Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126817 04/25/03 02:16 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I was thinking about how lots of FoLCs don't like STGTTWNK (or at least don't like the first 30 minutes of it wink ), but I haven't seen or heard of any rewrites of that episode. I may have just missed them/it, and if that's the case, someone please point them out. laugh

At any rate, I'm posting a challenge for people to rewrite that episode. You have to assume that everything that happened up to that point really did happen (the argh, NK, etc) and you have to leave it open for the events Soul Mates to occur afterwards. Other than that, get them married any way you can (what a chore, I know), preferably with an episodic feel to the story (ie A-plot, B-plot, humor, etc).

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with. Good luck!

~Anna

#126818 04/25/03 03:04 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great Idea!

You are right, the only Fanfic I found on this episode is "The Electrified Bride" and I don't think we want to go there wink

#126819 04/25/03 04:48 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Anna,

You are an evil, evil woman. evil

I read this and my entire plans for the evening were put on hold because of it. I blame you entirely.

Anyway, thanks for the idea. laugh

To see what you've created: click this text.

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
#126820 04/25/03 05:07 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
You are an evil, evil woman.
Who? Me? huh No, I am an innocent angel. Just like Elena.

Thanks for answering the challenge, Elle. Like I said on the comments thread, I really like your response so far and I can't wait to see where you go with it.

Anyone else want to give it a try too?

~Anna

#126821 04/26/03 05:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice challenge, Anna! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#126822 04/26/03 05:35 AM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I loathe Soul Mates
I know ya do, Wendy. I wondered if saying that would keep you from responding, but I love Soul Mates, so I couldn't have people making that ep impossible. laugh

~Anna

#126823 04/26/03 11:00 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And Wendy, where might we FIND Rebuilding the Wreckage?

I can live with no Soul Mates if you can fix STGTTWNK. (I'm assuming you don't object to them being Soulmates but to the curse extravaganza?)

#126824 04/26/03 11:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Trenna, it's on the archive, but I warn you: I meant it when I said it's not very good! It's probably my least liked fic, IMO, that is! And it's not a rewrite of STG... just a different wedding fic. smile

As for Soul Mates, I hated the ep because it was just such a silly plot and the period pieces were so badly done - appalling accents, stupid costumes, unconvincing 'curse' story. And, of course, with Clark being from another planet, how could he have past souls on Earth? smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#126825 04/26/03 12:35 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
the period pieces were so badly done - appalling accents, stupid costumes, unconvincing 'curse' story.
I'm not sure I want to believe that they'd have made it anyway even without the struggles.
*tries valiantly to hold back laughter* laugh

Wendy, I can imagine you wanting to shake the scriptwriters/producers of L&C when the episode aired. smile I had a similar view with regards to their ending up together being a forgone conclusion. I don't really dislike the episode, because I didn't mind the inaccuracies quite so much. Then again, I know next to nothing about medieval Europe. wink

--meclone2 smile1 --

#126826 04/26/03 12:52 PM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Wendy said:
And, of course, with Clark being from another planet, how could he have past souls on Earth?
Actually, ShivaSaavik and I have an idea about that one. We've brainstormed about it a couple times, but as of now we have written the grand total of...nothing. goofy For what I remember, either Fate or Destiny screwed up and the other one gets the job of making sure that the soulmates get hooked up. When we finally get it written (as Lois said, "How long can you hold your breath?" <g>), it'll show up here.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#126827 04/26/03 09:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wendy, when you put it that way I think it's my liking soulmates that doesn't make any sense. goofy Like you, I thought the curse plot was silly and I do not believe that Lois and Clark are destined to be together no matter what. And it's very true that even if I did believe in reincarnation (which I don't), it wouldn't make much sense for Clark's soul to be hanging out on Earth when he comes from another planet. confused

I can't comment on the accents since I only ever saw it in French, so there were no accents at all. I have the episode in English, but never got around to watching it. What I like about it is the little witty lines linking it back to Superman's persona, like the Lone Rider spinning and then blaming it on old habits, or Lois telling Tempus to "join the club" when he growls he's been fooled by a mere mask. That, plus all the sweet little bits (ride on horseback then smoochie for example) make up for the silly plot for me. And so I keep very good memories Soulmates. But it's also true I haven't watched it in years. laugh

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#126828 04/27/03 02:46 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good grief - you know I'd completely forgotten till your post, Wendy, of how miffed I was the first time I watched Soul Mates - for that very same reason. I was so mad that they seemed to be saying that all those years counted for nothing and that Clark could just have easily sat back in his chair at the Planet and done nothing to win Lois and the result would have been the same anyway.

Guess I must have gotten over it at some point! goofy I have a vague memory of this coming up at some point in the past and reading something someone had posted which made me think of that aspect in a whole different light so that it didn't bother me any more. But what the heck that theory would have been I have no idea. Lost in the mists of time that one.

Anyway, these days I see it as a collection of moments, like all the others, so I enjoy it enormously. Although won't say a lot of it doesn't get fast forwarded. <g> Or that I wouldn't have been just as happy - if not more so - to have had a nice, proper honeymoon episode in Hawaii. But all the fanfic over the years that cover that one means I don't hold it against the writers any more for not giving us one of those. wink

And LOL! Hadn't even thought of the past souls on Earth angle. Bethy, your story sounds absolutely fascinating and I'm hoping you'll have it finished soon.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#126829 04/27/03 08:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, two of my current wips involve soulmates. hopefully, if they ever get written, they'll be unique enough to be worth reading, even if you don't like the whole soulmates thing.

the thing about souls, though, is that, imo, they're not tied to any one thing. the series established that clark's soul will always have a secret identity, and that it will always find lois's soul. other than that, there's a lot of room to play with. i won't give away the twists i'm planning on, but i don't see why you should think that a soul has to stick to a certain planet or even species. many cultures that beleive in reincarnation say that you can come back as just about anything from an ant on up. even if you don't believe that animals have souls, i think you'd accept that if humans do, then so do kryptonians. so, why can't a human soul be in a kryptonian body? and why limit the soul to a specific area of the "material plane"? if there's reincarnation, then there has to be a "spiritual plane" where souls go when they're not in the bodies (unless you believe that upon the death of the body, the soul immediately seeks out a baby about to be born...)

anyway, as for the ep itself, i didn't like it at first, but i developed a taste for it. smile

i'm not sure what i beleive in this world, when it comes to souls, but since it's been made cannon in l&c, i accept it in their world.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#126830 04/27/03 02:02 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I can see the point that the ep is silly and the accents are terrible, but I think the reason why I like it so much is that I look at it as a parody. I see it as being meant to be silly (whether it actually was or not wink ) and I enjoy watching the silliness of it.

As for them being destined to be together no matter what, I never thought that it negated all of the stuff they had to go through to get to be together. They were meant for each other, but they weren't neccesarily going to be together even if they just sat back and didn't work at it. They complemented each other perfectly and TPTB allowed for them to meet in each past life, but TPTB didn't make it all roses for them. As Lois said, "Together, but eternally teased." They were meant to be together, but they still had to struggle to get that priviledge.

That's my $0.02.

~Anna (who is hoping that the second paragraph makes sense)

#126831 04/28/03 04:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I too found Soul Mates to be among the worst episodes of the series. It ranks right up there with Ghosts!

(oh, this gives me an idea for another thread...)

As for the concept of soulmates I ditto what Wendy said. No relationship should be a foregone conclusion.

That and it doesn't fit in the Christian World View.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#126832 04/28/03 07:52 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
In RL I don't believe in reincarnation, either, James, but then again, in RL I don't believe in aliens or men who can fly, either. wink I am willing to suspend belief if the author/show does a good enough job presenting their fictive world.

As to Soulmates, if I analyze the plot/reasoning/etc, I'd have to go with Wendy -- icky!!! But there are enough funny/sweet moments in it that I still love it. (Like Labby said on one of the polls about remembering moments rather than episodes -- if you do it that way, you can love all the eps! What a great deal!)

Oh, and Labby, I'll offer you a deal -- when you post SDB, Shiva and I will post ours! /me ducks and runs and wonders whether she should panic and start writing yet... help

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#126833 04/28/03 09:27 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, and Labby, I'll offer you a deal -- when you post SDB, Shiva and I will post ours!
I never realised you could be so cruel and heartless, Bethy.

laugh

LabRat smile (still, with Epiphany almost done and dusted (woohoo!!!) this does give me lots of incentive to get cracking on SDB...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard