That John Byrne explanation always seemed off to me, too. It works even worse for LnC than it did for the comics. In the comics it was improbable enough, given that comic book Clark is so much taller and broader than the Kents, and that his natural colors are unlike theirs (blue eyes and black hair is an unlikely combination anyway). But in the LnC universe, it was so obvious that Dean Cain was too dark-colored to be the biological offspring of K Callan and Eddie Jones.

Back in 1968, a good friend of mine, a thirteen-year-old girl, shocked me and everybody else at school by suddenly announcing that she had just become a big sister. Her mother had given birth to a baby. Nobody had had a clue about her mother being pregnant. I had seen her mother numerous times up until only three or four weeks before her delivery, and I never noticed anything unusual about her, even though she actually was a slender woman! I suppose she didn't really show until very late in the pregnancy, and after that she must have worn the kinds of clothes that hid the shape of her body. For some reason the family had never told anyone about expecting another child. Maybe they had been unable to conceive another child for so many years and were superstitious about talking about this pregnancy? But the baby grew up looking much like her older sister, so I've never been in doubt about her descent. Still, I guess I can't guarantee that the two girls - now women, 52 and 39 years old - actually have the same parents.

But with a child looking as unlike his supposed parents as Dean Cain's Clark Kent did, being adopted is the only reasonable explanation.

Ann