“Hi, Lois. Am I late?” A voice asked from behind her.

...Dan Scardino.

“Hi, Dan. No, you’re not late. I was early.” Lois shifted uncomfortably in her chair and turned to look at him, forcing a smile to her lips.

Where was Clark?

Dan flashed a smile of his own at her. “So, where’s Kent? He stand you up again?”
I've never been a Dan-hater, but it does seem that he likes to get his digs in at every opportunity.

Dan got a look of absolute confusion on his face. “But last night... I thought... You said...”

“I said what?” she exclaimed a little too loudly, noticing a few people turn to look at them.

Dan’s face flushed a little. “You said that you and Kent weren’t currently an item.”

Lois grabbed for the table as the room abruptly seem to tilt. She closed her eyes, trying to regain her balance. Why would she have said that? Told him that?

Unless it was true? How could it be true?
Very descriptive.

Oh, and another unrelated thought from the last chapter. If Lois is concerned that there might be a reason for her amnesia that extends beyond the physical (I know Clark was worried about that), then why isn't she seeing Dr. Friskin again?

Lois frowned as she remembered them kissing on her couch. She had ignored the way Clark implied that he hadn’t kissed her or touched her like that in a while. He had actually said something along those lines to her – that he had missed kissing her and touching her.

She had been a little distracted at the time and had dismissed the comment. But now she realized that he had been *acting* the same way
There's the reporter's/women's intuition that we're so fond of. It just screams LOIS LANE, how she's finally starting to put things together on her own.

Lois had determined, at first, to ride the entire trip to the prison in silence. But after ten or fifteen minutes of smothering silence combined with her rising frustration at the congested noon-time traffic and having to ride as a passenger instead of driving, she had given up that idea in favor of debriefing Dan on where they were at on the story... and explaining her *situation* to him.
Every so often, Dan has been her ally. It only makes sense that she trusts him just a little bit now.

Dan nodded at her. “Okay, I can respect that. For now.”
See? Dan acted like her friend when he backed away in the show, and he acts like her friend here, as well. He even acts like her friend when he tells Clark to treat her well, although I can understand why Clark hears it as a threat.

I like the way the situation with Dr. Klein is playing out. He's always been a bit of a loner, and now he finds himself without an ally. I appreciate the way that Clark doggedly looks out for Klein's interests. Usually, that's Lois role, but it plays well with Clark, as well.

I also like how confused Clark has been on how to deal with his second chance and how much he values it as he sees it slipping through his fingers. Maybe if he had shown some of that self-control that Woody (it was you; wasn't it, Woody?) had said they needed earlier, he would find himself in a better position now.

Elisabeth