I’ve been reading a lot of authors from across the pond lately and I don’t recall ever seeing anyone “named”. Does anyone know why? Does “naming” have a different shade of meaning over there? How would someone indicate an alias versus a legal name?

In American English, “calling” someone something appears to have a slightly different meaning than the other English variants. (Though I think the Canadians may be on my side here.) In American English there is a distinction between the sentences, “A boy called Harry Potter,” and “A boy named Harry Potter.” I always think, “If he’s called Harry Potter then what’s his real name?” when I hear the “called” version of the sentence.

In AE “calling” more indicates a preference of address or a nickname. If someone is introduced as “called” then it can be safely assumed that a nickname is being used, rather than something they would sign on a check.
“Naming” on the other hand usually indicates a legal designation or a less formal variant (i.e. Harry rather than Harold).

Examples in AE might be:
“Call me Daniel”. (OK, Scardino was a wierdo but it still makes my point.)
His name was Clive Staples Lewis but he preferred to be called “Jack”.
He was called David Bowie but his name was David Jones.

Thoughts?

Shallowford