Wow! Three categories! That's a really nice wake-up call.

I am both amazed and stunned by this honor. My health situation decided to put me in bed really early last night and actually drove the date out of my mind, so I didn't see this until Michael emailed me a congratulations. Thank you so very much! Just goes to show that perseverance pays off in the long run.

I've read quite a few books and magazines on writing, but this is the place where I've put those lessons to best use. I've learned to write here on this site, presenting stories for you FoLCs, and you've forced me to be a better writer with every offering. I wish we could offer real money here, not just for me but for everyone who offers him or herself to be flayed to the bone with every post. There are those who deserve such rewards far more than I do - although I wouldn't turn down a little extra coin.

Still, the standard disclaimer specifically states that we're writing these narratives for love and not for money. I'm not sure I'd survive that rat race. Here, I know that any and all criticism is given for the writer's and the product's improvement, and we're all the more enriched for it.

Thanks to all who helped put this event together. Thanks to all those who offered these tales over the past year. Most of all, thanks to the readers who get to appreciate some of the best writers on the planet, no exaggeration intended or implied. You guys are the greatest ever.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing