Perry forgot all about his high blood pressure and fired back, “This state has shield laws for journalists to protect their sources!”

Kell continued talking as if Perry had never spoken, “The Daily Planet’s legal department would never have allowed this story to have run without affidavits and any other documentation that led to these scandalous lies about their company. If those sources Clark Kent used to write that article are not given over to us within twenty-four hours as proof, this newspaper is going to be embroiled in a multimillion dollar lawsuit. That’s my business in your ‘newsroom’.”

The last time Perry felt that angry was when James Olsen sent down an efficiency expert named Chip to change how the newsroom was run. The snot nosed little twerp lasted less than five minute in his office. That was Perry’s brand of efficiency. He shot back, “Got any papers to back up that request, Junior?”

Perry watched as Kell pulled a thick envelope from his breast pocket and laid it on his desk. He smiled playfully at the older man, perfectly assured his charm would soften the blow until he said. “Don’t think that the folding of this ‘great metropolitan newspaper’ will affect me. My paper of choice is The New York Times.”

With those words, the immaculately groomed lawyer turned and exited the office, passing Clark’s desk. He pointed to it and called out, “If I were you I would distance the newspaper from this person as soon as possible. He’s poison. Have a good day Mr. White.”

Kell’s visit had been lightening quick and just as devastating. Perry sat down heavily in his chair, stunned and still angry. “Great shades of Elvis,” he whispered.

Oh noooo!!!! This is bad! B-A-D!

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube