I was recently reminded of a story I'd written a long time ago that came back up in the comments, and long since abandoned (credit to PuffyTiger for reminding me). This is a universe I know I'll probably never go back to, because I've had many other ideas develop further that I would like to complete first or explore more. I'm sure we've had threads like this come up before, but I figured, hey, it doesn't hurt to have a place to stick some old ideas and see if anybody else wants to pick it up and play with it.

Think of it like the Goodwill for fic-outlines. goofy Add your own! Or feel free to play with one you like. And please, if any of these ideas already exist or are similar, point me in the direction of the story as well! smile1

Lois and Clark post-show, circa 2008-economic crisis. In a Bernie-Madoff type situation, Murray (or whatever the guy's name is who wants to merchandise for Superman) has made some bad investments with the Superman Foundation's money, and they are nearly bankrupted. Clark, obviously upset because he didn't see any of this coming and all of it happened right under his nose, decides to take more of an interest in the business/political aspect of it all. Clark starts obsessing with this case, and while Lois starts out supportive, she gradually discourages Clark from getting involved in the political side of things, as he already spends enough of his time as Superman, and they have three kids. Clark ignores her warnings, and decides that Superman having a presence in public office might help him clean up the streets in a different way. It might be just what Wells was talking about when talked of them bringing around Utopia. Superman decides to run for Mayor.

Complications ensue. You can take this wherever you'd like. Original plan was for Lois and Clark to be fighting, near the point of breaking up before mending things at the end, Clark Kent to be outed as Superman by a mix-up of his own words, and facing off Bruno Mannheim of the comics as the main antagonist... and possibility of a WHAM or two happening to someone devil , but as fate would have it the idea never panned out.

Clark arrives in Metropolis, but a year too late. How does Lois Luthor fare when a mystery reporter from the Metropolis Star starts investigating her husband through mysterious phonecalls to her desk at LNN? How does this "Charlie King" go about gathering all of this information on Lex when she's been married to the guy for several months now and can only scrounge up minimal evidence? And why does looking at him put butterflies in her stomach? It has all the makings of an affair to remember. (This one I abandoned a long time ago before ever posting about it, but I had a nice full outline. In a lot of ways, Terry's State's Evidence came super close to what I sort of had in mind, but as always, the more fics the better. )

Any ideas that you've abandoned? Who knows, maybe talking it out a little in here might have you picking it back up again, too.

(All that being said: there are also some stories that I've left behind that may look abandoned but are in fact just lying dormant, waiting for a plot bunny with a baseball bat to inspire me again or even just the time to finish it... there's hope for me yet.)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain