Ann, you know it's *never* too late to post feedback. laugh I'm so glad you're enjoying this story and its evolution — Dan and Mayson are proving so, so much fun to play with, and I'm glad you think that's showing through with the way they interact!

And your inference here was spot-on:
"You don't care" - that could mean that Lois knows that Clark won't be bothered by what she is wearing, but it could just possibly imply that Lois thinks that Clark couldn't care less about her clothing, because he isn't attracted to her anyway. Maybe she believes - or fears - that that she is just a friend to him, and she can never be more than that.
You are absolutely right. When I wrote that bit of dialogue, I knew instantly that Lois was apprehensive — not only because she was about to tell Clark that she had feelings for him, but also because there was a part of her that was incredibly scared that he didn't feel the same way. It's a teeny instance of double-speak, and you picked up on it straightaway! clap and notworthy

And this:
Oh, the scars that we carry because our parents tried to instill us with the right values.
Yes, yes, and holy cow, *yes.* Parents have no idea of the implications that some of the things they do or say (sometimes thoughtlessly) can haunt us for years to come. And in the case of Mayson's father, well, by trying to emphasize the importance of emotional strength to a 12-year-old Mayson, he has effectively denied her an outlet for any kind of grief. I hope that provides a little bit of insight into her character without seeming overwrought.

Aaaaand, eep, what a tangent. The point is, thanks for your lovely comments, Ann, and thanks so much for reading!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien