Good story, Beth. I think Kal is adjusting. He's starting to use English contractions at times, which tells me that he's getting more familiar with English. And he's letting Lois get little peeks at his life on Krypton. If they are going to end up together, they're both going to have to open up their pasts to each other. And I think they will, eventually, after lots of anguish.

There's some deep pain in Kal's recent past, and if Lois want to help him deal with it (which, of course, she does), she'll have to let him let her in on his terms, not hers, which will require some patience on her part. And maybe she could drop herself into fewer troubling situations which require his assistance. Otherwise he might think that she's doing this just to get his attention. But I like the way she's handling their relationship so far. She's listening and not pressing, making herself available to him, and most of all she's not treating him as if he's some kind of god in blue tights but rather as a man with some interesting talents.

Cute little aside about Kal still realizing how his powers can be used. He also could have burned through the ropes with his laser vision, or frozen them with his breath and let Lois shatter them, or cut them with his fingernails. Showing us (and Lois) that he's not all-knowing helps to humanize him in her eyes and in ours.

I like this Officer Brian, too. He could be a good friend for Kal as well as being a kind of unofficial go-between for Kal and the police department. And I'm interested to see just what ideas Jack has for Kal. My main concern is that he might have to present himself as a foreigner to explain his overly formal English.

Keep it up! Still reading and still interested. It's different to see Lois get to know the man first instead of the Superman.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing