OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here.

Corrina.

#100189 04/19/14 09:07 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! I'm first to post!! smile1

Clever way to get Clark thinking about his secret and how he intends/ed to withhold it from Lois... How will this wrap up in just two little parts?

As usual, absolutely enjoyed the WAFF. smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#100190 04/19/14 10:47 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fantastic. Clark was superb. It was so clear that he could/would/feared going through this same thing himself in the future.

Poor Shane and Jane. Shane, I'm sure, will get over this. But 5 hours is not enough time. For this to happen on the Wedding Day... He can't get past this so quickly. A few weeks or even and few days maybe. He's not going to be ready for the wedding.

Possibly ....

Na .....

Something I've been wondering from the very start...

Na, it's stupid.

What if there WILL be a wedding? But not Shane and Jane?

Anyway. Loved how Lois saw through him. I hope he tells her. But how you can get the revelation, the wedding and happy ever after into 2 parts I don't know.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#100191 04/20/14 12:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by KatherineKent:

Possibly ....

Na .....

Something I've been wondering from the very start...

Na, it's stupid.

What if there WILL be a wedding? But not Shane and Jane?
rotflol You're not alone! I've been secretly wondering this as well! laugh

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#100192 04/20/14 06:31 AM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
I'm so behind on leaving FDK. help , but I've been reading this amazing story when I get a short break from RL.

Poor Jane, no wonder she didn't know how to reveal her secret. Such a great way to make Clark realize his own situation with Lois. Looking forward to your solution to his problem. clap

KateB
#100193 04/20/14 06:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
OK, show of hands ... who wants to punch Shane in the mouth? wink

Very nicely done, Corrina, setting up a parallel situation to Clark's big secret and hashing out the "when should it be revealed?" discussion in detail, and right in front of Lois to boot. I have a feeling that her "Clark, what is your big secret?" is more rhetorical ("What am I going to find out about you someday that's going to derail this amazing relationship?") more than Lois actually sussing out from Clark's intense questioning that he knows Jane's side of things all too well, but you never know. I was wondering when he was going to tell her about his abilities in this story - it would be hard to fly in every weekend without her getting suspicious - but the Shane/Jane situation brings up the issue in a creative and surprising way.

I have to agree with the above post that there may be too much here to figure out in one morning. With his high level of anger (Dude, did you ever think that she was afraid you would act exactly like you are NOW?? And you just proved her right to be afraid??), I'm not sure Jane should marry him today, even if he has a change of heart and agrees to show up at the church. Yes, she kept something big from him and they need to work that out. But he also needs to earn her trust back after reacting the way he did.

I know I'm biased, but I think that Shane's betrayal is just as bad as Jane's here. Not only did he refuse to talk to her about it and work out his feelings *with her*, but he told her secret to several other people. I know he had to tell the secret to explain himself, but the fact remains that by lashing out with such vehemence and anger, he proved himself to be selfishly thinking more of himself than of the woman he supposedly loves. He hasn't said one word about how awful and scary it must have been for Jane to grow up the way she did, in and out of foster homes, always wondering if her family was going to come back to hurt her, always afraid someone would find out her secret. (Heh, yeah, not biased at all. lol ) All he's thinking about right now is how that might affect *him* as her husband.

Too bad Mad Dog Lane has been so softened by meeting her Prince Charming that she's turned all mushy inside. We need her to tell Jane to kick Shane to the curb and make *him* beg forgiveness from *her*. wink

Plus without a wedding, L&C will have more time to hang out together ... but skip the movie, Clark. Apparently now you know that you need to have a really, really, REALLY long talk with Lois before she goes back to Metropolis. wink

Kathy

#100194 04/20/14 10:10 AM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
KathyB clap

KateB
#100195 04/20/14 10:41 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

Imagine being part of a crime family - no, I can't. And I doubt that anyone who wasn't on the inside of one could. No wonder Jane/Margaret didn't want to tell Shane the truth.

When should she have told him? Well, it isn't quite like Clark's secret. After all, she hasn't been using her experience to commit crimes. Clark, on the other hand, is using his powers, albeit secretly. My opinion? She should have accepted his proposal contingent on his hearing the truth of her past.

But maybe Shane would have freaked out then, too. Maybe she knew that he wanted to marry her but wanted some kind of societal recognition too. Maybe she feared that he would reject her because of what her parents did. Maybe she believed that a long engagement would allow him to get to know her well enough and build enough trust in her that he'd be rocked by this news but not knocked completely off balance.

I have to admit, though, that Lois' question to Clark is about the best WAFFy cliffhanger I've ever read. It appears that she's figured out that he has a secret, too, one which is potentially just as devastating to a permanent relationship as Jane's secret. Will he tell her? What will he tell her? Will he tell her everything? Will she pull a Shane or will she just pull away to think about it? And if she does think about it, will she decide that it's too big a secret to help him keep?

Two parallel story tracks. Two similar devastating secrets. Two trusting, loving, and skittish people who don't believe they can trust the person each loves because a secret that changes nothing was kept but which hammers that Ming vase of trust with a pile driver. Two fragile, scared people who carry secrets bigger than a single pair of shoulders should bear.

What a wonderful tale you've woven, Corrina. So tender, so touching, so heartfelt, and so very dangerous. I wanted to read the rest of it before - now I really want to read the rest!

A random thought: This could be a Tank ending, except instead of everybody dying, Clark could marry Jane and Lois could marry Shane. That way, all the fragile egos won't have to carry those horrible secrets. That way, all the ones who seek to be trusted have someone to trust in reverse.

Surely you wouldn't do that to us? Would you? confused

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#100196 04/20/14 11:39 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aha! There's the Female Hawk twist! There's usually one somewhere in your stories. clap

I love the parallels between Jane's secret and Clark's secret. He can totally understand what Jane's going through and extrapolate it into his own life. What would have happened if Jane's back story had actually been Lois's? What if she had the super big secret, she was keeping from Clark? Hmmmm.

It seemed to me that both Lois and Clark took Jane's side of things, which bodes well for Clark revealing his secret to Lois. They've known each other for less than 24 hours, though. It's clear that they both care about each other and want *more* of their relationship, but I can see why Clark would be hesitant to reveal his secret so soon in their relationship, especially to such a terrific investigative reporter. I'm not surprised that Lois nosed out that Clark had a secret, the way he defended Jane so adamantly as if had considered this issue prior to walking into Shane's house.

I wonder if Jane's friendship, idol-worship, of Lois was, in a way, a plea for help. She no longer wanted to carry the burden of this secret and maybe the best way for it to be revealed would be is Lois figured it out. Or maybe it has to do with one of the reasons canon Clark is drawn to Lois, that if Jane/Clark can be friends with such a great reporter who doesn't have an inkling about who she/he really is, then it means her/his secret is all the more safe.

I agree with KathyB:
I have to agree with the above post that there may be too much here to figure out in one morning. With his high level of anger (Dude, did you ever think that she was afraid you would act exactly like you are NOW?? And you just proved her right to be afraid??), I'm not sure Jane should marry him today, even if he has a change of heart and agrees to show up at the church. Yes, she kept something big from him and they need to work that out. But he also needs to earn her trust back after reacting the way he did.

I know I'm biased, but I think that Shane's betrayal is just as bad as Jane's here. Not only did he refuse to talk to her about it and work out his feelings *with her*, but he told her secret to several other people. I know he had to tell the secret to explain himself, but the fact remains that by lashing out with such vehemence and anger, he proved himself to be selfishly thinking more of himself than of the woman he supposedly loves. He hasn't said one word about how awful and scary it must have been for Jane to grow up the way she did, in and out of foster homes, always wondering if her family was going to come back to hurt her, always afraid someone would find out her secret. (Heh, yeah, not biased at all. [Lol] ) All he's thinking about right now is how that might affect *him* as her husband.
Would Jane still want to marry the man who spilled her secret to everyone? I agree that she should have told Shane earlier, but being that she's embarrassed by her past and afraid that he might reject her for something she can't control (her past and family), I can see why she didn't tell him... or kept postponing it. In a way, what if her secret had been different. What if Jane's secret was that she had been a victim of sexual child abuse? Would Shane have reacted the same way because she hadn't told him? *IS* her secret any less damaging to their current relationship? If Shane loves her, truly loves her, who she was at age 5 shouldn't matter to him. I am a bit surprised that Jane still considers her criminal family her family, though. I'm assuming that she hasn't had any contact with them, especially since they've threatened her due to her testimony, for over 20 years.

If WHO Jane's family is was so important to Shane, the fact that he hadn't met any of Jane's family prior to their wedding should have been a red flag long before this weekend. Jane would have been better off telling Shane that she no longer has contact with her birth family, that she has disowned them and them her when she went into foster-care, and would tell him the truth about them, when she was ready, instead of avoiding the subject altogether. Although, being that he's a journalist, that would have been enough of a hint for him to start looking into her past, which only proves that he has serious trust issues. The fact of the matter is that Jane DID tell Shane about her family and her horrid past before the wedding, even if it wasn't in the way either of them wished.

If they do decide to continue with their relationship, I believe they need some premarital counseling before they walk down the aisle in order to trust one another again.

I don't know what it means for Lois and Clark's relationship, though, that trust-issue Lois has discovered that Clark Kent, the man of her dreams, has some deep dark secret. But I can't wait to find out!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#100197 04/20/14 07:26 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to agree with VirginiaR that after the way Shane reacted, it might not be a great idea for them to get married right away. They need to work things out.

Great story! I love that things go relatively smoothly for Lois and Clark for once. wink

#100198 04/21/14 07:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by KateB:
KathyB clap
Absolutely!! Great post KathyB!

Corrina, What gave you the most trouble with this part? It seemed to flow nicely. The end or the pace of Shane/Clark conversation or something entirely else?

Great going and I can't wait until the next part.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

#100199 04/21/14 03:11 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Poor Jane. Shane should have at least been willing to talk to Jane about her secret.

I'm looking forward to the next part to see what happens with Shane and Jane and how Clark responds to Lois' question.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
#100200 04/21/14 06:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
frown Poor Jane and Shane! They are devastated!

Interesting way to show the similitudes between CK and Jane, by the way. Clark definitely has been able to understand her in almost every feeling.

And I enjoy your hability to end the chapter, leaving us -the readers- with a face like this shock

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
#100201 04/21/14 07:05 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--did not see either things happening...Jane being from a crime family, and potential 'super secrets' coming into play conversationally this soon btw Lois and Clark hyper

I agree with what Kathy B stated--I don't think they should marry today (even if Shane changes his mind). Yes, Jane hid a part of herself from Shane--but what happened to her was so long ago in her childhood...IMO, it's a gray area--there isn't a black and white answer for what she should have done in her situation, when she should have told anyone anything. Overall, yeah, she probably shouldn't have waited till this close to the wedding--and I can see Shane questioning how well he knows her--but Shane didn't react well to the situation. He told others her biggest secret, but most importantly, he didn't give her the benefit of the doubt--he didn't talk things through with her before making up his mind that things were over. He owed his 'bride to be' a lot more...

And I agree with what Virginia stated about Shane's history with knowledge of Jane's family. If family is so important to Shane, you'd think that he would have questioned never having met her family before...

Really looking forward to the next chapter. Clark has got to tell her his secret--because after being so involved with this wedding (about a 'secret') there really isn't any going back for him.

Great part, Corrina smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 04/29/14 12:40 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
MM
How will this wrap up in just two little parts?

It was never going to be wrapped up in two *little* parts! Now I'm thinking I need 3 parts. I spent ages this morning trying to find good places for chapter breaks.

Victoria

I'm glad the parallels were clear.

In a story called 'The Wedding' you want a wedding? Really?

huh

Kate Thanks for taking the time to leave FDK.

Kathy

I have a feeling that her "Clark, what is your big secret?" is more rhetorical ("What am I going to find out about you someday that's going to derail this amazing relationship?") more than Lois actually sussing out from Clark's intense questioning that he knows Jane's side of things all too well, but you never know.

Could be.

Plus without a wedding, L&C will have more time to hang out together ... but skip the movie, Clark. Apparently now you know that you need to have a really, really, REALLY long talk with Lois before she goes back to Metropolis.

No movies in this story cool

Terry

Great questions, Terry. It's amazing that there are so many revelation stories and so many different ways to tell the secret and write the reaction.

Two parallel story tracks. Two similar devastating secrets. Two trusting, loving, and skittish people who don't believe they can trust the person each loves because a secret that changes nothing was kept but which hammers that Ming vase of trust with a pile driver. Two fragile, scared people who carry secrets bigger than a single pair of shoulders should bear.

clap

Jane and Clark? Shane and Lois? Sounds good to me!!

Virginia

I wonder if Jane's friendship, idol-worship, of Lois was, in a way, a plea for help.

More of Jane later.

Debbie

relatively smoothly

lol

Mike

Corrina, What gave you the most trouble with this part? It seemed to flow nicely. The end or the pace of Shane/Clark conversation or something entirely else?

When Lois and Clark enter Shane's house, their relationship is about to change, even though they don't know it. My problem was making sure everything was how I wanted it in their relationship before moving onto the next stage of the story. When I tried to write the first half of this part, I realised that the previous part didn't get the job done, so I went back and re-wrote it several times.

Lady L

Maybe S&J will get a happy ending. Or not. wink

chelo I'm glad the parallels worked. Clark could see Jane's side so clearly, he forgot (super-reporter) Lois was watching him!!

Laura

And I agree with what Virginia stated about Shane's history with knowledge of Jane's family. If family is so important to Shane, you'd think that he would have questioned never having met her family before...

I think he would have asked about them. Like Clark, Jane probably became very good as evading topics she didn't want to talk about.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Again, I'm sorry for the delay. Partly it was due to being unable to decide whether I should split the rest of the story into 2 or 3. Also, the final scene is proving difficult because its mood doesn't line up with my mood at present.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard