This is an amazing story, and it touches on alot of things. I've been reading different books lately...one I highly recommend is CONSTITUTION IN EXILE by Judge Andrew Napolitano. Another is THE END OF AMERICA by Naomi Wolf. One book was written by a conservative, the other by a liberal, yet they both point to the blatant disregard for the constitution both before and increasingly so after 9/11. So many have been willing to trade in liberty for security, which is understandable to a point. The problem is, when the gov't gets power, they rarely give it back. The Bush Admin. has justified the holding of the people in Gitmo based on their not being under the jurisdiction of the Constitution, but this is dangerous thinking. The assumption they are making is that the government gives rights to people, not that men are "endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights"--the laws of nature and "nature's god." So if the gov't gives the rights, then the gov't can take them away.

I have been reading this story eagerly, and my heart aches for the Lois of this universe as I do for all of us. My impression is that this Lois indeed lives in this reality, because even though there have been no more attacks on American soil to date, there is among many a sense that with our country embroiled in war in Iraq and Afghanistan, that we are still so vulnerable. While I myself believe that we should be getting out of Iraq, I also have family and friends within the military and I honor them for their service to my country.
Mostly, I feel the same apprehension you so vividly paint Lois feeling, as our rights are stripped away and hardly any seem to care.

Thomas Jefferson said, "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
It is sad that we live in such times, and I fear for the future of this great country. Too bad Clark Kent can't swoop in and save us. Unfortunately in this reality, it is up to us to save ourselves. mecry
Please keep writing...perhaps it will sound the alarm to others.
Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien