larson (aka Jimmy Olson) and Noelle Neil (aka Lois Lane) in the new Superman Returns movie? Surely you didn't miss Bud Larson? He was also in L&C. He played the 'old' Jimmy.

Nancy - Fan of everything Superman

P.S. I wasn't even born when George Reeves died but I've seen all the shows in reruns. I believe they are also available on DVD.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#130751 07/28/06 08:10 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I regret that I used the word "sexist", because that word is extremely loaded with negative feelings and at the same time, it's very fuzzy at the edges - i.e., you don't know what it really means. I shouldn't have used it.

I do want to say that I dislike the idea that Lois, any Lois, should be regarded as "optional" to any story about Superman. All right: I'm not saying that Lois *must* be a part of each and every Superman story ever told, but I do mean that if you tell a story that is supposed to be a sort of introduction, a sort of "who's this guy?" kind of story, then I'll *hate* it if it's going to be optional to talk about Superman's, any Superman's, relationship with Lois Lane. The fact that "Superman II" made Margot Kidder optional to Christopher Reeve's Superman was what turned me off the very idea of Superman for ten years. And to me, the very, very best thing about LNC:TNAOS was that Lois was as essential as Superman to that TV show.

I, too, would actually like to see various Supermen come together to solve a problem of some kind. But I would so, so much want every Lois to be a part of the story, too.

Ann

#130752 07/28/06 09:13 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by MetroRhodes:
Oh really Jensguy? Tempus? You think so? It couldn't possibly, maybe be... oh I don't know, let's see who else could I pin dimenision jumping on...

MXYZPTLK?

Or it could be Tempus... who knows? laugh

I just had to throw that out there - I need to keep you guessing. wink Although if you want to be at all surprised, then quit guessing. goofy

Actually MXYZPTLK is quite prominent in the Superman myth when you look at the comics. He also appears in Smallville. So I wouldn't think of him as strictly a L&C villain. laugh

Tempus, on the other hand, is the only villain that is specific to L&C that comes to mind immediately. wink So I'm with Jensguy, I'm guessing you are referring to Tempus. Either way - I think your idea sounds great so far and I'm looking forward to hopefully reading it! thumbsup

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130753 07/28/06 09:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Agreed about the George Reeves' version ... I *loved* to watch it on reruns growing up! clap Christopher Reeve got me officially hooked on Superman as a kid - but it wasn't long after that I started watching EVERYTHING I could that related to Superman. Even started with the comic books, though I never followed them religiously. But as for TV and films, that included The Adventures of Superman, the cartoons, all four Reeve films, L&C, Smallville ... only thing I skipped was the Superboy series. wink

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130754 07/28/06 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, I'll answer you all quickly. All this disscussion, I'll be very disapointed if nothing comes from it.

ccmalo: I like the idea of the same challenge with different characters. It could be really interesting. I do agree with most of your ideas about the movie characters, except Lois does admit it was the powers, not the man, that she loved.

Metro: The Mxyzplk idea is genius. But you said it was a villian unique to L&C. Mxy is in the comics too, so he's not purely a L&C villian. I did think of him but then thought it must be Tempus for that reason.

Classicalla: Having not seen the 50's series, I missed them all. Unfortunately. I'll have to look them up and then watch my Superman Returns DVD again.

TOC: I shouldn't have said that Loises are optional, but just to be less focused on.

Also just as a sidenote, any cameos by other people from the DCU would be great. Such as the main Clark (Dean Cain's Version) picking up Jack Nicolson's Joker for example.

Also an interesting question. Would the Kryptonite from one world effect other Supermen?

#130755 07/28/06 09:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also an interesting question. Would the Kryptonite from one world effect other Supermen?
Oooh, Jensguy! Interesting question indeed. I hadn't ever thought about that. In another story I wrote, Remember Me, I had Tempus use Kryptonite from the alt-universe on *our* Superman. I hadn't really thought about that. Hmmm.

I'll be anxious to see what responses you get on that from the others but I'll keep that in the back of my mind. :-)

-- MR

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130756 07/28/06 01:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro:)

#130757 07/31/06 09:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, Jensguy and whoever else didn't know that in Superman Returns:
  • Noelle Neil played the rich old lady that Lex Luthor married
  • Bud Larson played the bartender at the bar where Jimmy and Clark shared a drink

Where ever in the world did you get a Superman Returns DVD?

Wouldn't kyryptonite be kryptonite regardless of which universe one was in? Otherwise, you might be afraid to even drink the water - H2O2 (peroxide) instead of H2O (water) wouldn't be very tasty.... laugh

#130758 08/01/06 12:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Classicalla. I did know that (about the characters) but only because I'd seen the "Up In The Sky" Superman documentary.

I'm wondering if that might be the DVD Jensguy was referring to. It sort of centered around Superman Returns.

Anyway, pooh, go ruin a plot line in my story why don't ya. Good thing I haven't started writing it yet. laugh No, you bring up a good point though. I guess when it comes to chemistry a kryptonite rock is still a kryptonite rock.

-- MR

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130759 08/01/06 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Classicalla.

Oh, and the DVD is of the actual movie. I got it from this bloke I know. It's a 100% perfect copy. I'd offer to do copies for people, but as I understand it, that's illegal.

So I won't.

Did I mention my e-mail address is skaboy366@hotmail.com ?

#130760 08/01/06 06:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So MetroRhodes, I have an idea that might help your story. How about the alt Clark is affected by red or purple or orange or whatever color of kryptonite in the same way our dear Clark is affected by green kryptonite? And the green kryptonite from the Alt Clark's universe had no effect or a different effect on our Clark? And who is to say you couldn't have a alt universe where our laws of physics don't work? Different color spectrum. Water is poison. Green sky. Blue trees...

Did that make any sense?

#130761 08/02/06 12:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm. Very interesting Classicalla. The only problem is that I'm using characters from movies we've all seen, and the trees are all green and the skies are all blue.

But I like your idea of different Kryptonite. Maybe I could introduce a new color (or do research in the comics on another color).

But yeah, that's sort of the idea I had about the Kryptonite affecting the Supermen differently. They can all be killed by green Kryptonite, but the green stuff from one universe doen't kill a Superman from another universe. Maybe it makes them a little dizzy or sick or something but isn't lethal.

I don't know. I'll keep toying around with it. This is the hardest story I've tried to write yet to come up with a decent plot line...

It'll probably take me a while. My muse is going to have to really be inspired. laugh

Later -- MR

#130762 08/02/06 01:46 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I like the idea that Kryptonite from different universes should affect the different Superman differently. If I were you, I would stick with the basic idea of green Kryptonite. But why not make subtle changes to the shade of green? I really, really like the idea of turquoise Kryptonite. And how about yellowish lime-green Kryptonite? Maybe in one universe the Kryptonite could be basically green, but shimmering with muti-colored opalescence. Then of course you need the bright, unmerciful, neon green Kryptonite.

I *love* the idea that all the Supermen could be unpredictably affected and somehow weakened by the Kryptonite that's not from their own universe. (If it were me, I would, of course, have each Superman affected by one alien Kryptonite substance in such a way that he realized how unforgivable it was that he had been ignoring "his own" Lois as much as he had - presumably the LnC Superman wouldn't have this reaction, though... laugh )

Ann

#130763 08/02/06 03:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha ha! Ann you are too much!

Green colored truth serum huh? Intriguing. laugh

These ideas are all wonderful. Surely my muse will get inspired soon. I just lack that "climactic" plot line/ending. I usually don't start writing a fic without one. But maybe if I just start writing, it will come to me along the way.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

#130764 08/02/06 02:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add LOL - but I was just wondering if your muse needs any extra nudging MetroRhodes? wink

If by chance it does ... I'm gonna nag just a bit to see if I can help ya along!! thumbsup

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130765 08/02/06 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alright, alright, go ahead, say it.....

#130766 08/03/06 03:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Personally, I'd go with Mxy. As much as I like Tempus, he doesn't have the abilities that Mxy has!

Additionally, I don't think that Kryptonite from so dissimilar universes would affect other supermen. Something about a quantum signature issue...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#130767 08/03/06 03:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hee hee!

Okay, okay, my muse grudgingly came by last night. She said I'm wearing her out, by the way, and when is she going to get a break? I told her no time soon.

She imparted me with a few ideas and got me started off.

So there you have it. It has begun...

#130768 08/03/06 08:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by MetroRhodes:
Hee hee!

Okay, okay, my muse grudgingly came by last night. She said I'm wearing her out, by the way, and when is she going to get a break? I told her no time soon.

She imparted me with a few ideas and got me started off.

So there you have it. It has begun...
YAY!! party

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard