Paul

I'm sorry that I'm so late here.
This is absolutely fabulous. clap

Tricia cool

HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
hey, don't apologize for being late. it's never too late for comments. besides, this is great! every time i think that's it, someone else drops by! this folder is the gift that keeps on giving. laugh

thanks, tricia! i'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hi Paul!
Just found time to finish this.

I admit that, at times, it was difficult for me to follow what exactly was happening (sorry, I was really sleepy... not because of your story, of course!!), but I still liked it very much.

I especially loved Beta's comments. Her (?) first appearance had me ROTFLOLling, thinking 'how inspired!! Definitely something Paul would do'.

Beautiful story. Keep writing wink
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Paul,

Thoroughly enjoyed this! I loved the way that Beta 'fixed' the epiosde, and all the Beta's comments were spot on. Your story had me rotflol , so thank you very much. The Mary Sue realisation at the end was perfect! wink

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
wow. i decided to hold off for a couple of days before responding to anna, just in case someone else dropped by. was just thinking last night that it had gotten a bit longer than i'd meant and that i should post, but i was kinda tired, so i left it for today. so, i was just coming over to do that, and here's a new post from loriel. cool! smile good timing. smile

anyway, thanks for posting anna and lauriel. smile i'm really glad to hear you both enjoyed the story so much. smile

as for the question of beta's gender, i dunno. i kinda thought of beta as female, probably because most, if not all, of the betas i've worked with have been female. still, i made sure to leave it ambiguous. there are male betas out there. heck, i've been one myself. so, even tho i'm leaning towards "female," i prefer to stay neutral.

in any case, while i'm writing, i'll mention that i still haven't gotten around to editing this one for the archive. since i'm planning to hold it for a jan upload anyway, i'm not too concerned. i am planning to get to it soon-ish, tho. we'll see how it goes. i'll be in florida for the next couple weeks, so i'm not sure how much i'll really be at the keys (no pun intended, for once).

thanks again for posting! i've said it before, and i'll say it again: this thread is the gift that keeps on giving. laugh all for a story i wasn't too sure about in the first place, too. cool

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Paul, I'm so glad this comments thread got pushed to the top. It reminded me that I hadn't had a chance to read this yet.

Oh my... smile1

If you're not uploading to the Archives until January, does that mean you won't be making it eligible for this year's Kerths?

Terrific job. notworthy

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
hi kathy. smile thanks for posting! smile i'm glad you caught up with the story, and that you enjoyed it so much. smile always great to hear. smile

as for your question about the kerths... no, it won't be eligible this year. a january upload will make it eligible for next year. thanks for asking, though. blush

in case you're wondering why, it's because of archive upload rate.

there's usually a flood of submissions at the end of the year. for one thing, it seems like more stories are written in the late fall... weather getting colder, people staying inside, kids back at school, whatever other factors i'm not coming up with. there are also usually a bunch of xmas stories. add in the last-minute submissions of older stories (writers taking stock at the end of the year and realizing they haven't sent in a story or two as well as writers rushing for the kerth deadline). so, things are just busy. the GEs have to deal with the flood of stories, and the readers have to try to keep up with all the new stories on the boards plus the flood hitting the archives each week.

by january, however, things generally taper off. there's xmas/new year's break, so writing slows down, and all the xmas stories and last-minute submissions have been taken care of. january archive uploads can be kind of sparse, sometimes only 2 or 3 stories a week.

they tend to pick up again in feb, with valentine's day and whatever stories were finished in january after the break.

so, when i write a story late in the year, i usually hold it for january. it means a little less work for the busy GEs in dec, a little more on the page for the readers during the january lull, and a little more attention for the story itself since it has fewer stories being uploaded with it. as for the kerths, last year was the first time i was even nominated. besides, it'll be eligible for the following year. if it's good enough, hopefully it'll still stand out in your memory when you look through the eligibles list a year later (and hopefully you'll take the time to refresh your memory before you nominate).

so, there's my long-winded answer to a question you didn't really ask. oh well. :rolleyes:

anyway, i should get going. i have to leave early tomorrow morning, and i still haven't packed... <sigh>
thanks again for posting, kathy! smile1

Paul

Top Banana
Top Banana
Paul,

I am in awe of the way your brain works. How did you ever come up with this title? I love these types of plays on words, and you really are a master at it. Very well done.

The story itself is hilarious, and wickedly clever.

"When my Grandfather died, he gave them to me to hold for the next worthy one. I thought it would be a student of mine... Jzuk Mao... but he was seduced by evil and greed. My last action before I left for America with my grandchildren was to have him arrested."

"Gee. Someone who knows you have the bracelets, knows how to use them, is greedy and evil, and has cause to resent you. I wonder if he has anything to do with all this..."

For once, everyone ignored Beta.
rotflol

personally, i'm most fond of the ending, so if you just finished plugging along through the beginning, i want you to know that i think it gets better later.
Well, I liked it right from the beginning, but I do have to admit the ending is pretty good. All together a fun story to read.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
hi vicki. thanks for posting! smile

i'm glad you enjoyed the title. you're the first to comment on it. getting a triple pun (my first, i think) was a happy accident, but i'm rather proud of it, none the less. wink i'm not sure where it came from. it just kinda popped to mind and seemed perfect.

(for those of you wondering, the title can be read either as an introduction of the character "beta" to the episode "chi of steel" or as a notation that this is the "beta" version of that episode. also, by serendipitous happenstance, "chi" and "beta" are both greek letters, although "chi" is pronounced differently.)

thanks also for your comments on the story in general. smile the reactions to this story have been so much better than i expected, and it's so great to still be getting comments on it. smile

oh, btw, the story is currently being GEd, so look for it soon at an archive near you.

Paul

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard