Originally posted by cookiesmom:
You say that Dr. Friskin's Letter is closer to the writing that you have done in the past; when I read the story I was thinking how much smoother and more natural it was than your first fic. The first one was well written, but it still felt like it was coming from a new writer. This one felt like it was coming from someone who had been writing fanfic for years.
Thank you! I wish I could say that my writing has improved that much since "The Birthday Surprise"; unfortunately, the seeming improvement is just because of my greater familiarity with scholarly writing. I have had several things (mainly articles and book chapters) published in RL, but it has all been in the realm of academia. Laying out facts in an orderly fashion comes second nature to me by now. But the whole area of characters' emotions, thoughts, and nonverbal communications, not to mention plots and pacing, is all very new to me. So if my first story looked like it came from a new writer, it's because, when it comes to fiction, it did. :-} But thanks to all of the kind words from you and others in this and the other fdk threads, I am definitely encouraged to write more, should the muse pay me another visit. (She seems to be on holiday at the moment. I have no additional story ideas in the works.)

Thank you so much!

cheers,
Lynn