I'm sitting here getting all teary eyed at my desk. whinging

I've told you before in private email and on the boards how much I envy your way with words. This fic only deepened my admiration. I love how you manage to convey in just a few images how Lois was always driven and determined. Her four steps for every one of Sam's is a great example of that. I also loved how he never saw the same qualities in Lucy, no matter how much he looked for them.

You're absolutely right - I can understand his disappointment when this gloriously gifted child chooses to use her talents as a journalist. It would seem like such a waste if you didn't believe in the power of words to make a difference.

His dismissal of Clark as a farmer's son was very poignant. Especially when he realizes who that "farmer's son" is. That's where I started getting weepy. And this... ah, this was amazing:
With Clark, I believe she can be both. So I will save him if I can, and it will be my one quiet act of greatness - my gift to my beautiful daughter. For once, I will meet her expectations.
"...quiet act of greatness..." Wow. This was achingly lovely, Caroline. Like Lois, you're gifted in being able to use the power of your words to full effect.

hail

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis