Thanks again to all who expressed concern for my situation. I wanted to post an update: Things became really bad shortly after I wrote this story -- a couple of times, my son even bit me hard enough to break the skin and send me to a walk-in clinic for antibiotics. With the help of a wonderful social worker from our state organization that deals with children who have major behavioral challenges, we were able to get my son into an appropriate facility as an in-patient in November, and just yesterday, he was finally transferred to their residential side, where he will be able to attend an on-site school. Everyone I met there seems nice, and I was extremely impressed by his primary therapist and his teacher.

To say I have mixed emotions about him being there and me becoming an empty-nester under these circumstances is a huge understatement, but (intellectually, at least) I am certain that this is for the best for both him and me, and that both of our qualities of life will be better for his being there.

- Lynn