This story had some great angst!!
I sniffeled a few times during theire conversation at Lois' appartement.

There, he couldn't mistake that being directed at him, at least.
poor Clark...

"Go ahead and explain." She crossed her arms over her chest. "Tell me just what was so important that you had to leave last night. Tell me why you didn't answer your phone. Tell me why I spent the night half worried sick about you and half wondering what the hell I could have done to make you loathe my presence so much."
Poor Lois. She would actualy think that Clark woudn't want to be with her. (She's so wrong!!)

He heard a breathless "Oh my god" and looked back down at her in utter defeat. He offered her a silent hand. "C'mere," he said softly. "I'll take you home now."
Wow!! what a revelation!!

A brief look of shock crossed his face before it was replaced with anger and a not so small amount of hurt. "Didn't *I* care enough? Do you remember, Lois? Do you remember what you said to me?"
...and she didn't remember,*snif* *snif* poor Clark but also poor Lois. They're just both so hurt at the moment. I really don't know whom I should feel more sorry for!!

"I think so, Clark. I hope so."
but this is kind of a happy ending laugh

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet