Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
rotflol rotflol

Now, Hatman, you made the question plenty of people had when they saw the pilot.

So, how, exactly, were you planning to get back down?"
Lois answer: "Flying of course." As soon she said this, she beagan to float slightly and in a flash she disappeared from Clark's view.

Jose peep (Hidding from rotten tomatoes, or any other thing the gentle audience decide to throw.)

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Whoops - seems I was more asleep at the time than I thought - because I got hold of the wrong end of the stick entirely. goofy

LabRat smile (Yes, the fact that it was titled Lois's Explanation might have been a clue indeed... wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL Paul ... *the* unanswered question of the show!

"So, how, exactly, were you planning to get back down?"

"Er, yes, well ... you see, I had that all planned out. Really. No, I did ... I mean, I even left a message for my sister to feed my fish. This was, after all, the story of the year ... major Kerth material! So, you know, if I had to stay up there for six months -- or however long until they got another ship up there -- then I would have just been able to get that much more material. 'Life on the Space Station'. It would have been a series! Hey, forget Kerth; we'd be talking Pulitzer here!"

"I ... see."

"Well, that ... or I just hadn't thought that far ahead."

smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<snicker>

Excellent question wink It's possible to come up with an answer that doesn't strain credibility *too* much, but the show didn't give us much to work with wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Hm... I'm reviewing the pilot for another fic I wanna do - wonder if I could either incorporate this idea into that fic, or write a separate fic around it. Any *real* authors out there wanna try it, too?

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
Any *real* authors out there wanna try it, too?
Well, I just gave my challenge response above. Guess I'm not a *real* author ...

LOL!

Kathy (who thinks these challenges are a ton of fun -- I'm so glad we added a special folder for them. smile )

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I don't know, Kathy. I thought your response was hillarious rotflol

Ok here's mine - even though I am probably not a real author:

"I planned this perfectly. I always knew that a man in blue tights was going to rescue me. You see, I'm psychic."

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, kathy. liked your response. and you're definitely a real author in my book. laugh

i like yours, too, alicia, but there's still a problem... they're up in space. he flies out with her in his arms, she'll be breathing vacuum (not to mention some other messy problems with being out in space without sufficient protection... though i suppose you could maybe make an argument for his aura of invulnerability. maybe). unless someone wants to loan her a spare space suit...

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The short answer is...

"Well, I figured that they'd want to get rid of me once they knew I was there, so they'd send me back down on the next crew exchange flight."

That, I think, would be typical Lois reasoning. Of course, it shows blissful ignorance of the reality of spaceflight, even at the advanced level shown in the series.

It also assumes that the lab module she's on gets to Prometheus, and that will be less likely since the ship is carrying an extra passenger. I would hope that the EPRAD guys have enough reserve fuel and manoeuvring propellant to cope with the unexpected additional mass, but I'd want to see the figures to be certain. Most definitely, the planned trajectory will be off by a small amount, and that can have big effects in space -- even LEO.

And then there's the additional food, water and oxygen she's consuming while she's on the station, not to mention the person who will have to be bumped from the return trip in order for her to get down, and the food, etc., that person will consume while waiting to get back to Earth, and the mess Lois has made of the crew schedule, with all its implications for the research program... And then there's the would-be astronaut who won't get into space at all due to Lois' presence -- oh, they're going to hate her at EPRAD!

Someone should give Lois a copy of Algys Budry's (? -- I think; also sp?) The Cold Equations and insist she read it; she'll think twice before doing the stowaway act again. Or she would if she didn't have Clark to rely on... wink

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
Merriwether
Merriwether
Someone should give Lois a copy of Algys Budry's (? -- I think; also sp?) The Cold Equations and insist she read it; she'll think twice before doing the stowaway act again.
Wow, Phil ... I've never read the book, but I do know that Dr. Smith messed things up in this exact same way for the Robinsons in "Lost In Space" ... does that count?

rotflol

Kathy (who edited the topic header to reflect that fact that challenge responses (as well as feedback) should go here ... keep them coming, people! smile )

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've never read the book, but I do know that Dr Smith messed things up in this exact same way for the Robinsons in "Lost In Space"... does that count?
Not really, Kathy. wink As much as I enjoy Jonathan Harris' work, "Dr" Smith was the main reason I loathed LIS -- that and the Space Pirates, Gunslingers, Valkyries, etc., etc. :rolleyes: Of course, Smith's effect on the trajectory of the Jupiter 2 was one of the plot devices from the early days of the show, when they were still trying to keep it vaguely realistic scientifically -- which didn't last.

On a more serious note, The Cold Equations is a short story, and a very good one -- but not at all a happy one. I won't spoil it for anyone who may care to read it, except to say that the title has nothing to do with temperature; "cold" is used in the sense of merciless, pitiless, inflexible -- and thereby deadly. I shall say no more, other than that the story may make you see Lois' stowaway idea in a whole new light...

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by KathyB:
Well, I just gave my challenge response above. Guess I'm not a *real* author ...
Oh no no, Kathy, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to imply that any of you who had tried your hands at this mini challenge aren't *real* authors. Sorry!

notworthy

What I mean is, I guess, I would love to see some vignettes or longer stories that deal with this theme - what in heck Lois was thinking, stowing away on the Messenger like that. And how she was planning on getting out of space, etc. Sorry, sorry, open mouth, insert foot. Not implying that *anyone* isn't a real author, except perhaps yours truly...

Melisma ( blush under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Features Writer
Features Writer
Cute Paul
merry

Blogger
Blogger
Someone should give Lois a copy of Algys Budry's (? -- I think; also sp?) The Cold Equations and insist she read it; she'll think twice before doing the stowaway act again. Or she would if she didn't have Clark to rely on...
The Cold Equations was written by Tom Godwin (although there are discussions of where the idea actually came from). Last month Baen Publishing released a collection of Godwin's short stories under the title "The Cold Equations." It is a very chilling story, and it's freshly published for everyone to check out. The retail price is $14.00, but those familiar with Baen's WebScription program can get a softcopy version for $4.00 (all figures U.S. currency).

Paul, nice story.

WAC

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard