OP Offline
Kerth
This is the part that caused all the problems. smile1

Thanks for continuing to read.

Corrina.

#100089 04/11/14 07:29 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What's happened between Shane and Jane? What has Shane learned that made him believe that Jane isn't who he thought she was? I'm a bit surprised that Lois didn't want to go straight to Jane and try to figure out what it was that Shane learned about Jane's past.

None of the good cares is open yet, so the obvious place was the park.
I think you meant "cafes" here.

Shane and Jane would be all right. A solution would be found. The wedding would probably go ahead, and this story would be told to their children as a tiny, even humorous, glitch in an otherwise perfect day.
Wow, Lois's perception on marriage has changed so drastically since she meant Clark.

He slowly stood. "I'm so sorry, Lois," he said. "I can't believe I let Belinda talk me into abandoning our date."
But Belinda didn't. He was hesitant until Lois told him he should go.

"That's better than worrying that I've blown my only chance with you."

His apprehension glimmered from behind his glasses, curling around her heart and melting more of its crusty edges. "You haven't blown anything," she said.

He lifted his hand, ran it through his hair and left it perched at the back of his neck. "Lois …" She'd meant her words to be reassuring, but it was clear they hadn't had the intended effect.
It took several readings to figure out HOW Clark could have taken her words poorly. Then, I realized he thought she was saying THIS wasn't anything to blow up. mecry No wonder Clark is freaking.

Clark shook his head. "I was trying to … I hoped … but the first thing comes along, and I …" He grimaced. "I really wanted you to know how important this is to me."
He doesn't want her to know that now?

"Is that why you told me to go to and speak with Shane?" Clark asked. "So our date can be over with?"

"No!" Lois shuddered through a long breath, calming her rampaging heart. "No. If I didn't want to be with you, I would just say so."

"You did."
I'm sorry, Clark. WHEN did she say this?

Lois had said she was afraid of being vulnerable, but she'd rarely felt as vulnerable as Clark looked now. It was as if he'd placed his heart in her hands and ceded all control of it to her. "I'm confused, and I'm scared," she said.

"Lois, I can't promise that I won't do something stupid," Clark said.
You mean like so totally misinterpret everything she's ever said? /checked that box/

"It will save time. We can go from Shane's to the place with sensational coffee. Or we can continue our picnic. There's plenty of food left."
Perhaps they can find a quiet corner of the hotel and finish their picnic there. I'm sure that coffee place won't be open by then. wink

She snuggled into the soft sweater as his arms enclosed her.

It felt like … He felt like …

Home.

He felt like home.

He felt like the place she had sought and never found in work or stories or busyness or success or bad relationships with unworthy men.

He felt like the answer to every lonely cry from her heart.

He felt like he was hers.

Now. In this moment.

And for a whole lifetime of moments in the future.
Awwwwww.

Interesting turnabout to having Clark be the one freaking out about their chances for a relationship and Lois being the calm, reasonable one.

Can't wait to find out what Shane learned about Jane! Post again soon.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#100090 04/12/14 12:14 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Belinda should have stuck around until Clark left. Lois is far too distracting to him. Or she should have removed the distraction and taken Lois with her. Leaving those two alone together just leads to distraction.

I'm looking forward to the next part and finding out what is happening with the wedding.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
#100091 04/12/14 11:55 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yea, New Part!!

Originally posted by VirginiaR:

Interesting turnabout to having Clark be the one freaking out about their chances for a relationship and Lois being the calm, reasonable one.
[/QB]
This is what I like the most about this story. But wait, Corrina can change that in a flash. Especially with Lois. This can't be an L&C WAFFY fic without Lois freaking out at least one more time...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

#100092 04/13/14 03:16 AM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
Yay, new part!

#100093 04/14/14 04:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"The wedding's off," she announced, pushing the hood of her coat from her head and wiping her face with her sleeve. "Shane says he won't marry Jane."
WHAT? Well, this is awkward - calling off the ceremony on the morning of the wedding! What could it be?

#100094 04/15/14 12:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The WAFFY bits are SOOO good! *sigh*

I wonder what's going on with Shane... and how can Clark be the one to fix it?

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#100095 04/15/14 06:08 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another great part, Corrina thumbsup

Lois had said she was afraid of being vulnerable, but she'd rarely felt as vulnerable as Clark looked now. It was as if he'd placed his heart in her hands and ceded all control of it to her. "I'm confused, and I'm scared," she said.

"Lois, I can't promise that I won't do something stupid," Clark said. "But I can promise that your happiness will always be important to me."
Nice and honest conversation...after the confusion btw them.

His words drifted over her, loosening tightly bound shackles. She rummaged through her inner commotion, looking for jewels of truth. "I can't make any sense out of what I'm feeling, but …" She moved closer to him. "But I'm drawn to you, Clark, and I can't imagine getting on a plane tomorrow and going back to Metropolis and forgetting you."
hyper

"Ten past seven."

"I'll call before eight o'clock," he promised.

"Des Moines time?" she asked.

He grinned at that. "Metropolis time."
I loved Clark's 'I'll call before eight o'clock'--nice, prompt...yeah, she won't be waiting long for the phone call blush . Phone numbers/addresses have been exchanged--woo hoo! clap

He felt like the answer to every lonely cry from her heart.

He felt like he was hers.

Now. In this moment.

And for a whole lifetime of moments in the future.

Lois regretted every one of her former relationships. Every single one festered like a lesion on her scarred and hardened heart. But, as she stood enfolded in Clark Kent's arms, the realisation came that if she turned her back on this chance - this man - her regret at her lack of courage would far, far outweigh her mass of regrets at her past lack of discernment.
I really enjoy that Lois is tuned into how special this is and is realizing that even though she is scared, this--Clark--is worth it clap

Can not wait to see how things develop further with the wedding--and with Lois and Clark's relationship laugh

Wonderful part, Corrina...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#100096 04/16/14 06:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've already told you privately how much I love this story, but I'll come here and say it publicly. It's well-written, waffy, intriguing, and it keeps me wanting more... thumbsup

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#100097 04/19/14 11:36 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Bumping this to the top so you know that I'm DYING over here. What is going on with Shaaaaayne? (Me, whine? Never.)

Not that I'm stalking the boards every. single. day. waiting for part 7 or anything like that. No, not at all. Take your time, really. You should be waking up about now, so feel free to get that first cup of coffee. What's a few more minutes among friends?

Even DYING friends who are DESPERATE to find out what happens next.

Ahem. wink

Kathy

#100098 04/19/14 01:13 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lovely to hear from you Kathy (and everyone else, too.) You're right, it's breakfast time for me. However, you're going to have to be patient just a little longer as I'm off to church. And Kid 2 is home for Easter, so we might have plans this afternoon.

However, posting the next part is at the TOP of my 'to do' list. I've been editing the final part, adding in some bits that the BRs suggested after they read part 8. Ultimately, you'll get a longer, and hopefully more satisfying, story.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Easter, however you might celebrate it.

Corrina.

#100099 04/21/14 03:36 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Virginia

Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I'm sorry, Clark. WHEN did she say this?

Part 2 ...

"I don't date," she told him with crisp finality. "Ever."
Also from Part 2 ...

"I don't believe in love," she said flatly.

"You don't think there can be a 'happily ever after'?"

"I think 'happily ever after' is nothing more than something to stick on the end of the story when the writer has realised that the readers are within one flowery line of gagging on the unrelenting sentimentality."

"I think love is beautiful," Clark said. "Shane is always smiling, and Jane -"

"Of course, he's smiling now," Lois cut in. "But what about in five years' time when they're trying to juggle a home, a couple of kids, and two jobs, and neither can remember why they ever wanted to be married in the first place?"

"Some marriages are like that," Clark conceded, "but I don't think it has to be that way."

"But that's the point," Lois insisted. "There are no guarantees of forever, and without forever, it's an ultimately futile exercise. Futile. Expensive. Painful. Depressing."

"I would gladly risk it all for a woman I loved."
OK, she didn't specifically say she didn't want to be with him, but she described love as 'futile, expensive, painful, and depressing'.

Originally posted by VirginaR
You mean like so totally misinterpret everything she's ever said? /checked that box/
Actually, he isn't misinterpreting her now so much as remembering what she told him just a few hours ago and trying to figure out how her actions/words now relate to what she said then. (I realise it was weeks ago for readers, but it was only last night for Clark.) It would be pretty arrogant and unClark-like to simply assume that because Lois has met him, she's changed all her views on love.

In working through her own demons, Lois has been sending Clark a lot of mixed messages - I don't date, I don't believe in love, let's have breakfast together, sit closer to me, kiss me, let's finish our date early to try to save a wedding I was scathing about.

Clark's just trying to get some clarity.

Lady L

Leaving those two alone together just leads to distraction.
Yep. That's all part of the fun.

Mike

Lois? Freaking out? Surely you can't be serious! smile1 that you're enjoying the WAFF.

Laura You give great FDK, Laura.

I'd like to respond to a couple of things you said, but that would involve spoilers.

Thanks Vicki. I've told you privately that you're an amazing BR. Love the way you improve my stories.

Kathy Sorry you were DYING! And no, I've never known you to whine. wink

Just so you know, here's the plan.

1. Finish editing the final part. (This is more likely to happen if I can convince myself to stop tweaking Part 8.)

2. Send Part 9 to the BRs.

3. Do a final edit on Part 8.

4. Post Part 8.

I completely suck at estimates, but I'll try to post Part 8 by Saturday and Part 9 the middle of next week.

Thanks to everyone for your response to my story.

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Help! Both Chapter 6 and the comments link to the FDK page. I lost Chapter 6 and need to go back to read it!
confused
Artemis
see, I did a gremlin!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Artemis, try this link.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sorry about the wrong link, Artemis. I have fixed it.

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great! Thanks. Great story.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard