Hi,

I am still reading and still enjoying this story very much, though I was a little saddened by this last chapter.

I completely understand Lois and Kal's disagreement, and can see both of their points of view. However, my sympathies lie very slightly more with Kal.

Firstly, I don't believe Kal intended to keep his visit with Za a secret from Lois, or he wouldn't have blurted it out on the eve of his wedding.

The trouble is that Lois is judging Kal as an adult, when he has only really been living for 10 years or so. She is also, in this particular case, judging him as an adult who has been brought up on Earth.

I am not saying that Kryptonian culture is right, in fact, I'm totally in agreement with Lois's take on life on Krypton, but Kal has no other society to base his judgments on. He is beginning to learn from Lois and because he is, basically, a fair and decent man, he is open to all her suggestions. Yet he knows only too well that he has to balance change with what the people of power on Krypton will accept. Krypton's society is balanced on a knife edge and anything could tip it into a civil war.

Again, I agree totally with Lois' dismay and anger at the treatment of women on Krypton. But Lois is in a unique position here. She can alter the standing of women in this society, but she has enough intelligence to realize she can't rush the process.

I feel that Lois overacted when Kal mentioned his visit to Za, though I do understand why she did so. Lois might be a very independent and competent woman, but she is alone on an alien world, and as such she must have some insecurities. Her very important place in Kal's life and emotions has given her the security to approach her new life as something of an adventure, though perhaps that is not the right word to use. So, it was somewhat predictable for her to balk when she heard of Kal's visit to his first wife.

But I think she is wrong to believe that Kal's visit was a sign that Kal and Za's relationship had deepened. Hopefully, with some time to reflect, she will think to ask why Kal felt he had to come to some agreement with Za. I'm sure she'll be a little more sympathetic when she realizes that Kal is simply offering Za the continued protection of her position as his wife. Not to do so would have thrown Za into the cruel arms of Nor.

Lois did take a big step when she accepted that if she wanted to have a life with Kal, then marriage was the best option available. Kal might be marrying her second in time, but he in no way considers Lois as second best in his life.

As you have made it plain, Lois is the best thing to ever happen to Kal, and he has come a long way in learning to be more human since she has come into his life. Sadly, he was sort of sleep walking through a life of responsibility and duty before she dropped into his world. Lois opened up possibilities for Kal and his people when she arrived on Krypton.

I also agree with the other readers that Lois can't expect Kal to ignore the needs of his people, or his responsibilities as Supreme Ruler. Just as Lois on Earth never wanted to come between Superman and his need to help people, I hope Lois on Krypton will come to the same acceptance.

Besides, if what you've hinted at might happen to Lois on this world, she might have her own responsibilities soon. smile

I am so hoping that the next part will be posted soon and that Lois and Kal can make up before the wedding is postponed. They both need each other as I suspect they will have many dangers to face in the near future. I'm sure that together they will be stronger than each alone.

Perhaps I'm critiquing your story a little more closely because of my earlier attempt to create the world of Krypton in Universal Union. But I am enjoying your interpretation so much. This was another very intriguing part and I look forward to the next.

Yours Jenni