Print Thread
#128138 10/27/03 11:04 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
If you want to comment on ANYTHING, this is what this folder is for smile

Also, if you feel like it, you can check this shortened version of the original myth:

- Psyche and Eros - (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Psyche (Soul) was a princess somewhere in Greece. Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty, was jealous of her because she was very pretty, so she was holding men back from asking to marry her.

When Psyche's father asked for a prophecy about what to do to make her happy, they told him to leave her on the top of a hill. He did, and then an air breeze brought Psyche to a beautiful palace. She lived there with two servants all day, and at the night someone came to her bed and slept by her side. He had told her never to try and find out who he was, and she didn't.

However, when her sisters visited her, they got all jealous and convinced her to light a lamp and see who was sleeping beside her, secretly hoping that he'd get upset with her and kick her out. So, she did light a lamp, and found out that it was Eros (Love), son of Aphrodite, minor God that made people fall in love. But, as Psyche was holding the lamp, a drop of oil fell on his body. He woke up and, upset, he left the house. She tried to grab his foot, but eventually she got tired and fell on the floor, without anything happening to her. She tried to kill herself by falling in a river, but the water pulled her away.

After a while, she decided to find Aphrodite and ask her to tell Eros to come back to her. But Aphrodite was still jealous and decided to humiliate Psyche. She gave her a huge pile of grains and asked her to arrange them by the end of the day. It would be impossible for Psyche to do it, but some ants helped her do it.

In the meantime, Eros escaped and asked the other Gods' help to make his mother calm down and let him marry Psyche. Zeus, the King of the Gods, talked to Aphrodite, and so Psyche and Eros got married. Since then, Eros and Psyche (remember what their names mean in Greek) always live together. smile

Hope you liked my choice. I read this myth for the first time when I was 5, and have loved it since.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#128139 10/27/03 12:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
aww - very sweet Anna
smile

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi
#128140 10/27/03 12:16 PM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
That is a wonderful story. smile

I vaguely recall this myth, but the names were of the Roman gods and not the Greek ones. That is, Aphrodite was Venus, and Eros was Cupid. I now realise that this orginated as a Greek myth. smile

Well done.

Just for your interest here; we (meclone2 and I) are starting to learn a bit of Greek for our course, which is "Greek and Latin in Scientific Termiology". Just started with the Greek alphabet today. smile

twins
metwin1

#128141 10/27/03 02:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job Anna. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#128142 10/27/03 02:33 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
thumbsup thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#128143 10/27/03 10:03 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Anna

A wonderful story! thumbsup

You did a great job incorporating Lois & Clark with the myth.

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed it immensely. clap

Tricia cool

#128144 10/28/03 01:47 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Wonderful story Anna!! laugh

Jose

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#128145 10/28/03 11:03 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL! H.G. Wells to the rescue! laugh

This was very nice, Anna. thumbsup I really enjoyed it.

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#128146 10/28/03 02:33 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very nice, Anna. You did a very good job combining L&C with the original myth.

I got an especially big kick out of "Jon-Than". LOL.

Kathy

#128147 10/28/03 02:56 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Very nice, Anna. smile

Just a short note for you and your BR though.

The past tense for "lie" (to be or to stay at rest in a horizontal position) is "lay". The past tense for "lie" (to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive) is "lied".

She took her clothes off, blew the lamp that was providing her light out and lied on the bed.
I didn't think that Lois telling an untruth on her bed was what you had in mind with that sentence. wink The same applies to the other sentences where lied was used. It is a commonly made mistake. I checked a dictionary to make sure I didn't remember it wrongly myself.

Yours was a very nice story. laugh I guess I should hurry up and think of a folk story tie-in in response to my own challenge huh?

--meclone2--

#128148 10/29/03 02:23 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anna,
wonderful and sweet
merry

#128149 10/29/03 02:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Anna! smile

I'm glad you wrote this because you know how I love Greek Mythology laugh That's a very cute and sweet story, thanks for sharing it first with me.

And meclone2 thanks for telling us about the lay thing...sometimes I get confused but I won't next time laugh

Keep writing Anna!

Raquel smile

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard