Missing Lois - TOC

A taste of Chapter 7, Part 9...

In the elevator down, Clark didn’t speak, trying to keep his anger in check.

“I’m sorry, Clark.” Lucy smirked. “I couldn’t resist. You know how my mouth sometimes moves faster than my brain.”

Clark glanced at his girlfriend, but only shook his head.

“I’m sorry, Mayson, for giving away your wonderful gift…” Lucy started, before Clark glared at her in earnest. She swallowed, realizing what he was really angry about. “Oh.”

“Don’t be angry with her, Clark,” Mayson murmured, setting her arm on Clark’s. “She thought I knew. I should have known better than to bring a baby gift to you at the office. I’m sorry.”

Clark kissed her cheek. “It was very thoughtful of you, Mayson. Thank you. I really did love it.” Lara wasn’t his daughter, he wanted to add, but for some reason it felt like a lie. “I’m sorry, we’ve got to bolt, because we have an appointment.”

“You’re welcome to come…”

“No, Lucy,” Clark interrupted her with a glare. “I apologize, Mayson. But this isn’t a good time.”

Mayson held up a hand. “I understand. Lucy probably wouldn’t want me within a mile of her anyway.”

He sighed. They would be lucky if Kal’s Lucy even noticed Mayson’s presence. It had been a week since she had spoken to him or even allowed him in her room.

“Keep in touch, you guys. I’m sorry, again.” Mayson left with a wave of her hand.

Clark waved until she turned the corner. He grabbed his Lois’s arm and pulled her into the alley. “Are you out of your mind? How could you tell her?”

Lois swallowed. “You had told her the truth about Kal and Lucy, I thought you had mentioned that as well.”

“I haven’t told a single person here about the baby. Not one.” Spinning into his blue suit, he swooped her up into his arms and into the sky.

Lois gasped. “But Perry? And James? And my father? Dr. Klein? Moonbeam?”

“Perry figured it out on his own. Lucy had to tell Sam. She didn’t mean to tell James. Or Dr. Klein. And she told you. You told Mayson. I have no idea about Moonbeam. I’m guessing she just knew. I haven’t told a single person. Actually, correction. I told H.G. Wells; the younger version that came to get me to help with Tempus.” He sighed. “Sometimes, I feel like I’m the only person who fears what could happen to Lara if the wrong people found out about her.”

Lois was quiet for a moment. “You’re right, Clark. I’m sorry. Please, forgive me. I’ll be more careful.”

“I know.” He kissed her cheek.
Thank you for reading. Please post feedback here.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 02/08/15 08:48 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.