“Sheesh, Lois. How many days a month can one woman have PMS? I think you’re setting some sort of gynecological record.”
Bwah! That made me laugh.

I really liked that observation you made on the Lois/Lucy dynamic and Lois' rationalization of why she shouldn't confide in her sister. A realistic way of thinking, I thought.

It had felt so good, though, to let herself be free from all that responsibility for the few hours she’d spent in Clark’s arms. It should have been terrifying, letting herself be that vulnerable to another person, but somehow with Clark she hadn’t felt vulnerable. She’d felt safe. Protected. Even cherished, as trite as that sounded. It had only been later, when she’d seen him at the Daily Planet, that she’d let all the old doubts assail her and had felt vulnerable to him for the first time. Then she had panicked and thrown up every defense in her arsenal.
Very nicely put.

his personal advice tended to be wide of the mark and couched in so many Elvis analogies that she often had no idea what he was talking about anyway.
Ha! You know, Caroline, I really enjoy the way you write the supporting characters. I already mentioned my love for your Martha and Jonathan in a previous comment, and I must add Perry and Lucy to the list.

That whole coffee business was just fantastic, and I'd quote pretty much the whole thing if I could. Loved the injection of humor with "It was impossible to come up with decent similes without coffee, for goodness’ sake." (I write for a living, and am dependent on caffeine, so I particularly enjoyed that. wink ) And "How could she look normal when she couldn’t remember what normal was?" was such a precise encapsulation of Lois' turmoil.

He held her gaze, not pretending that he wasn’t watching her. He had promised not to speak to her, she remembered dizzily, but he’d never promised he wouldn’t look, and what was the point of not speaking if every feeling he’d ever had was allowed to blaze forth from his eyes?
I can totally see this in my mind. Such keen imagery.

Yet another excellent chapter, Caroline. I remain completely in awe of your writing. Here's looking forward to the next installment.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."