Lois felt like weeping at the sight of his dear, sweet smile. But how could he recognize these awful people who had brought him nothing but pain and suffering and not remember who'd shared his love, borne his children and whom he'd called his soulmate?

"These are the doctors who rescued me and saved my life," Clark elucidated patiently. He didn't quite understand why, but he felt it important that these people should get along. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. You wanted to know if you could trust them... well you can... Lois."
Oh wow, Jenni, that was evil! Lois thinks that Clark has completely forgotten her, while he remembers - fondly remembers! - the doctors who are guilty of his pain and sickness. But then - triple whammy!!! - Clark proves that he does remember Lois, or at least her name, but he seems rather unmoved by her, as if he had actively rejected her!!!! OUCH!!!!

Of course, I don't for a moment believe in the rejection bit... but it was an evil cliffhanger, Jenni, I have to say.

All of this is agonizing, but constantly logical and believable. Well, considering what has been done to Clark's head, so that he gets horrible migraine attacks when he tries to remember the time when he was healthy, and when he was happy with his family.

I think my favorite part of this chapter is this:
But even when Superman had completely forgotten who he was, the guy was a hero. No matter what we tried, he refused to accept any order that would cause harm. A weapon's not much good if it won't kill or maim.
What a wonderful, wonderful tribute to Clark this is, Jenni. Clark is a hero because of what he is in his innermost self, not because of his flashy powers. Strip those powers away, and he is still such an amazing hero. A caring, compassionate man who can't be made to deliberately harm anybody. How extremely beautifully you put this.

There are many other lovely things to be found in this chapter. I loved the interaction between Lois, Matt, Marje, Adrienne and Stephan. (Eh, but I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me what a "stoatir" is.) And it was just extremely lovely to see Lois sit by Clark's side and concentrate on reaching him telepathically, and while she didn't get a telepathic answer from him, her transmission reached him, and he slept peacefully.

All in all, this is a great chapter, another one! Wow, and now I can't help feeling we are getting close to the ending here. Surely there can't be more than, say, three or four chapters left to go? Or am I wrong?

Will Adrienne and Stephan make Clark regain his memory? And will Lois, Clark and their children be happy again? That is the million dollar question. I'm impatiently awaiting the answer here!

Ann