If there is Kryptonite on Earth, doesn't that mean that Krypton has been destroyed and Kal has no home to which he might return? If so, it means that his reluctance to speak of Krypton is from his terrible loss, not just his being away from home. No wonder he doesn't like to speak of it. It's too painful.

It's nice to see Kal adjusting to human culture, although I wonder if he understands that American culture isn't the only one on the planet and what he learns from the Kents won't necessarily translate to other cultures. And his interaction with Lois certainly won't translate! Those two need to get together on something other than just exchanging youthful memories, even though that's important too.

I wonder if Kal will help Lois reconcile with her parents somewhere down the line? That would be nice. And I doubt that Jonathan or Martha would be upset by that. They're some of the least selfish people I've ever seen in popular literature, and you write them very well.

And I think it's great that Lois has found in them the surrogate parents she needs. She can depend on them to support her and love her no matter what she does. Even if she does something stupid, they'll still love her even while they help her to correct her boo-boos. Wonderful people, these Kents.

And I'm glad that Kal/Clark has made some friends of his own and that he can see a young family dynamic at work. It was cute that he was driving a toy car on his own knee as Adam was using his shin as a road. It shows that you know about little ones, and that Kal isn't too proud to play with children. After all, our kids will pick out our nursing home, so we'd better treat them nice.

Good reader incentive at the end, too. How will Kal react to the green K? How long will it affect him? What will Brian and Marli tell Adam? Next post soon, please.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing