Thanks to both of you, Ann and tvnerdgirl.

Ann - I am the same way. I love the "tough" Lois, but we see the insecure Lois from time to time. Usually Clark is the only one who gets to see her that way. Because by the time she gets back in to work after something's happened, she has "steeled" herself and is back to her normal tough self. The one episode that's my favorite example of this is "Witness" from season 1. When Lois was strangled in her apartment and Clark rushed in a revived her, she was so vulnerable. Even asking Clark not to leave her to try and follow the man who had impersonated Mr. Tracewski. But then by the time they got back in to work, she was back to her old self. Perry asked her what she was doing there and she said "I work here Chief. I have a job to do." Very matter of factly.

I felt like that is what she was doing in my story. She needed time away from everyone to pull herself together so she could she face everyone with her tough exterior. And since she does show her insecure side to Clark, it naturally came out when he came to check on her.

But thank you so much! I'm glad you "got" what I was trying to relay in my writing.

And tvnerdgirl, I loved referrencing that scene about Clark's "pretend" wife that Lois had proposed. It seemed so fitting and ironic.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.