I didn't quote last time, being the lazybutt I tend to be, but I will this time. Because there are more specific things I like other than the immeadiacy of the style. Which I like. A lot. And can't get enough of--

*Ahem* Right. Excuse the tendency to gush. We've established I like first person Lois POV with my squeal last time. On to a long-ish quote.

Just then there's a soft thud outside and I take a precautionary step back into the shadows of his bathroom when the door to his balcony starts to open. To my amazement, Superman comes inside and shuts the door. Why would Superman visit Clark this late at night? I'm just about to greet him when he turns into a blur and suddenly Clark is standing there instead. He's wearing boxers and a t-shirt and holding Superman's suit. I blink and wonder if this is possibly the weirdest dream I've ever had. Clark heads in the direction of his closet and then he freezes.

I'm frozen, too. It's just dawned on me that what I'm seeing isn't a dream. This is for real. Oh my god. Superman just turned into Clark. Clark is Superman. It's so obvious and I wonder how I could have missed that fact for so long.

His head is turned towards the couch and I realize he's just noticed that I'm not there. His shoulders stiffen and then he turns around to face me.

"Lois?" he asks softly.

I don't answer since I have no idea what to say to him. Besides, if he's who I think he is, he should be able to hear me. I put one hand against the door's frame to support myself. Can he hear me? How good is his hearing? Good god, no wonder he was always getting that curious look on his face before running off. He was hearing things on the other side of the city; surely he can hear me breathing on the other side of the room.

"I think we should talk," he says in that same quiet voice.
I think this is one of the more poignant revelations I've read simply because of the mood at the beginning of the scene (I know it already was part of the first version of this, I just had to redeem myself by making a substantial comment other than 'squee'). She's just woken up, it's dark, she thinks she's alone, etc. The whole movement, stillness, the soft thud which indicates that it's really quiet. Either way all this happening after her fear at the events from gives this a feel that really appeals to me.

As for the dialogue after the "I've been horrible to you" line--Lara's part (as I understand it)--is right on the money and fits really well. The way that he turns her statements into positives and logics out her behavior is so Clark, it rings so...genuine (but thinking about it, really, I bet he's also relieved not to be screamed at, so he can afford to be super nice).

Something in his soft tone sets off a wave of panic in me and I lash out, hoping to hurt him with words since I can't do it physically. "Or what? You'll force me to stay?" I snap at him.

I regret it immediately. The way he looks at me now, you'd almost think I just ripped his heart out. He's spent the last few minutes trying to convince me that I'm not as horrible as I think and here I go, stabbing him in the chest with proof that I am. Give it up, Clark. Just hate me. It will be easier for everyone.
So classic Lois. The non-screaming path to anger works very well here, because despite the lying she's at his place because she knows that he cares about her and that he'll keep her safe. I think this makes it so she can't just yell at him and walk away (even without a threat to her life, which provides a logical reason) He's also not throwing the secret in her face.

And I really do hate him right now. With all my heart.
*chuckle* A very nice and WAFFy ending. The story feels a lot more wrapped up now. Oh, Lara--if I had written this I'd feel that I had NOTHING to feel shy about. It's really great stuff that seamlessly captures the vibe from where Sue left it off. It matches perfectly in both in the voice and in the overall mood. So, so, so nice.

*sigh* Great revelations never get old,
alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png