OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ouch! Poor Clark! Poor Lois! clap You really brought it alive.

Am I mistaken or did Herb's involvement cause Clark to be shot and Lois to become a killer? dizzy Is that *really* an improvement from canon? Couldn't Lois still be arrested for Involuntary Manslaughter? I know it was in defense of Clark, but still... I don't know if that counts for self-defense, but since Trask would've killed her along with the Kents and Clark, it probably does. Is it worth going through that to justify their relationship starting sooner?

I would have liked to see Lois do more, instead of just hanging back. Couldn't she have released the Kents or something more proactive? Tied up Trask when Clark went to release his folks? Killing Trask almost seems like a little too much a little too late. If she had acted earlier, such an outcome would have been unnecessary. Gee, thanks, Herb.

Throughout reading this part I felt like there was something missing. I'm not sure what. A change in Clark's motivations and actions due to his change in relationship with Lois perhaps. He's acting *exactly* the same as in canon and I don't think he would. Couldn't Clark have done something else, so that Trask wouldn't have found out his secret? Doesn't Clark have an extra reason (Lois's safety as his fiancee) to keep Superman's identity secret?

Since Sherman didn't do anything to help Lois escape as she did in canon, why is Lois helping her avoid prosecution? confused Sherman may have had a good reason to do what she was doing, but she still did it... she still left Lois tied up, didn't help Lois contact the Sheriff, and never turned against Trask or B39. (In your story, Herb took over her helpful role in Lois's escape.) In the end, Sherman should still be held accountable for her own actions as an accessory to Trask's crimes. What if the other B39 soldiers / agents also have sob stories about Trask blackmailing or threatening them into doing what they did? Should they also be excused from punishment?

Also, where was Jimmy's reaction to Clark being shot and Lois claiming that they were married? The first we hear of him, he's going straight to work helping Rachel photograph the crime scene without seeming any notice of or care what happened to his friends. He doesn't acknowledge them or what happened to them at all during this whole scene. It seems a bit cold and uber-professional for Jimmy.

Herb better have a darn good explanation for interfering. He's quickly losing favor as a good guy here. Also, aren't the Kents and Lois a little blase` about this stranger popping in and out of their lives to supposedly help, and knowing all about Clark's secret? That should have raised lots of red flags before this point, especially with Lois (who has seen him more than the others). If it were Mike, I could understand their laissez faire attitude, because as guardian angel he exudes that, but H.G. Wells? I'm hoping Lois will show her typical anger streak at him for his lack of real assistance with Trask.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Ouch! Poor Clark! Poor Lois! clap You really brought it alive.

Thank you! Working with AnnieB on Panem has stretched my fight scene muscles and I thought I would bring that to bear here.

Am I mistaken or did Herb's involvement cause Clark to be shot and Lois to become a killer? dizzy Is that *really* an improvement from canon? Couldn't Lois still be arrested for Involuntary Manslaughter? I know it was in defense of Clark, but still... I don't know if that counts for self-defense, but since Trask would've killed her along with the Kents and Clark, it probably does. Is it worth going through that to justify their relationship starting sooner?

Yes, Clark was shot, however, through Lois’ intervention it wasn’t a mortal wound. With Rachel MIA there was no one there to shoot Trask to keep him from pulling the trigger on that derringer. In the episode, it was Rachel that killed Trask, deliberately. Lois did it accidentally. Afterward it was determined that the circumstances were such that it was abundantly obvious that Trask had a weapon and was about to use it on Lois as he had already tried to use it on Clark. Lois acted in his defense as well as those in the shed and herself. It was clearly self-defense.

I would have liked to see Lois do more, instead of just hanging back. Couldn't she have released the Kents or something more proactive? Tied up Trask when Clark went to release his folks? Killing Trask almost seems like a little too much a little too late. If she had acted earlier, such an outcome would have been unnecessary. Gee, thanks, Herb.

In that, Lois really had no choice. Putting herself in harm’s way unnecessarily would not help Clark and in fact Trask could have used her against Clark. Even if, as was stated, Trask was beaten, he was still dangerous as evidenced by later events. He did have the derringer and he could have taken Lois hostage, easily. If she had come out in the open and tried to tie up Trask he could have turned the tables on her. Lois had to hang back so that she wasn’t a liability instead of a help. At that point Trask didn’t even know she was there. He had his back turned when she came out in the open and took the Kryptonite away. Clark also didn’t know she was there. He hadn’t seen her. All he knew was that the Kryptonite was there and then suddenly it wasn’t. He was on the brink of passing out.

Throughout reading this part I felt like there was something missing. I'm not sure what. A change in Clark's motivations and actions due to his change in relationship with Lois perhaps. He's acting *exactly* the same as in canon and I don't think he would. Couldn't Clark have done something else, so that Trask wouldn't have found out his secret? Doesn't Clark have an extra reason (Lois's safety as his fiancee) to keep Superman's identity secret?

Clark had to sublimate those feelings. As far as he knew Lois was at Irig’s. The immediate concern was his parents. He tried to bluff Trask and put him off the scent when he claimed to be SM while vulnerable. He was counting on Trask being convinced that he was lying. When Trask struck the match to ignite the gasoline, all options were removed and he had to act. If he had let on to Trask the changed relationship with Lois, what would stop Trask from summoning Lois and killing her right there in front of Clark as an aider and abettor? Better to leave her out of it and safely at the Irig farm.

Since Sherman didn't do anything to help Lois escape as she did in canon, why is Lois helping her avoid prosecution? confused Sherman may have had a good reason to do what she was doing, but she still did it... she still left Lois tied up, didn't help Lois contact the Sheriff, and never turned against Trask or B39. (In your story, Herb took over her helpful role in Lois's escape.) In the end, Sherman should still be held accountable for her own actions as an accessory to Trask's crimes. What if the other B39 soldiers / agents also have sob stories about Trask blackmailing or threatening them into doing what they did? Should they also be excused from punishment?

In their previous interactions with Trask, Sherman hadn’t been there. It had been clear that Trask had just brought her on board and Lois believed her story.

Also, where was Jimmy's reaction to Clark being shot and Lois claiming that they were married? The first we hear of him, he's going straight to work helping Rachel photograph the crime scene without seeming any notice of or care what happened to his friends. He doesn't acknowledge them or what happened to them at all during this whole scene. It seems a bit cold and uber-professional for Jimmy.

It was just that Rachel kept him so busy that he didn’t have a chance and he really did want to do a good job. Visions of sugar plum promotions dancing in his head.

Herb better have a darn good explanation for interfering. He's quickly losing favor as a good guy here. Also, aren't the Kents and Lois a little blase` about this stranger popping in and out of their lives to supposedly help, and knowing all about Clark's secret? That should have raised lots of red flags before this point, especially with Lois (who has seen him more than the others). If it were Mike, I could understand their laissez faire attitude, because as guardian angel he exudes that, but H.G. Wells? I'm hoping Lois will show her typical anger streak at him for his lack of real assistance with Trask.

You have to admit, a lot has been happening in a short time. Who has had time to ask questions, let alone answer them.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everything 'seemed' to play pretty close to the episode except for this Lois killing Trask accidently. That is a major twist on the story.

[/QUOTE]
From where Lois was kneeling on the ground, she spoke up, the anger she still felt came out in her voice as she said, "He shot my husband and I lost it. I gave him a flying kick and he fell. I didn't know that was there. It was an accident."
My husband? I know they were 'married' due to an old law, but where's the license?

as always your accuracy with firearms and CSI procedures were right on point.

[QUOTE] "That, my dear Miss Lane is, as they say, ‘a long story'. I suggest that we all get comfortable."

Since when are any of Herb's stories short?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Morgana:
Everything 'seemed' to play pretty close to the episode except for this Lois killing Trask accidently. That is a major twist on the story.
Clark needed back-up and Rachel was MIA. What better choice? thumbsup

"That, my dear Miss Lane is, as they say, ‘a long story'. I suggest that we all get comfortable."

Since when are any of Herb's stories short?
Let’s just hope that his explanation is satisfactory. peep

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great descriptions of the fighting. I could see it happening in my mind's eye.

It was a bit surprising how Lois ended the conflict, but realistic. The tines of a hay fork can definitely do some damage.

From where Lois was kneeling on the ground, she spoke up, the anger she still felt came out in her voice as she said, "He shot my husband and I lost it. I gave him a flying kick and he fell. I didn't know that was there. It was an accident."

Rachel was stunned, Out of everything Lois had said, she latched on to one of Lois’s statements and blurted out, "Husband?!?!?"
A man is dead, but the first thing she focuses on is the fact that Lois and Clark are married. Real professional, sheriff. Of course, if she was a villain, she might use the bit about Trask's death to try to get Lois out of the way.

The little man said, "I suggest that we bring out some lawn furniture and sit in the sun so that Mr. Kent can heal."

Lois addressed him, "How do you know so much about us?"

"That, my dear Miss Lane is, as they say, ‘a long story'. I suggest that we all get comfortable."
I can't wait to read it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Annie B.:
Great descriptions of the fighting. I could see it happening in my mind's eye.

It was a bit surprising how Lois ended the conflict, but realistic. The tines of a hay fork can definitely do some damage.
Thank you! Working with you on the fight scenes in Panem helped prepare me for this. clap

The little man said, "I suggest that we bring out some lawn furniture and sit in the sun so that Mr. Kent can heal."

Lois addressed him, "How do you know so much about us?"

I can't wait to read it.
Between part 9 and the Epilogue which is part 10 I think you will have all of the explanation you will need. evil

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard