Thought I'd give y'all a sneak peak of my story to see if it is worth posting. If there is any interest, I'll post the first section when my betas {my wonderful betas :: wink::} finish ripping it to shreds.

"Death"

The small room was covered in comforting wallpaper of ABC’s, crayons and teddy bears. Small bodies lay in various states of repose on soft flannel mats, some sucking fingers, others whimpering comfortingly. A shortish woman with curly red hair and green eyes watched them carefully, while pulling goldfish crackers out of puppets, and apple slices off the walls.

“Miss?” A slender mother stood in the doorway of the preschool, early, but apparently ready to take her young “angel” home. The teacher turned towards her, and smiled, before answering.

“Just a moment Mrs. Marten, I’ll wake Robert for you.” The red haired woman walked deftly around the mats, stopping at one that housed a brunette haired child. The preschool teacher paused for a moment, knowing what “Bobbet” was like when he was awake.

Did she really want to pull him from his peaceful sleep and make his mother face his hyperactivity all the way home? Oh well, she shook the boy gently. He woke quickly and raced to his mother, shouting the whole while.

“Mommy! I had crackers! Mommy, Sally and I dug a hole to China! Mommy! Look at my craft!” And so on and so on. The teacher shook her head- he was sure to wake the other children. Sure enough, Jonathon, and then Katy, woke up and began to bawl.

Mrs. Marten looked mortified and hurried her son out of the room. The daycare attendant looked around the room and sighed, heading for her purse. She needed some IB Profuen. Rubbing tiredly behind her slender glasses, she downed two of the pills before quieting the children enough that the other rooms in the building shouldn’t be disturbed.

She reluctantly pulled out the goldfish crackers once more, knowing she would again spend half an hour cleaning, but rationalizing it as half an hour cleaning or half an hour of screaming. Cleaning won every time. Eventually, her class of 17 toddlers all woke and she took them out to the playground. Like most preschool playgrounds, this one had a sandbox, swing set, giant tires, and Fisher Price play equipment.

Several other teachers also had their classes out in the fresh air. It was November and quite possibly some the last nice weather they would get all year. The women all held mugs in their hands, steaming beverages within. Her’s held Chai Tea, most of the other teachers had Cocoa or Coffee, both of which she didn’t drink. After an hour or so she slowly began to herd her children back into the room.

Eventually, all the children had been picked up. She headed for her small green Subaru in the parking lot of the Preschool Building. She had two errands before she could go home. First, to Issaquah and the PCC. She was out of soymilk and wheat germ. Then, to the post office to pick up her mail.

*~*~*

Journal,

I’m marrying him. He knows so much, has so many resources. I would have unlimited access to all sorts of information. I will never have a chance like this again. The opportunity of a lifetime. No more hurt. He can’t hurt me if I don’t love home. Just resources.
~L

Journal,

No more hurt. Just resources. Right. How stupid can you get? I was an idiot, talking to myself like that. Nothing is ever that simple. Oh yes, stupid.
~ L

Journal,

Stupid, stupid, stupid. How could I have so misjudged him? I should have known he’d be just like the rest. Oh yes, not once did he turn traitor but three times. Why? [The next words were unreadable, having been marred by a tear] loved him…..ark li…..upe…y stor….aid didn’t lo….ew him. I thought I did. Shows how you can trust my heart. Both of them, actually, all three.

~ L

Imagine.