I would love to know how they managed to catch him in the first place. He must have been in a position where he couldn't get away without revealing his powers.
Yeah, pretty much. I might get around to telling that situation...

Hmmm, if Clark knows who Jack is, and is able to show up like he did and leave Jack puzzling about it all, why hasn't pointed out that he could kill anyone anywhere and leave no trace?
Because that would expose his powers. Right now there are a number of theories about how he avoids capture--but no one knows the truth. If Clark were in the mood to tell people about his powers he could have proved himself not guilty years ago.

At this point Jack knows that it is a possibility that Clark could kill someone and be long gone before they found anything, but the "leave no trace" part could only be explained if they know about his powers.

Perhaps a series of impossible robberies of multimillion dollar values where everything is returned just as impossibly a day or two later?
Huh? I'm confused. Clark doesn't want to expose his powers, period. He thinks it would ruin his life.

Ok, so you say, it seems at this point he can only go up.

What Clark has to think about here is the fact that, right now he is in known territory, but revealing himself would require venturing into unknown territory. It is a cost benefit analysis and Clark's estimation so far of the benefits is not worth it. Currently, in his own logic, he has more freedom than he would if people knew he wasn't a normal human.

Oh, PS--kudos to anyone who recognizes the reference to another show in this chapter.

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent