This is a fascinating discussion of whether or not fictional people, events, and settings (like Harry Potter) actually exist (and, of course, the answer to that question depends on how one defines the word "exist" and in the context where the question is asked). The video is from the Idea Channel, and the concepts presented here (and in the preceding video) can melt one's brain if one is not careful. I'd really like to read some other reactions to this presentation.

I think it has some bearing on our website because we write fan fiction about fictional characters in familiar but fictional settings and get our noses out of joint when someone insists that "You can't write it that way because it's not real! The characters would never speak/behave/think that way!"

I really liked the reference to the worlds of Myst, where one change - no, I'll let you find it. And I'm posting this for entertainment value only. Your mileage will probably vary.

Spoiler:

The host does not present a final conclusion, assuming that a final conclusion is even possible.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing