rotflol
Way to get Saskia into the fic, I loved it

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#127249 06/12/03 07:15 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL, very cute! I like it!

The only thing I'd suggest would be to change the characters around -- it should be Jimmy and Clark ganging up on Lois! After all, we know from "Honeymoon in Metropolis" that she'll do anything to win ... and coming up with obscure foreign names (er, sorry, Sas, I didn't mean that the way it sounded <g>) is exactly the sort of thing she'd do, LOL.

Cute cameo story!

Kathy smile

#127250 06/12/03 07:16 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
rotflol This is funny! I never knew you could have so much with just my name. And I never even thought it was so funny to use in fics. wink

Now, I did a little research. You mentioned my name is Dutch. You're right, it's a common name here. But officially it's not Dutch. It's Ancient Germanic. Look at what I found:

"This girl's name is used in Dutch. Its source is sachs, an Ancient Germanic word meaning "The Saxon people." Saskia van Uijlenburgh was the wife of 17th century Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn. Use of her name in the Netherlands can be traced to her; however, the derivation of Saskia from the name of the Saxon people is uncertain.
A correspondent from Great Britain who bears this name suggests that it could be of Slavic origin, in which case it might be related to Sasha, a short form of Alexandra."

I found this on a website: http://tools.oxygen.com/babynamer/ It's cool to see all sorts of names.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#127251 06/12/03 07:20 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, this is just adorable! What a great idea.

I have to admit though that finding an obscure name on the internet in order to win seems like much more a Lois move than a Clark move. Lois is the supercompetitive one, and Clark just "plays to play." And I can picture Clark and Jimmy ganging up to try to beat Mad Dog Lane. smile

But regardless, I thought this was adorable. Very fun!

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#127252 06/12/03 10:36 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Great story Anna! I loved it, nice concept. Oh, that was an interesting site Saskia. Unfortunately it was wrong about MY name, but I'm sure it helps other people and it got my sister's right. The site says that my name is another form of Alicia, but in fact my name is the German form of Alice. I know from relatives there, books, and my German class. Oh well, it's no big deal, it just really bugs me! mad The site also doesn't have most of my favorites. frown Anyway, now that I've completely gone off topic, I'll return to it. Terific story, these are really interesting.

#127253 06/12/03 11:58 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Anna

A great idea! smile1
I enjoyed it immensely.

Tricia cool

#127254 06/13/03 10:31 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks for your comments.

I'd like to defend myself a little here smile :

I chose Clark using the name Saskia because of two reasons:

a) I think that *he* is the one we expect to win all Scrabble games... smile

b) If you noticed, he didn't *search* for the name. He just knew it and used it. Besides, he speaks Dutch smile

So this is my opinion.

Do you think I'm wrong? Maybe I could write another version of the story, now that school is over smile

OK I'm waiting for more opinions on the issue.

See you soon and thanks again.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#127255 06/13/03 11:58 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, I don't think anyone was trying to say that you were wrong, simply that it wasn't quite what we expected, given what we'd seen on the show.

a) I think that *he* is the one we expect to win all Scrabble games...
He might be the one you expect to win, but I definitely expect Lois to win. Not because she's smarter, but because she's the one who *cares* about winning. Everytime we saw them play any kind of game - be it a board game or some sort of verbal sparring - Lois was the one who went for the kill, while Clark just seemed to be having fun.

b) If you noticed, he didn't *search* for the name. He just knew it and used it. Besides, he speaks Dutch
Well, we didn't see him search for it, but I was under the impression that he had been searching for obscure words/names at some point in the past. Otherwise I can't imagine what he was doing here. <G>

But that said, I really did enjoy the story, and whether you change the characters or not, I still think it's cute. It's your story, so the possibilityof changing it is totally up to you.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#127256 06/14/03 04:45 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Anna! smile1

This is a really funny story. What a way to put Saskia on it wink Just lovely.

Well done thumbsup

Raquel smile

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
#127257 06/15/03 03:35 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Anna - thanks for sharing this cute and fun little cameo response. clap clap

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127258 06/15/03 09:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anna,
great idea
well done
merry

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard