If they have essentially the same body and have the same memories, aren't they essentially the same person? How could anyone ever tell the difference?

What if they could repeatedly, at will, combine memories like this? Then they could work together and actually be in two places at once. In the morning they would agree who would be Clark that day and who would be Superman. At night they would sync up. It would work out kind of like Multiple Man from Marvel comics.

Now that I think about it, this scenario would have interesting implications for the other side of the board... devil wink (I'm picturing a situation where Lois was in on it.) (In on the secret I mean. But yes, also what you're thinking.)

Alternatively, if they decided not to continue syncing up, we'd end up with a Thomas Riker situation. Except hopefully "Jerome Kent" wouldn't end up working with the Maquis-equivalent. (Lex? Since he's his "dad"?)

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)