Originally posted by AmyPrime:
Dr. Wellwood's disappearance is suspicious. The question is whether it's related to Lois or Clark.

How many people live in each district? I'm guessing it's North America, and it seems to have been severely depopulated, but it also seems like everyone in District 9 gathers in one place for the reaping, which is awfully small.
Dr. Wellwood's disappearance may be related to Lois or Clark, or both, or neither (maybe he's just off on a bender after filling out death certificates for 23 children). Keep reading--the answer will be revealed eventually.

As to the populations of each district--the population of North America (Panem consists of portions of the United States, Mexico, and Canada) is significantly reduced from what it is now (the current estimated total population of those three countries is roughly 470 million people, with the U.S. having the most and Canada the fewest). The population of each district varies--District 12 is the smallest, with about 8,000 people, while District 11 is apparently the largest--in Catching Fire, Katniss is amazed at large District 11 is. Some fans have tried calculating the population of Panem, theorizing that the largest district (District 11) would have about 32,000 people, meaning low population density but a lot of land (which makes sense, since it's an agricultural district). District 9, another agricultural district (it produces grain), would probably have an overall population of maybe 24,000 (harsher climate, and fewer people needed to grow and harvest grain as opposed to fruits and vegetables). 24,000 people can fit in one semi-small place if they cooperate (for comparison, 500,000 people managed to fit into 600 acres during the Woodstock festival in 1969, so 24,000 could fit into a considerably smaller space).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland