Wow! I'm so glad that Clark saw Lois and Patrick kiss, but I'm even happier that nothing is going on between Lois and Patrick!

“I was going to ask if we could start over.”

“As in... acting like none of this has happened?”

“No. As in... me begging you to forgive me.” He took a step toward her.

Lois lifted her hand to stop his approach. “No!” She gulped to swallow the lump in her throat. “I survived the broken heart this time. I might not again.”
Well put, Lois. But of course, we all hope you'll reconsider. But I agree that Clark should suffer a little bit longer, so that he doesn't make the same mistake all over again.

Clark was sure Jonathan was angry about this whole situation because as soon as he’d finished his supper, which he’d accomplished in silence, he’d excused himself.
So Jonathan is punishing Clark too. That's good.

Clark couldn’t suppress the smile on his face. She was truly something else.
Sweet! Clark isn't angry or jealous that Lois has written a huge front-page story, he is happy and proud of her instead!

“Senator?” If there was a Senator involved, the last place he wanted to be was across the globe from Lois. What if she got herself in trouble and needed Superman?

What was he saying? She didn’t need his help. More importantly, she didn’t want it.
Oh yes, Clark, she might indeed need your help.

Clark meant well, because he only wanted to keep Lois safe. It was an honest mistake, but it was also a very serious, major mistake. He thought he could run her life for her instead of letting her decide things for herself. That's unacceptable. I am reminded of a very old comic book, where Superman proposed to Lois and wanted to marry her as Superman - but in order to protect her from villains who might want to kill her or use her to blackmail him, he was going to lock her up in his Arctic Fortress! Where she would be sitting all alone, deep in an Arctic windowless "cave"! And then he would come and visit her when he could find the time! Can you believe that Lois said yes???? (And in case you are wondering, they went through with the wedding, but then Lois found out that Superman had been mind-controlled when he proposed, so she asked for an anullment - the things you could read in the old comic books, eh?)

My point is that Clark made a very, very serious mistake, but now he has realized how wrong he was. Yes, he deserves to be punished a little more, but not too much more. Clark doesn't own Lois, but Lois also doesn't own Clark. It can't be fun to keep pining for a woman who keeps punishing him and punishing him. Clark isn't just another ex, Lois. He isn't Paul or Claude. He may have broken your heart, but your heart still needs him. And he has saved your life many times, and your life still needs him!

Ann