Michael--
Is that a slip in Clarkent's mind?
Nope. Just the author's. :p Should be fixed now.

Why did the sudden appearance of an enchanted sword suffice? Couldn't North have simply had the rock carried away? It would be different if it where an old legend. But the sword appeared just 18 years ago out of nowhere. I'm not sure that's enough to establish legitimacy
I believe in Le Morte d'Arthur and The Once and Future King the sword in the stone appeared by the church right after Arthur's father died--"out of nowhere," so to speak, though I guess with the added Christian element. Thus, it wasn't an old legend. Plus, in T.H. White's work, Arthur was 15 when he drew the sword. I guess I figure that for my story there's a big respect/fear for magic. Nobody's been able to draw the sword, and finally someone does, and it gives Kryptonians the chance to get out from under a tyrant. Clarkent's hold will then be further solidified by the reappearance of "the Merlin." That's kind of my take.

Plain Jane-- Glad you liked the Arthurian twist! laugh I'm a fan of Arthurian literature, heh.

I didn't really aim to give any clues about the whole Merlin thing. However, it's not completely out of nowhere (though it mostly is, I guess, heh). Peri's a magician, and there's a mysterious sword in the stone (and some other Arthurian connections). Plus, there's the bird connection--Peregrine Falcons and Merlins are both raptors. Both kingdoms therefore associate Peri with a raptor. It was just a fun little twist I wanted.

Anyways, I loved this latest part!
laugh I'm glad!!

Amber-- Hahaha. I'm glad you are liking it, and I'm also glad you like how everything played out! smile It's been really fun to write.